Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2015, 10:19 AM   #16
Pentaxian

You're SUPPOSED to update the firmware. Even if you brick it updating it, that's not your fault as long as you do it right and it should be covered under warranty. As far as returning it to the store, I doubt they'd even know if it was changed unless you tell them. (And if it was bricked doing a firmware update right after you bought it, I'd just return it as DOA.) Updating firmware is one of the first things I do when I buy a camera after seeing that it turns on, etc...

07-15-2015, 10:59 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by spinno Quote
so in essence what you're saying is that I should ask the camera retailer if I can update my firmware should the manufacturer upgrade said firmware for the period of warranty.... so say there's an issue with new FF camera Pentax KF1 and Ricoh/Pentax release firmware to correct and advise all purchasers to upgrade.. should the camera then develop a different fault then it won't be taken back under warranty... Not sure what your consumer law says in US but that is a bad contract and would be treated as such in UK
You guys like going off on tangents here. I am not talking about voiding warranties or manufactures not taking the camera back. I am specifically speaking about returning the camera to the original seller. Usually the store (not talking about the manufacture here nor any warranty issues) has a 14 – 30 day period of time in which you can return the camera. It is during this period of time that you cannot change the firmware. And yes several that I have spoke with do check. I recently returned a defective camera after having it six days and that was the first thing the manager tried to check. The problem with the camera prohibited him from getting that far into the menu system. They ordered me another one in which I picked up the following week.
07-15-2015, 11:05 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
You guys like going off on tangents here. I am not talking about voiding warranties or manufactures not taking the camera back. I am specifically speaking about returning the camera to the original seller. Usually the store (not talking about the manufacture here nor any warranty issues) has a 14 – 30 day period of time in which you can return the camera. It is during this period of time that you cannot change the firmware. And yes several that I have spoke with do check. I recently returned a defective camera after having it six days and that was the first thing the manager tried to check. The problem with the camera prohibited him from getting that far into the menu system. They ordered me another one in which I picked up the following week.
That would apply mainly to distance selling- stuff bought on mail order and amazon rather than stuff bought from a physical shop.
Wasn't trying to go off on a tangent but was trying to understand any issue regarding updating firmware and consumers "rights"
07-15-2015, 06:02 PM   #19

Original Poster
on to topic. I find that the camera can focus in broad daylight well (and fast too) and a bit hard on some places where there is poor lighting although there are some instances when I'm trying to focus an object far away from where I'm standing I just moved a tiny bit and it'll now lock its focus.

Also, I'm still getting a focus confirmation beep, but the subject isn't in focus and the box is highlighted red. don't know if this is an issue, but I could get used to it.

but nevertheless, the lens actually does work and it is damn sharp!

---------- Post added 07-16-2015 at 09:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
same scenario here in my country. Some shops, and sellers (not ebay etc.) if you want to return the item and you've made some changes to the firmware etc. be it smartphones, cameras etc. you basically have 50/50 chance of them accepting the return I think it depends on the seller if they are actually practicing "consumer rights" but as for my Q7, return is probably not an option since I got it overseas (Japan) and even if they accept returns, I'll have to wait so looooooooooooooooooooooong to get it across and back again haha!

Last edited by redeleon; 07-15-2015 at 06:08 PM.
07-18-2015, 02:09 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I had the same issue with a new 06 lens, retailer was out of stock and couldn't replace it, sent it to Pentax and they sent me a new replacement 06, try the retailer first, and firmware will not fix this issue.

Hans
07-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redeleon Quote
on to topic. I find that the camera can focus in broad daylight well (and fast too) and a bit hard on some places where there is poor lighting although there are some instances when I'm trying to focus an object far away from where I'm standing I just moved a tiny bit and it'll now lock its focus. Also, I'm still getting a focus confirmation beep, but the subject isn't in focus and the box is highlighted red. don't know if this is an issue, but I could get used to it. but nevertheless, the lens actually does work and it is damn sharp!
May I suggest that with the 06 lens mounted you go into the menu Settings menu 1, AF/MF settings, Autofocus method and set it to the last selection which is spot focusing. I find that to be more accurate then using some of the other settings such as the "auto" setting which I have found to be rather arbitrary in selecting what to focus on. You might also check the C menu item #8 to see if it is set to Focus or Release Priority. Factory settings for all the C menu items is 1.

I'm guessing but based on some things you said, was this camera previously owned? If so you might have some success by doing a reset and going back to the factory settings. If that does not work then it sounds like you may have a bad lens.