Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2015, 01:46 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
. . . my nose would be on the left hand edge of the back . . .
And that's the point!

It's a sports-shooter alignment device . . . not a 1/4-minute angle of accuracy thing . . . you get stuff you'd never had the opportunity to capture without it. It just takes a little effort an' practice.

The greatest advantage is that you can keep both eyes open - and focused on the distant action instead of the near-focus LCD VF.

I don' wanna play the 'have experience' card here, but . . . it does WORK in its intended application.

(If it doesn' t . . . well, try a many-$$ red dot sight if you wish -- same issues and results. And, yes, I have.)

---------- Post added 09-03-15 at 15:53 ----------

I'm gonna point out that if ya just start out with an oversized 'screen' ya can define the FoV as you want it.

Jeez, guys. It's FREE. Give me a break here . . . and use it as you see fit. It's not intended as a 1/4-minute of degree accuracy device. It's a SPORTS-FINDER.

If ya wanna shoot macro ------ find another solution!

Gotta love an experimenter!

Last edited by pacerr; 09-03-2015 at 02:01 PM.
09-03-2015, 02:13 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you are looking for a low cost viewfinder you might consider the finder that comes with this set of lenses. I saw a set for sale at my local second hand shop and it's pretty close to the 15-45mm 06 lens. For the price someone might want to experiment.
Vintage Camera Photography Kaligar Auxiliary Telephoto and Wide Angle Lenses | eBay
09-04-2015, 06:58 AM   #18
Lens Buying Addict

Yashica Tele-Wide hotshoe finder does the exact same thing - with ONE entrance and exit pupil - but they're $30 +/- due to digital rangefinder (Q, K-01, etc.) demand.

This is a really neat hack!
09-04-2015, 07:25 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Cut the VF thingy out of one of those cardboard throw-away cameras and try to match it up with a given FL lens.

09-04-2015, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #20
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maltfalc Quote
pointless without the back half to keep your eye lined up with the lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
Agree!! But I think he's just pulling yer leg.
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
(OBTW - I'm neither 'stupid nor inexperienced! Jeez, has no one out there used a wire view finder on a 4x5 Speed Graphic?
I have, and they work quite well. The eyes tend to center and square things naturally.

A lot of things seem pointless if you don't know how to use them.
09-04-2015, 10:20 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
(OBTW - I'm neither 'stupid nor inexperienced! Jeez, has no one out there used a wire view finder on a 4x5 Speed Graphic? Or a TLR sports finder? )
apparently you haven't.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I have, and they work quite well. The eyes tend to center and square things naturally.

A lot of things seem pointless if you don't know how to use them.
*sigh*

Last edited by maltfalc; 09-04-2015 at 10:31 AM.
09-04-2015, 10:51 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

*sigh*
Yes, they have rear apertures as well as the front wire. The rear is not used for action photography, quick street shots, etc. It's only used when time allows for a carefully framed shot.

As I said.......................

Last edited by Parallax; 09-04-2015 at 04:47 PM.
09-04-2015, 03:39 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The rear is not used for action photography . . .
Thank's for pointing out the obvious use for ANY single-plane framing device, J. For a second or so there I was beginning to wonder if I'd been doin' it wrong all that time. Mmmm, well, of course that's assuming I'd ever actually even seen, much less used a Speed Graphic for sports action.

Now, when I wanted 1/4-minute angle of accuracy for framing I'd have preferred to use an attached OVF or the ground glass options for the 4x5 anyway. But verifying the actual FoV of the the OVF's was such a PITA. And calibrating those accessory RF's -- jeesh! Well, that's assuming I'd ever actually even seen . . .

I've gotta confess though, there were times when I cheated, YES, CHEATED! and used rubber bands or transparent tape to sort'a "re-define" the FoV of the basic wire frame with or without using the rear aperture if parallax and/or unusual FL's were involved. I do sure hope that admission doesn't offend anyone's purist tendencies and I apologize profusely if it does. Of course if I'd never actually even seen . . .

But, hey, scribblin' a coupl'a Magic Marker lines on a piece of plastic while holdin' a Q just so each time ya shoot just seems so easy in retrospect -- an' those that choose not to try it or don't have success with it are welcome to ignore the whole idea if they so choose.

Tracking and anticipating action while focused on an LCD screen a few inches from one's face isn't easy. Lookin' through an imaginary "ghost ring" sight while framing and focused on the action itself is far easier in my experience -- and helps to anticipate that critical moment that makes or breaks an action or sports shot.

Isn't it interesting that lately some folks are discovering single-plane, red-dot sights to aid in acquiring a target for long tele lens? Gee, how can that possibly work?

(Oh, an' thanks for the 4x5 glamour pix, maltfalc. Those rear apertures are SOO sexy. Pity we'll not likely see an affordable 4x5 digital sensor ain't it? Especially without the need for that messy wet darkroom stuff. OBTW, what's the Serial Number on your 4x5(s)? The only one I still have's SG #446017. It's out to pasture now but I'm slowly workin' on a scheme to convert it to house, and shoot with, a Q7 -- hey, just for the fun of it. )

Last edited by pacerr; 09-04-2015 at 03:51 PM.
09-04-2015, 03:59 PM   #24
Lens Buying Addict

You could fit four or six Q's inside that wire frame.
09-04-2015, 11:47 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dh4412 Quote
you've inspired me to at least try making one of these, pacerr, found this little square thing among my 'stuff ' don't have a clue what it was from.
attached with super glue to a spring-clamp paper clip, with one 'handle' removed, slips right into the hotshoe.
if i set the Q on 1:1, and just barely touch my nose to the lcd, voila - works great with the 01 lens - at least on the few shots i've tried so far.
This looks awesome, perhaps if you had a spare hot shoe cover lying around you could glue the rectangle to that? So you don't have the body of the clip obscuring the screen.
09-05-2015, 12:50 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter

pointless without the back half to keep your eye lined up with the lens.
Tell that to an olympic recurve archer. The rear sight is provided by a consistent facial anchor point. If you do the same with your camera the position of the eye will be consistent enough to provide a reliable rear sight. The system will lack precision mainly by the proximity of the front sight, but I suspect it would be acceptable for wide to normal lenses.
09-05-2015, 07:17 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
. . . The system will lack precision mainly by the proximity of the front sight . . .
A center point based on the actual view relative to the actual lens axis as viewed on the LCD screen is consistent regardless of the FoV

-------

Back to the original intent of this zero-cost twidget perhaps?

Nope, it's NOT exact -- but neither were most of the other 96-99% OVFs you've ever used.
This was suggested simply as a field expedient FRAMING AID for sports/action shots when no other VF device is as useful. Especially useful with a small MLIC or P&S IME.

Costs nuthin' an' works for some folks. Nuff said!

Last edited by pacerr; 09-05-2015 at 07:26 AM.
09-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #28
Site Supporter

I like it pacerr. Neat, quick DIY. I will build a few of these. Keep posting these DIY ideas.

Never shot sports with my Graflex though. Can't imagine how those photographers ever got shots in focus.
Thanks
barondla
09-05-2015, 11:45 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Can't imagine how those photographers ever got shots in focus.
No kiddin' My Mentor at the time claimed it was because I wasn't holdin' my tongue just right when I shot. Or was it 'cause I wasn't 'zone focusin' an' anticipatin' the action? Don't remember now but the economics of shootin', developin' and printin' 4x5 or 6x6 was an incentive to do it right we don't see with digital 'film' today, huh?

It was also sort'a hard to stop action with a flash bulb in any case. Hated those. Burnt my fingers too often changin' 'em in a hurry.

Well, of course that's if I'd ever shot a 4x5 . . . or a 6x6 TLR . . . or with flash bulbs for that matter. . .
09-05-2015, 06:47 PM   #30
Site Supporter

4x5 doesn't have much depth of field. Zone focusing seems tough in this format. Reminds me that there is a large format slr around the house. Don't remember if it is 4x5 or 5x7. Have to look it up.
thanks
barondla