Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2015, 10:17 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by someone902 Quote
The size is basically it's biggest strength, although the lens selection is pretty thin compared to other mirrorless cameras, its still outstanding that the Q system essentially has its own "holy trinity" of lenses despite only having 8 lenses to choose from.
Only having 8 lenses to choose from? The Q can use nearly any manual lens ever made, and all with shake reduction!

09-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As they say, the best camera is the one you have in hand when the photo opportunity presents itself. Here is an example of just such an opportunity. Shot taken originally in color JPG after a morning motorcycle breakfast run. Later converted to B&W using Lightroom 5. I would not have had my DSLR with me for that event but did have the Q7.
09-02-2015, 11:57 AM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Professor Batty Quote
Only having 8 lenses to choose from? The Q can use nearly any manual lens ever made, and all with shake reduction!
I know, I meant it as a system and it's native lenses.
09-02-2015, 12:19 PM   #19
Site Supporter

When people talk about "available lenses" they are referring to "Native" lenses. Not something that can be used, minus some features such as auto focusing or maybe proper metering, through an adapter. That being the case almost every camera, with the aid of an adapter, can use almost any lens ever made and as such talking about available lenses would be rather ridiculous.

09-02-2015, 01:30 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
When people talk about "available lenses" they are referring to "Native" lenses. Not something that can be used, minus some features such as auto focusing or maybe proper metering, through an adapter. That being the case almost every camera, with the aid of an adapter, can use almost any lens ever made and as such talking about available lenses would be rather ridiculous.
I specifically said any manual lens. There are many cameras that do not accept donor lenses due to depth of flange to image plane distances. The beauty of the Q is that it will properly meter and have shake reduction, which very few cameras offer, even if they can accept an adapted lens.

"… minus some features such as auto focusing… "

Using that criteria the Q system has only 4 lenses!

09-02-2015, 05:09 PM   #21
Site Supporter

"… minus some features such as auto focusing… "

Using that criteria the Q system has only 4 lenses!

Interestingly enough, those four are almost all you'll ever need. You have high quality zooms that together cover 18-200mm focal lengths in FF speak plus a prime. Could you use a single super zoom and maybe a macro or portrait lens? Maybe ... But those four together pack a serious enough wallop to satisfy the general Q population. For anything else there are the adapters, just like in other lens ecosystems.
09-02-2015, 06:38 PM   #22

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you shouldn't sell the Q system short. The "native" lenses are fine. But they are only a starting point.

The Q7 and Q-S1 work almost seamlessly with a wide variety of donor lenses. (Read the Nikon 1 forums about the difficulty of adapting and using other lenses to those cameras!) The MFT cameras will accept c-mount lenses but not with good edge to edge coverage and they are pretty pointless with d mount lenses.

And finally, there are four great (and very cheap) Pentax 110 lenses which are as nearly as good (or better) as the Q zooms. Their lack of aperture rings is less of a problem than one might think. Most critical shooters use the Q lenses wide open or nearly so.
09-02-2015, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Interestingly enough, those four are almost all you'll ever need. You have high quality zooms that together cover 18-200mm focal lengths in FF speak plus a prime. Could you use a single super zoom and maybe a macro or portrait lens? Maybe ... But those four together pack a serious enough wallop to satisfy the general Q population. For anything else there are the adapters, just like in other lens ecosystems.
This is exactly what I am trying to say. I have the 4 lenses and I am very satisfied with what I can get from those 4 and my camera. Not everyone is gonna have an interest into buying non-native lenses(like me). So when I read OP's thread, this is the first thing I think of.