Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-28-2015, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Don’t Leave Home Without It

I do a lot of traveling by motorcycle and while I do get out on the road for lengthy trips with a motorcycle that has locking bags, many of these excursions are day trips in which I do not get more than 60-70 miles away from home on a smaller motorcycle that does not have locking luggage. In such cases because I am on and off the bike investigating interesting places along the way, I do not want to carry a plethora of camera equipment that I have to watch over but I want the ability to take an image of anything I might come across that looks interesting. Back around 2007 I purchased this Nikon Coolpix Lll to keep in my shirt pocket when taking such trips and it performed admirably producing remembrances of hidden places I came across on those trips.

Several times I took a few shots and then planned on returning with a more capable camera. On my return I found the structure or feature that attracted my interest had either been demolished or something was now in the way so I could not get the shot. This rusty truck is an example of an opportunity almost missed. I shot this with the Nikon but when I went back several months later with my DSLR, after our summer heat had subsided, it and a few other such relics were gone.

Last year I retired the Nikon and one of my Q7’s with a 01 lens has assumed those duties. As I previously demonstrated in another thread, this does easily fit into my shirt pocket, vest pocket or jacket. The Q7 (with it’s shoe leather zoom) does all the Nikon did and much more and in many respects negates the need to go back with a more serious camera. Though I was carrying the Q7 with the 02 lens in my belt mounted bag on this day, here is an example of the Q7 capturing something that is now gone. Had I waited for the opportunity to get up there with my DSLR I might have missed capturing the images I shot that day as this historic established has been razed to make room for urban expansion. In addition if someone offers to take your picture you can switch the Q7 to PHD mode and hand it to them and get this sort of result.

By the way, the images I get from my current Nokia Lumina 928 cell phone are far better than what the little Nikon can produce so I see how far cell phone camera technology has improved over the years.

So what did your Q series camera replace.

07-28-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My K3 replaced my Canon S100. Actually the sale of the S100 went towards a steal of a deal on a Sigma 100-300 F4. Definitely doesn't fit in my pocket... If I need portability I remove the battery grip, clip the K3 to a belt or bag strap with the Peak Design Clip system (with hand strap), and the velcro a small lowepro pouch to the other strap/side of belt. I bring along the DA 15, 35 ltd, 70. Two of which are attached together in the pouch. I bought extra rear caps and glued them together so they wouldn't rattle or bounce around. I've done long hikes with this setup. The pouch also fits a lens cleaning cloth and my polaraizer which fits all three lenses. I still miss the size of the S100, but this is pretty decent.

Nothing beats the open road though.
07-28-2015, 12:51 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
A LOT of missed photo opportunities. As you've pointed out so well, the best camera/lens is the one in hand when you want to make a picture.

Without an exact comparison shot with the ?$?$ who's gonna know how much difference there might be between the two?

Besides, it's kind'a fun too.
07-28-2015, 02:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hasn't really replaced much for me. But I only bring it with me now and then when I want something to take pictures just in case, but I'm not planning to. Mostly I've used it for occasional super telephoto, and as a camera that's lightweight enough for my wife to use even when her carpal tunnel is bothering her.

07-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

In 1976 I used my Christmas gift money to buy a Vivitar 110 camera, which I chose based on Consumer Report tests which showed it to ptovide the sharpest pictures of pocket cameras in my price range. Around 1990, I replaced it with one of those "clam shell" Olympus 35mm cameras. When I went digital in 2007, I bought a Canon Elph. Then, last December I bought my Q-7 (and added a 01 lens) to replace the Elph, despite those here who told me that I shouldn't try to turn it into a pocket-able camera. Thus, I have had a pocket-able camera since 1976, upgrading periodically to provide improved image quality, because I am one of those who believes that the worst picture is the one I cannot take.

Last edited by reh321; 07-28-2015 at 09:16 PM. Reason: remove trash inserted by trashy program on my computer
07-28-2015, 06:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
At first, it was to replace a Sony Cybershot W830, itself a replacement for a Canon A470. We liked the Canon as a family camera and bought the Sony to replce it when it broked. However, after a few months of use, we didn't really like it and I personally hates shooting with this camera, which isn't even a P&S but a P&P (point & pray). So, I was looking for something better, giving a bit more control than a P&S and saving in raw format. I first looked at expert compact but the good ones aren't exactly cheap and cost way more than what I was wishing to pay. I've looked at m43 and Nikon 1 system, but the're not that compact as a system, and not cheap either. So, I've taken my chance with a used Q + 01 + 03 that was listed on the marketplace. I Dddn't really know if it would fill the bill since I never had seen one before, even Pentax dealers don't have it in my area. I was thinking that, if I didn't like it, I could still sell it after a few weeks for about the same price I paid.

So, long story short, I just love this camera. With the 01, it takes about the same space than the old Canon. And the whole system, to which I added the 06, can easily be carried around in a small Lowepro Apex60 pouches. When I don't want, or can't, bring the DSLR, the Q is there to do the job. The Q is just perfect for family outings, vacations, or to bring just in case...

BTW CWRailman, it's a nice bike you have!
07-28-2015, 09:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian

We have two Q Classics in the family. Our 2009 backpack trip featured a dSLR in my hand and a Canon A720is for my wife. I didn't prep enough to know ahead of time that alkiline batteries would fail miserably with the A720, so my wife was quite unhappy that she had the chance and the interest, but no viable camera. She wanted us to have matching cameras to make it easier for her, and the two Q+02 are the result of that. In my hand it didn't quite replace anything, but it sure is a convenient versatile & talented little camera

Here she is trying to squeeze one more flower shot from the A720.. Sierra Nevada near Bridgeport CA