Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-27-2015, 06:12 PM   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Soon-to-be-Q7 owner - and K adapter tripod foot?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Well, I've been thinking about it for some time, but I finally pulled the trigger on a Q7 twin zoom kit (body plus 5-15 and 15-45), a spare battery and the official Q to K adapter. I had been thinking of buying a Sigma 150-500 for my K3, but figured I would get much greater telephoto range by using the Q7 with adapter and my existing K tele lenses - plus I get a pocket Pentax to play with

I have a question re the Q to K adapter - is the tripod foot available for it? I saw this mentioned in the review, but a casual look online didn't unearth anything - at least, not available in the UK.

Thanks

---------- Post added 08-28-2015 at 02:22 AM ----------

Oh, I just found it - same as the DA300 one - HOLY CR4P! 90 bucks!!

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-27-2015 at 06:30 PM.
08-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Oh, I just found it - same as the DA300 - HOLY CR4P! 90 bucks!!
Yup. It's probably a better deal to just get the DA 300 - but then again, the tripod mount is pretty essential unless you're using a lens with a mount of its own. The DA* 60-250mm's foot will work too.

Also note the MF/speed limitations of the Q for telephoto when considering it against the K-3 with a long lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-27-2015, 06:38 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bought the tripod foot from an eBay seller in Japan. I paid about $30.
08-27-2015, 06:41 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Also note the MF/speed limitations of the Q for telephoto when considering it against the K-3 with a long lens.
How do you mean, Adam? In terms of handling? I'm OK with MF for my purposes - the only other downside I can potentially think of is target acquisition using the LCD screen of the Q7 vs the viewfinder of my K3...

---------- Post added 08-28-2015 at 02:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I bought the tripod foot from an eBay seller in Japan. I paid about $30.
I found him! Just ordered it. Thanks - that's saved me $60!

08-27-2015, 07:30 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

In terms of handling?
Yeah, mainly handling and focusing. The limited resolution of the Q's display makes it hard to determine what's in focus, at times. Plus, the DOF is so shallow that you have to be extremely careful with the focusing ring.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-27-2015, 08:31 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How do you mean, Adam? In terms of handling? I'm OK with MF for my purposes - the only other downside I can potentially think of is target acquisition using the LCD screen of the Q7 vs the viewfinder of my K3...
A flash shoe mounted passive viewfinder from an old rangefinder helps with target acquisition. I have one originally from a Yashica Electro - they're about $25 on eBay. Using a Red Dot finder originally intended for spotting scopes and rifles also works, but they're much more expensive and elaborate and require a special adapter to convert the Weaver mount to flash shoe mount. Every so often someone offers a complete set here. The Q Forum has several threads about target acquisition - look especially for examples posted by Crewl1, barondla and Hans.

I'm on my tablet right now (PF mobile) so I'll come back later and add some links for you when I'm on my laptop..
08-27-2015, 10:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I got this awhile ago and it works just fine.

Pentax Tripod 38100 Import Japan | eBay

08-28-2015, 06:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I had a Q7 with the the adapter. Honestly it wasn't that hard at all to handle. Loads of fun. I would suggest getting the FA 100-300mm (not the power zoom one) lens as its really sharp, pretty light weight, and you can get it for less than $100 usually. 300mm = 1410mm on Q7, where as the bigma would be 750mm eqv. on the K-3
08-28-2015, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
A flash shoe mounted passive viewfinder from an old rangefinder helps with target acquisition. I have one originally from a Yashica Electro - they're about $25 on eBay. Using a Red Dot finder originally intended for spotting scopes and rifles also works, but they're much more expensive and elaborate and require a special adapter to convert the Weaver mount to flash shoe mount. Every so often someone offers a complete set here. The Q Forum has several threads about target acquisition - look especially for examples posted by Crewl1, barondla and Hans.

I'm on my tablet right now (PF mobile) so I'll come back later and add some links for you when I'm on my laptop..
Thanks. I've heard of the red dot sights being used, but will need to read up more on that. An optical viewfinder sounds more my kind of thing

Looking forward to the links - much appreciated!

---------- Post added 08-28-2015 at 11:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
I had a Q7 with the the adapter. Honestly it wasn't that hard at all to handle. Loads of fun. I would suggest getting the FA 100-300mm (not the power zoom one) lens as its really sharp, pretty light weight, and you can get it for less than $100 usually. 300mm = 1410mm on Q7, where as the bigma would be 750mm eqv. on the K-3
That's encouraging to hear - and thanks for the lens recommendation - that would come in handy on my K3 also
08-28-2015, 03:22 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking forward to the links - much appreciated!
This linked Post under the sticky thread 'Pentax Q Resources' in the Q sub-Forum discusses the K for Q Adapter, Red Dot Sight and the Tripod Foot in many related posts..
08-28-2015, 03:58 PM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
This linked Post under the sticky thread 'Pentax Q Resources' in the Q sub-Forum discusses the K for Q Adapter, Red Dot Sight and the Tripod Foot in many related posts..
Thank you! Bed-time now, but I'll read in the morning
08-29-2015, 03:41 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
A DA-L 55-300 works well too. Well does on my original Q with the Pentax adaptor anyway. It's also a fairly light lens and with care possible to handhold in good light.
08-29-2015, 05:12 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
I have a Sigma 70-300mm APO lens that I currently use with my Q-7. I got it because it gets high ratings in the PF Reviews for sharpness and CA; it is a good lens, but it loses some detail when mounted on the Q-7, presumably because pixels are more crowded on that sensor than on an APS-C sensor (I forget the technical term for ability to keep details truly separate). How does the FA do?
12-15-2015, 04:49 AM   #14

I would like to join other posters in recommending the original Pentax tripod foot from tokyo*city on ebay. I paid 30$ including postage to Denmark and I had it 6 days later (no customs duty). The cheapest alternative was a thirdparty foot found in US (can not remember where; it was a week ago :-)). They wanted 50$ for the foot and........ 129$ for sending it to Denmark!

12-15-2015, 07:28 AM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikdyb Quote
I would like to join other posters in recommending the original Pentax tripod foot from tokyo*city on ebay. I paid 30$ including postage to Denmark and I had it 6 days later (no customs duty). The cheapest alternative was a thirdparty foot found in US (can not remember where; it was a week ago :-)). They wanted 50$ for the foot and........ 129$ for sending it to Denmark!
Yes, that's the one I went for in the end and I'm very pleased with it. Thanks for the response