Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2015, 02:43 PM   #1

Q7 can't remember its date.

Hello

Every time I charge the battery, the camera's date needs to be reset, is this normal in the Q7?

I'm getting tired of doing this every time I need to charge the battery, and the battery drains quickly. Any input appreciated.

Thanks,

08-17-2015, 02:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Well no, it's not normal - except that it seems to be becoming normal for Pentax cameras. I (and others) have a K-01 and original Q that does the same.
Not much can be done other than correcting the date each time you swap batteries or pay to have it fixed. I don't think it's worth the cost.
08-17-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
Forum Member

Found this thread on DP Review - concerns the K20 but may help anyway. One person said they solved the problem by cleaning the battery terminals. I dunno. K20d issue... Date/Time resetting when battery removed.: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
08-17-2015, 03:08 PM   #4

Some solutions are in this post: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/261992-date-time-settings-al...ml#post3120202

08-17-2015, 03:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Not sure how clean battery terminals are going to help. The problem occurs when the battery is removed.
Those other 'solutions' never worked for my two cameras. I see no way it has any connection to the type of SD card being used. That's just fantasy imho. Many people swap SD cards and buy new ones when the old one is full. I have an Optio S5n in the cupboard that never loses it's date, it's a 10 year old camera!
Thing is, the internal battery used is discharging faster than is should, they don't recharge it's likely just a button battery, like the battery on PC mainboards, if it's flat then the bios is reset and the date reverts to manufacturers default, but the computer still functions.

This is the battery for the Canon 350D's time/date.

And the Canon 40D

It's just a pity that Penatx don't make the time/date battery accessible so easily.

You can see the button battery on the right hand side in this shot of the Pentax K-r:

I think what we're experiencing here is a failure on the part of Pentax/Hoya/Ricoh to use decent internal clock batteries.
08-17-2015, 04:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mario150 Quote
Hello

Every time I charge the battery, the camera's date needs to be reset, is this normal in the Q7?

I'm getting tired of doing this every time I need to charge the battery, and the battery drains quickly. Any input appreciated.

Thanks,
I would try a new battery first. If you are constantly recharging your battery, it might be weak and not hold a sufficient charge to replenish the cameras internal battery.
08-17-2015, 05:06 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you all for your help.
I think I will try another battery since it is the easiest way to see if it helps, however I just bought this camera brand new, but maybe it was on the shelf for a long time.

08-17-2015, 06:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
I would try a new battery first. If you are constantly recharging your battery, it might be weak and not hold a sufficient charge to replenish the cameras internal battery.
Based on research I don't believe the internal battery is rechargeable. Clearly you do. Can you provide any evidence that this is the case?
The logic of "it might be weak and not hold a sufficient charge" doesn't hold water because every battery new or old becomes 'weak' before the camera indicates 'Battery Depleted'.

---------- Post added 08-18-15 at 11:26 AM ----------

I think I will try another battery since it is the easiest way to see if it helps, however I just bought this camera brand new, but maybe it was on the shelf for a long time.
In that case, return it for exchange.
08-17-2015, 06:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You say you just bought this camera brand new. In other posts folks have indicated that sometimes a fully charged battery has to be in the camera for a few days for the time set to take effect. You might also do a search of previous postings on this subject as I recall one discussing some such problem caused by the SD card. Here are a few of the previous posts on this subject and there may be more. The search tool on this forum is useful.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/261992-date-time-settings-al...eset-help.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/283676-original-q-date-time-...e-battery.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/217146-date-adjustment-lost-...reset-now.html