Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2015, 04:49 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax Q 06 trouble focusing

Hi guys, I just got a Q7 with 02, 01 and 06 lens. The 01 and 02 works really great! But I'm having a hard time trying to get a subject in focus all zoom ranges. Even if i back out a bit still wouldnt focus. I was wondering whats wrong with it.

07-14-2015, 08:37 AM   #2

I am surprised at that. This lens usually gets good reviews from users.
Any other information regarding your settings might help.
07-14-2015, 09:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Are you sure to respect the minimum focus distance ? The 06 need at least a few feet (something like 4') to focus properly, compared to a few inches for the 01/02. The 06 will not focus at distances where the 01/02 will work just fine.
07-14-2015, 09:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I agree with CarlJF. Back off at least four feet when using the 06. If that does not provide the results you desire, without knowing what camera settings or changes may or may not have been made to cause this unusual situation I would suggest you reset the camera to original settings and see if that cures the problem. If possible try the lens on another Q and see if you get the same results. The lens itself might be defective, or been dropped or...... If so then I would contact the seller.

Last edited by CWRailman; 07-14-2015 at 09:07 AM.
07-14-2015, 09:04 AM   #5

Original Poster
I've reset the whole camera settings and tried to focus from afar (est. around 6 feet away from target)
it just hunts and sometimes it will lock its focus but its not really in focus.
07-14-2015, 09:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redeleon Quote
I've reset the whole camera settings and tried to focus from afar (est. around 6 feet away from target)
it just hunts and sometimes it will lock its focus but its not really in focus.
Since it only happens with the 06 lens it sounds like the lens might be defective.
07-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just wondering, are you running the latest firmware?
Is the lens mount okay? No dirt, grime on it, not bent or anything?

I would recommend you do a systematic approach where you place the camera on a table or tripod, then use a measuring tape to make sure there is enough distance between it and the subject. Best to do this in daylight, so the AF doesn't have to struggle. Enable the timer, so that camera shake is not part of the final photo. Now select MF, focus "by hand" using focus peaking, take the shot, then de-focus, enable AF, and try again to see if the AF will get something similar to the MF photo. Is the MF photo good quality? Does AF lock at all? Do this at widest and longest focal length. Make sure the subject is something obvious, far from the background.

These are the things you can check before returning the lens. Maybe you could upload a photo up here with full exif for us to help you further. Hopefully its still in warranty.

07-14-2015, 10:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Just wondering, are you running the latest firmware?
Just a heads up. If you make any firmware changes to the camera you might not be able to return it.
07-14-2015, 01:33 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
Just a heads up. If you make any firmware changes to the camera you might not be able to return it.
surely you should make sure you are up to date with the firmware - why would that invalidate any warranty or make it impossible to return.
Using someone else's firmware/software such as magic lantern I can understand but using pentax/ricoh?
07-14-2015, 02:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No problems with my 06 here. Focuses great.
07-14-2015, 04:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spinno Quote
why would that invalidate any warranty or make it impossible to return.
They could say that you screwed up something when you changed the firmware and that is causing the problem. Actually that has happened before. If you buy from a store and change the firmware they will not take the camera back. While I really do not want to get into a conversation or dispute about this you can always contact the seller before doing any changes to firmware to see how such changes will impact the ability to return the item.
07-14-2015, 05:39 PM   #12

Original Poster
Ill do another test later on outside with daylight since it is now morning. Hoping it was just a human error or Im going to be a really sad puppy.
07-15-2015, 09:15 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
They could say that you screwed up something when you changed the firmware and that is causing the problem. Actually that has happened before. If you buy from a store and change the firmware they will not take the camera back. While I really do not want to get into a conversation or dispute about this you can always contact the seller before doing any changes to firmware to see how such changes will impact the ability to return the item.
I'm not looking for an argument but just wondered why - in that case would you never update the firmware on any camera?
07-15-2015, 10:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spinno Quote
I'm not looking for an argument but just wondered why - in that case would you never update the firmware on any camera?
I did not say nor imply NEVER. Why don't you call a camera store and ask them if they will take a camera back after you have changed/updated the firmware and see what they tell you. If the camera is defective and in this case based on the information provided, it seems that updating the firmware is not the issue since it's an Q7 which was issued after the 06 lens was out and the base firmware already accommodates the 06 lens. Buy a car and start making changes to the engine and see how that voids the warranty. If the seller determines that you made changes to the camera they do not have to take it back. I believe some of the retailers actually say that on their receipts.
07-15-2015, 10:15 AM   #15

so in essence what you're saying is that I should ask the camera retailer if I can update my firmware should the manufacturer upgrade said firmware for the period of warranty.... so say there's an issue with new FF camera Pentax KF1 and Ricoh/Pentax release firmware to correct and advise all purchasers to upgrade.. should the camera then develop a different fault then it won't be taken back under warranty... Not sure what your consumer law says in US but that is a bad contract and would be treated as such in UK