Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2015, 03:59 PM - 4 Likes   #1

Underwater shots with the Pentax Q7

Hello again,

I just finished my second dive with the Penta Q7 and 5-15mm lens. You might be wondering how I got the Q7 underwater in the first place. You can get more details on my approach in this thread here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/224428-underwater-housing-q.html#post3295250

We went diving fairly late today, and the sun disappeared behind a thick layer of clouds. Combined with a visibility of 5-7 meters, this essentially made the dive a night-dive. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but I need to upgrade my underwater flashlight in order to get more photo light into the photographs.

Overall the Q7 is an OK underwater camera. Its certainly NOT an SLR, but it is far from a slow compact too. I am planning on purchasing the 8,5mm prime lens, which I think will be a better fit underwater.

The dive today was very good, and lasted for about 45 minutes at depths of 26 meters.

But... Moving on to the photographs, which have all been post processed in Adobe Lightroom. Overall I was quite pleased with how the photographs turned out!

Comments and critique is very much appreciated!

I was quite pleased with how these anemones came out. This was the look I was going for, so spot on. 2 slightly different versions

This was huge, about twice as large as any other sea urchins I've seen in the area. Lit up from the side with the flashlight

I think this is a Grey gurnard fish. Its head is about the size of my fist. First time I've seen one on a dive

We where lucky enough to see a lobster. This one was quite large, the largest I've seen while diving in Norway. It wasn't as happy to see us, as we where to see it, though

Thank you for watching! These and others are part of my Underwater gallery: Zenfolio | Joachim Haagen Skeie | Underwater

07-07-2015, 05:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joachimhs Quote
Hello again,

I just finished my second dive with the Penta Q7 and 5-15mm lens. You might be wondering how I got the Q7 underwater in the first place. You can get more details on my approach in this thread here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/224428-underwater-housing-q.html#post3295250

We went diving fairly late today, and the sun disappeared behind a thick layer of clouds. Combined with a visibility of 5-7 meters, this essentially made the dive a night-dive. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but I need to upgrade my underwater flashlight in order to get more photo light into the photographs.

Overall the Q7 is an OK underwater camera. Its certainly NOT an SLR, but it is far from a slow compact too. I am planning on purchasing the 8,5mm prime lens, which I think will be a better fit underwater.

The dive today was very good, and lasted for about 45 minutes at depths of 26 meters.

But... Moving on to the photographs, which have all been post processed in Adobe Lightroom. Overall I was quite pleased with how the photographs turned out!

Comments and critique is very much appreciated!

I was quite pleased with how these anemones came out. This was the look I was going for, so spot on. 2 slightly different versions

This was huge, about twice as large as any other sea urchins I've seen in the area. Lit up from the side with the flashlight

I think this is a Grey gurnard fish. Its head is about the size of my fist. First time I've seen one on a dive

We where lucky enough to see a lobster. This one was quite large, the largest I've seen while diving in Norway. It wasn't as happy to see us, as we where to see it, though

Thank you for watching! These and others are part of my Underwater gallery: Zenfolio | Joachim Haagen Skeie | Underwater
Great shots!

It is mid winter here but I live near ray/ shark heaven (nice, small sharks). Getting keen on the idea of photographing them. Come spring I will be shopping!
07-07-2015, 08:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow,,,,look great. Much better than the WG-1 that I usually use. Need to get your set up for Hawaii next time.
07-08-2015, 12:24 AM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool! Nice lighting in particular on the first one, really beautiful!

07-08-2015, 04:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

can you share some more details and if your kind enough the stl's for printing if you don't mind..please?
what's the exact type of case you got?

do you use the onboard flash?

seems to be the ideal solution for me... not willing to spend thousands on a new camera and housing as there is no real solution for our Pentax cameras anymore...
and better than the point & shoot i have

Last edited by max_pyne; 07-08-2015 at 05:27 AM.
07-08-2015, 05:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Second and third are my favorites. Great pictures, would be nice if Ricoh made an official underwater mount for it as slim as possible.
07-08-2015, 05:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great images Joachimhs. You are pushing the Q to new frontiers.
thanks for sharing
barondla

07-09-2015, 12:21 AM   #8

Original Poster
As I mentioned in the YouTube video, the details are:

The 3D printed parts can be found via Tinkercad: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/kuWq...
Link to Ikelite Housing: Ikelite | Underwater Housings for Sony Cameras...

The video is available here:

QuoteOriginally posted by max_pyne Quote
can you share some more details and if your kind enough the stl's for printing if you don't mind..please?
what's the exact type of case you got?

do you use the onboard flash?

seems to be the ideal solution for me... not willing to spend thousands on a new camera and housing as there is no real solution for our Pentax cameras anymore...
and better than the point & shoot i have
07-09-2015, 04:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joachimhs Quote
As I mentioned in the YouTube video, the details are: The 3D printed parts can be found via Tinkercad: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/kuWq... Link to Ikelite Housing: Ikelite | Underwater Housings for Sony Cameras... The video is available here:
sorry i've overlooked it.
07-09-2015, 04:50 AM   #10

Original Poster
Not to worry, Thanks for your interest!

It was certainly a fun project to do!

QuoteOriginally posted by max_pyne Quote
sorry i've overlooked it.