Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2015, 11:19 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A Shot in the Dark

Occasionally I have read that shooters have had issues with the Q series focusing in dark environments. This evening I returned from an outing and because I did not know I was going to be out so late, the house was totally dark. In my shirt pocket I had my Q7 with the 01 lens. In total darkness I aimed the Q7 where I knew the entertainment center was, tripped the shutter, the red light came on, the camera beeped to acknowledge that it had achieved focus and using the flash, which had not been extended, I took this photo. My Q7 did not seem to have any problem focusing in total darkness at this entertainment center which was about 15 feet away. The glare in the left hand side of the image was the flash reflecting in the mirrors on the side of the shelving unit. By the way this image was shot at ISO 200, f1.9 and I think the flash covered the scene pretty well.

07-28-2015, 04:49 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The highly reflective wood helped. Try it on a non reflective subject such as a sofa.
07-28-2015, 07:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter

The entertainment system probably has enough structure and form to be seen as a contrasty outline. Focusing on something with a lot less form, like a blank wall, is a focus-killer.

Still, Pentax's low light focus capability across the product line is impressive. I compared my K-3 to my MIL's Canon T3i and the T3i could not lock focus in dim light at all. So, yes, kudos to the Q!
07-28-2015, 09:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
The entertainment system probably has enough structure and form to be seen as a contrasty outline. Focusing on something with a lot less form, like a blank wall, is a focus-killer.

Still, Pentax's low light focus capability across the product line is impressive. I compared my K-3 to my MIL's Canon T3i and the T3i could not lock focus in dim light at all. So, yes, kudos to the Q!
Unless you are taking a photo of a black cat in a coal bin in a totally dark environment I think the Q7 would do OK. While this was not a planned exercise and just sort of happened, I was actually a bit surprised that it did so well and it was set to the PHD mode.