Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2015, 02:15 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Landscapes with the Q

I've been hunting about the internet for a while now looking for a selection of landscape shots and tips for the Pentax Q, but nowhere seems to have any. Thought here would be a good place to find some great Q landscape examples - please share your experiences! I'll kick off with a couple of shots I took in Wales recently. Full-size shots are on flickr here (account is pretty new so not much on there yet!).

I found the Q slightly 'murky' for landscapes so far but it was a bit of a challenge for it in terms of dynamic range, so shouldn't be too surprised if it struggled somewhat. There is a strange halo around dark edges in the third shot which I haven't seen before (and I've not added in post) - not sure where that has come from.

First two are the 03 fisheye, the last one the 06 telephoto at 15mm, all on the Q-S1. Please add your own shots and feedback!

Attached Images

07-12-2015, 02:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Q shots were ok
Q7 is better
06 at wide end

Onaero Bay NZ
07-12-2015, 03:02 AM   #3
Site Supporter

07-12-2015, 03:17 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

Which lenses are you using for that? The bottom one looks very lomography-esque - mount shield lens, perhaps? Love the colour of the sky second-from-bottom.

07-12-2015, 03:40 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cantthink193 Quote
Which lenses are you using for that? The bottom one looks very lomography-esque - mount shield lens, perhaps? Love the colour of the sky second-from-bottom.
If you click on the images the EXIF can be seen in flickr.
To make it easy:
07-12-2015, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

These are all with the 02 standard zoom. I no longer have the Q, I'd like to pickup a Q-7 or Q-S1 some time. More cityscapes here, but I consider those part of the landscape realm. I've tried to choose some different types of lighting, the rainbow has that "stormy" lighting, and a night shot to complete it.

07-12-2015, 07:18 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Love the football ground shot with the sky. That is a cracker. I have been a bit disappointed with the results from the 02 zoom - perhaps I need to revisit it and see if I can better myself!
07-12-2015, 07:59 AM   #8
Forum Member

Great shots here everyone

07-12-2015, 08:08 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
<cut>
I really like these. I'm getting a Q10 myself (won an ebay auction) because it's just so much fun. I know the Q10 is probably not as desirable as the Q7 or Q-S1 due to its smaller sensor, but then the Q never was about ultimate pixel peeping quality anyway. And because of the smaller sensor it was pretty cheap to buy.

Anyway, looking forward to it even more now.
07-12-2015, 08:51 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cantthink193 Quote

I found the Q slightly 'murky' for landscapes so far but it was a bit of a challenge for it in terms of dynamic range, so shouldn't be too surprised if it struggled somewhat.
Sadly I haven't played with my Q for a while so thanks for the images & memory jog!
I wonder if reducing contrast a notch or 2 in the custom color setting would expand the lighting a bit.. I must give that a try to see what I think.
07-12-2015, 05:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I forgot to comment on your photos which you asked about in the first post. I like the first shot but it is a little murky/dark. I know it seems as if you lose a little light when you post on this site, but have you tried adding some fill light to the image. If you can bring some light into the foreground it might change the picture entirely. Maybe the same on the second. I think the third shot is excellent, perhaps push the clarity to put a little definition in the clouds.

Thanks for the comment on the stadium shot, had to miss with a sky and light like that. I took another picture of the many people who were taking photos of the sky with their cell phones.
07-12-2015, 08:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
These are all with the 02 standard zoom. I no longer have the Q, I'd like to pickup a Q-7 or Q-S1 some time. More cityscapes here, but I consider those part of the landscape realm. I've tried to choose some different types of lighting, the rainbow has that "stormy" lighting, and a night shot to complete it.
From the name of the file, can we assume that the first one was taken in Columbus OH?
(I really like that view)
07-13-2015, 02:32 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
From the name of the file, can we assume that the first one was taken in Columbus OH?
(I really like that view)
Correct,thanks
07-13-2015, 02:44 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
These are all with the 02 standard zoom.
wow that first one is amazing, almost otherworldly
07-13-2015, 04:32 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Vulcano Osorno, Chile, September 2014. Q10 with 02 lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q10  Photo