Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2015, 05:22 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
It's unfortunate that at the time we didn't realize how remarkable it was to have absolutely NO auto focus complaints about those old cameras.

It should be easy to "embed" a Q inside one of those 5x7 bodies so as to shoot out the lens mounting hole -- just have to finagle a way to trip the shutter without an electric remote cable. I'm still tryin' to fabricate a fiber-optic cable to effectively use an IR remote.

Would be a hoot to set up a curbside shoot and remote the images to a laptop or tablet for viewing via Flucard or Eye-fi card. And, yes, using a DIY OVF too.

09-20-2015, 06:05 PM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here is the Viewfinder card I made for the Graflex when the Takumar 55mm wide angle is on.
Eye position is not critical. it can't be wrong if i just look along the triangles to see the edges of the image
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-PL1  Photo 
09-20-2015, 06:29 PM   #48
Site Supporter

This is the custom built eyepiece to suit the most fastidious of PF.

If you have an old dead zoom, tear it apart till you find a duplex front element which is coated and has a about +0.5 diopter, with huge barrel distortion.

I machined an aluminum billet to fit the element then machined the rear eyepiece from acetal with a bore to suit the Takumar 6x7 90mm

After the bore was adjusted progressively, the barrel distortion hits the bore at about the edges of the 6x7 frame.
Also the distortion gives a strong indication of the dead center of the frame.

The coating adds a touch of luxurious green cast.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-PL1  Photo 
09-20-2015, 07:15 PM   #49
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dh4412 Quote
that small graflex is very cool , is the viewfinder relatively ok to look through ?
yes, the viewfinder is OK to look thru. Kind of like a straight pipe with glass at each end. In the front there is a slot for different masks to fit in to match different lenses.
thanks
barondla

---------- Post added 09-20-2015 at 09:17 PM ----------

Beautiful eyepiece viewer Wombat2go. The quality work you did on it is spectacular.
thanks for sharing
barondla

09-20-2015, 08:15 PM   #50
Site Supporter

Here is my simple fix for fast arms-length shooting. Bicycle spoke sight.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 
09-20-2015, 08:25 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Bicycle spoke sight.
Well done. Again demonstrating that much can be done with nothing more than a good feel for the projected FoV and a center-axis pointer.
09-20-2015, 08:49 PM   #52

Photos: Albums
I guess I'm just having a hard time being sold on the idea of an external viewfinder with an interchangeable lens system. Maybe because I don't have the 01 prime yet so I don't really have the usable situation with the standard zoom.... but it just seems nuts. I think that a hood on the LCD makes more sense, but otherwise relying on the display as the actual view. Maybe I'm just spoiled by SLR configurations that let you see out the lens through a viewfinder.

I know I'm beating a dead horse when I say this, but I really wish there was an EFV for the hotshoe... I am not very optimistic that the electronic design of the hotshoe can accommodate one though, even with a firmware update. It would have needed to have been included into the basic design from the beginning in order to allow the addition of one (I believe).

So the Q remains not a very "serious" camera. Still... I find myself looking for reasons to use my Q7 rather than my K-30. Why is that? Hmmm....

But this rigged viewfinder stuff... and even legit viewfinders... I just don't see the point of it. If you're going to that trouble, you should be reaching for your DSLR... and as much as I have a fondness for this Q7, I do indeed hope Q owners also own legit DSLR bodies. For this very reason shown in this thread.
09-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Suleeto Quote
. . . spoiled by SLR configurations that let you see out the lens through a viewfinder. . .you should be reaching for your DSLR...
No argument there; and the Q's don't 'replace' my OVF-equipped DSLRs. I suspect that those of us that do find these makeshift 'external view assist devices' useful do so only because they are the best of a poor choice of functional solutions rather than because they are preferred framing options.

To add EVF/OVF accessories to the Q bodies would seriously compromise the utility of the Q system by adding enough size that other body options would make more sense IMO. Using the Q's only makes sense to me when the packaged size of the Q system takes precedence over the advantages of a larger system and I can accommodate the lack, or inconvenience, of certain preferred features.

When I choose the Q's over the K's I accept that I MAY be limited to an imprecise 'VF' which cues me to a bore-sight lens axis rather than a precise framing view when for some practical reason I don't use the LCD screen. Occasionally refreshing my memory of the FoV of the lens at various FLs via the LCD screen makes an external 'bore-sight' device functional under those circumstances just as a 20x optical scope wouldn't serve well on a shotgun at the skeet range.

09-21-2015, 06:11 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
It should be easy to "embed" a Q inside one of those 5x7 bodies.....
What a hoot !
The woodworker in me is interested
The old Q would rattle around in something like this
09-21-2015, 06:53 PM   #55

look at those fine dovetails, wow. and the scribe mark to guide the depth of each one ..... and the spline joints on the base....
09-22-2015, 02:35 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Looks nice alright,no pleb with sandpaper attacked the scribe lines
Last dovetail I made was 25 years ago on my bee boxs...
Happily splined ever since tho
Would be fun to make something for the Q or the K-01.
Just have wood or brass button/pushrods aimed at each control switch,
hairy big turned bits even and beat it up with nails in a sock mmm patina

trotts off to seach non ferrous plumbing collection

Last edited by Transit; 09-22-2015 at 02:55 PM.