Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2015, 10:43 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Zone focusing seems tough in this format.
Yeah, but I found it a lot harder to succeed by 'rack/track focus' than 'pre-trap focus' with the bellows knob controls. An' I never had a relatively long FL lens available then. Even if I could have afforded it they were way too slow then to do ME any good.

(Relatively long FL lens are 'modern' inventions for many economical, technical and practical reasons. It amazes me (but shouldn't) how many critical comments about older gear and procedures have no basis in an understanding of the practical capabilities of the equipment and film available at the time. Jeez, pushin' Tri-X to ASA 1200 was a very neat trick then - an' it (mostly) looked like crap anyway.)

(An' that's NOT a shot at 'barodla'; he's been there -- just a general, all-purpose, comment.)

Last edited by pacerr; 09-05-2015 at 10:54 PM.
09-06-2015, 05:27 AM   #32
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pacerr, this talk about 4x5 has brought back some memories but, those geing being more than 40 years old, they are a bit vague. I used 4x5 and an 8x10 view camera in school. One, the 4x5 I think, was a Graflex, but it seems like the other was something else.
As I remember it, the film was coded with a series of notches on one corner. If you held the film with the notches in the upper right corner, the emulsion side of the film was up. (That's how you knew which way to load it in the magazine.) The number, (and pattern?) of the notches indicated the type of film (Tri-X, Plus-X, etc.)
Does that sound right, or are my "senior moments" becoming more frequent and more protracted? )
09-08-2015, 12:52 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Pacerr, this talk about 4x5 has brought back some memories but, those geing being more than 40 years old, they are a bit vague. I used 4x5 and an 8x10 view camera in school. One, the 4x5 I think, was a Graflex, but it seems like the other was something else.
As I remember it, the film was coded with a series of notches on one corner. If you held the film with the notches in the upper right corner, the emulsion side of the film was up. (That's how you knew which way to load it in the magazine.) The number, (and pattern?) of the notches indicated the type of film (Tri-X, Plus-X, etc.)
Does that sound right, or are my "senior moments" becoming more frequent and more protracted? )
That's how I recall it but my memory has to reach back 60 years and it might be at times a bit foggy.
09-08-2015, 01:32 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
A quick check with wiki to refresh my memory.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notch_code

For some strange, and certainly unnecessary, reason I had the habit of always attaching the clips to the notched corner/side during development processes too.

I'm quite content with not having to do that today.

09-08-2015, 01:52 PM   #35
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
and it might be at times a bit foggy
I know the feeling.
09-08-2015, 02:25 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
And just to throw another stick on the fire here's another freeby used with the Q7 + 06 lens for the 16:9 format.

At the risk of giving someone a heart attack -- notice the device is off-set half the width of the flash shoe to clear functional controls. That's not critical at sports action shooting distances if the center dot is reasonable matched to the center of the LCD presentation.

The left flash shoe rail in peripheral vision helps to maintain alignment and I've found that my normal 'hold' has my right thumb barely touching the tip of the nose as a consistent position check.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 

Last edited by pacerr; 09-08-2015 at 03:08 PM.
09-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #37
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Aren't the 15 and 45 transposed?

Oh well. Doesn't matter. It can't possibly work.

Last edited by Parallax; 09-08-2015 at 02:48 PM.
09-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #38

i think my nose naturally hits the ' ND off ' pacerr, do you leave that screen up as a nose target ? i probably should be aiming more towards that ' custom image ' target if i used this new type finder ?
09-08-2015, 03:10 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Aren't the 15 and 45 transposed?
Huh? Say wha'? Sometimes happens when you mess with the impossible, but . . .

OK, OK, so I swapped the image out in edit.

Oh, an' DH? Nuthun's worse than a 'nosy' photographer.
09-09-2015, 12:28 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hold the camera (frame) at arms length. Test it by picking an object dead centre, then turning on the camera to see how well it worked. What I like about arms length is that it allows fast shooting plus allows you to see the full picture as you follow the action. The rear "sight" is your eye.
09-09-2015, 12:39 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've heard there's a 'Twelve-step Program" to help us 'sloppy shooters' get back in touch with our rear apertures. No need to be embarrassed -- if you need help, just admit it an' ask for it.
09-09-2015, 01:10 PM   #42
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
get back in touch with our rear apertures.
Do you have any idea the stress I'm under trying not to respond to that?
09-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now, now, I suspect you're thinkin' of an orifice, not an aperture. There's a difference ya know.

But if'n ya need to look through it . . . there's a medical procedure called a plexotomy that might help. That's where they replace your belly button with a 1/2-inch Plexiglas plug so you can see out when you've got your . . . well, whenever ya need to.
09-20-2015, 04:08 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As promised the Graflex 5x7 SLR! To keep this slightly on thread our favorite Q is in the picture along with the "small" 4x5 Graflex. You can stack two 4x5 on top of each other and the 5x7 is bigger with focusing hood up. Wonder if any other slr has allowed folding the viewinder into the camera for compactness? I need to shoot this 5x7 some day.
thanks
barondla

It doesn't even have aviewfinder frame !
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
09-20-2015, 05:03 PM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
"small" 4x5 Graflex
that small graflex is very cool , is the viewfinder relatively ok to look through ?