Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2015, 05:12 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Q10 Problem

Hi, I sold my Q10 to a friend of mine (and upgraded to a Q7), and she used it on her vacation in France during the last few weeks, with no issues.

Now she came back, and she has a weird problem that I will try to explain (I haven't myself seen it, it's just what she told me in a message or over the phone):

Since She came back, the only buttons that are working are the ON/OFF button, and the shutter release, No other button seems to work on the back of the camera, and she cant access the menus, nor do a preview of existing photos.

She removed the battery, and the lens, put it back (making sure it's 100% charged) but no change.

Right after taking a shot, she was able to go to the menu, and tried to reset the factory settings, but it did not changed anything...

One thing she noticed, is that the shutter release seems half-pressed all the time, when she takes photo, the is no "beep" to confirm focus...

Does anyone has experienced a similar problem in the past ?

She will bring me the Q10 next week so I can have a closer look, but right now, I suspect the shutter release button is the cause...

Any insights would be welcomed..

thanks

08-06-2015, 05:57 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
One thing she noticed, is that the shutter release seems half-pressed all the time, when she takes photo, the is no "beep" to confirm focus...
I am a Q10 user but never had a problem remotely close to this. Might be shutter got stuck half release and preventing camera to work properly ?.. Weird problem...
08-06-2015, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The shutter button half pressed makes me wonder if she splashed something on it, maybe like a soft drink that has dried and crystallized between the button and housing.keeping it "half pressed". I would take a close look and maybe "exercise it" (upside down so if there is something there it falls out and not further in).
08-06-2015, 07:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Actually, she just confirmed that this is what is causing the problem... She pulled up the shutter release and everything is working normally.
but when she press on it again, it doesn't come back to its original position...

Like you said, may need a little "exercise", or a electronic contact cleaner shot...
Or there is probably a small spring underneath the shutter that has moved from its original position, or maybe some dirt or sand got inside ?

08-07-2015, 07:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Actually, she just confirmed that this is what is causing the problem... She pulled up the shutter release and everything is working normally.
but when she press on it again, it doesn't come back to its original position...

Like you said, may need a little "exercise", or a electronic contact cleaner shot...
Or there is probably a small spring underneath the shutter that has moved from its original position, or maybe some dirt or sand got inside ?
I know from unhappy personal experience you can get that kind of effect by getting a small amount of soft drink into the area (it has happened to our computer keyboard). When the liquid evaporates, it leaves small sugar or other crystals behind (we've had this problem with diet drinks, not just those with sugar).
08-07-2015, 08:03 AM   #6
Pentaxian

My old k-x would have an issue where my sweaty fingers would slowly get stuff into the fine gap where the shutter button sits on, and it would make the shutter stick every now and then. I solved it by taking a damp napkin and wiping around the shutter button while the camera was off and letting it dry.

So it's not necessary to have spilled stuff onto the camera to get a similar situation.