Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2015, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What's your largest print from a Q/Q7?

I had two of my photos printed at 12" x 18" by my local photo lab. The images came out absolutely beautiful! I think I could print even bigger with no loss of enthusiasm or image quality.

This print size is pretty amazing to me. The Q7's sensor is 7.6 mm x 5.7mm, or somewhere in that neighborhood if Google is to be trusted. That works out to 43.32 sq mm of surface area. My print's have a surface area of 139354.56 sq mm. That's an increase of 3216.86x! Holy cow!

If the numbers don't mean much then consider this : the sensor is about the size of a human thumbnail or fingernail depending on the size of the hand. From that sensor I printed an image that's about the size of a 21" monitor.

I'm not sure why this amazes but it does!

What's the largest image anyone here has printed from their Q/Q7?

08-09-2015, 07:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I had two of my photos printed at 12" x 18" by my local photo lab. The images came out absolutely beautiful!
Which lens did you use? I can imagine the 02 zoom struggling here at its long end.
08-09-2015, 07:51 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

This software works quite well if you need to print larger: Perfect Resize 9.5 – ON1, Inc.

I had a small crop of a photo from my K-5 which printed quite nicely at something like 13x19 (crop wasn't that aspect ratio so a bit of the sheet was unprinted and covered by mat board) using PerfectResize
08-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
While its not that large, its was a pretty big deal. My previous job involved shooting the catalog for the Baseball Hall of Fame. I got a full page shot from the original Q in there. The Q-S1 looks even better, so I'd have no doubts that it could print up pretty large.

08-09-2015, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #5

I've done a lot of upsizing (commercial lab 2006-2013). PS4 and newer does a good job if you use bicubic smoother. Perfect resize is good too. The real trick is not sharpening until after upsizing. I've had good luck with JPEGS, the Pentax JPEGs are really pretty good if the image is properly exposed and has the right WB and is not pre-sharpened. The Photoshop raw converter seems to add a little 'edgyness' to the image, I think other converters might be be better but I haven't tried them.

My quick and easy PS workflow for large prints from Q7 or Q-S1 JPEG files:

Image size> 30x40 @ 300 ppi. all boxes checked, bicubic smoother

Smart Sharpen> basic, 30%, 10 pixels, lens blur

Smart Sharpen> basic, 100%, 2 pixels, lens blur

Image Size> 12x16 (or what ever), 300 ppi, all boxes checked, bicubic sharper

You may want to add a little sharpening just before printing, depending on your taste and printer.

If you want a 'film look' add 2% noise between sharpening.

If you have noise issues, you might want to open your file in Camera Raw and set luminosity and color @ 50%. You can use denoise in the filter menu, but it find that it isn't as effective and tends to degrade the image.

This may not be the best way to print big, but it works for me.

The 02 zoom does have its limitations, especially at the long end. I've had stunning results from an adapted 90mm Rodenstock APO-Rodagon N, but it isn't what I'd call a 'walkaround' lens. I have found the Pentax 110 lenses to be very good when stopped down (with a washer) to f4.5.

I actually once made a 48"x240" stitched panoramic from a 1:1/7" sensor camera (pre Q). It looked pretty good—if you were at least 4 feet away!
08-09-2015, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

We slightly cropped this image to fit and had it printed it on a 12x18 canvas for the owner of this model. It looked like a high detailed painting.

08-10-2015, 06:53 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Which lens did you use? I can imagine the 02 zoom struggling here at its long end.
My first print is from this image :

_IMP1198 01 STANDARD PRIME 8.5mm f1.9
by Boris, on Flickr

It was made with the 01 lens at f/1.9, with focus almost at minimum.

My second print is from this image :

_IMP1229 06 TELEPHOTO ZOOM 39.3mm f3.2
by Boris, on Flickr

It was made with the 06 lens at almost full zoom, 39.3mm, and f/3.2.

I didn't avoid picking an image from the 02 lens. IQ of the 02 seems fine when I I view images full-screen on my monitor. I just didn't find one that tickled my interest.
08-10-2015, 12:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It was made with the 01 lens at f/1.9, with focus almost at minimum.
It was made with the 06 lens at almost full zoom, 39.3mm, and f/3.2.
Thanks.
I didn't avoid picking an image from the 02 lens. IQ of the 02 seems fine when I I view images full-screen on my monitor.
I find the 02 pretty good at the short end, except close up.
At longer settings, it doesn't quite seem to have that edge.

09-13-2015, 10:26 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Under the "Shared Shots" Thread I shared this portrait that I had taken with the Q7 and explained the camera settings etc. used. This shot was taken on a Sunday morning during one of our motorcycle breakfast rides and I had the Q7 in my belt mounted very small camera bag. At the time I posted the image I noted that I was making a 16x20 print from this slightly cropped Q7 file. Here is the photo now framed and mounted and the happy subject/owner. The streaks across the framed photo are glares in the glass that could not be avoided in this shot.