Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2015, 03:31 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Perspective distortion with lenses on Q7

I have some questions regarding lenses in general on the Q7...

I understand that the small sensor size reduces the field of view, a result of the 4.7x crop factor. But - is the perspective distortion (in terms of extension / compression) the same when I use a lens on my Q7 versus my K3? And whether yes or no,why?

I assume the answer is yes because the optics are the optics, and once situated at the accurate distance from the sensor by the K to Q adapter, they will perform in just the same way. So, for portraits, I would still use a short tele for compression, but would have to back up somewhat to capture the subject within the field of view - yes?

Which leads me to another question...

Does a 25mm C-mount lens exhibit roughly the same perspective distortion characteristics as a 28mm K-mount lens on the Q7?

I'm trying to understand this so I can judge the usefulness of certain focal length lenses in relation the subject matter I want to shoot.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-12-2015 at 03:43 AM.
09-12-2015, 06:00 AM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I have some questions regarding lenses in general on the Q7...

I understand that the small sensor size reduces the field of view, a result of the 4.7x crop factor. But - is the perspective distortion (in terms of extension / compression) the same when I use a lens on my Q7 versus my K3? And whether yes or no,why?
Perspective distortion and "compression" only depend on field of view, they have nothing to do with focal length. So, if you use the exact same lens one time on Q7 and one time on K3, perspective distortion will be different. Due to different crop factors the field of view is different - you have to counter this by "zooming with your feet" and presto - your image looks more compressed on the Q7 than on the K3. That is, if you use the exact same lens on both.

I assume the answer is yes because the optics are the optics, and once situated at the accurate distance from the sensor by the K to Q adapter, they will perform in just the same way. So, for portraits, I would still use a short tele for compression, but would have to back up somewhat to capture the subject within the field of view - yes?

Which leads me to another question...

Does a 25mm C-mount lens exhibit roughly the same perspective distortion characteristics as a 28mm K-mount lens on the Q7?
If you adapt both to the Q7, then yes.
09-12-2015, 06:39 AM   #3

25mm x 4.7 = 117.5mm in full frame equivalent
28mm x 4.7 = 131.6mm ""

c-mount is mainly used for cctv for sensors from 1/2 inch to 1 inch (16mm diagonal)
because they are used for surveillance light transmission is more important than overall resolving power (its why they have really wide apertures)

on the Q7 expect softer edges and lower overall sharpness but plenty of bokeh when using a $25 c-mount lens
09-12-2015, 06:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Compression being a function of the lens is actually an illusion -- the effect is entirely caused by distance to subject and the lens or camera don't matter at all as they do not "create" it. (Farther away=more "compression") In other words, if you shoot something with a long lens, and the same thing from the same distance with a wider lens, and then crop & magnify the wide shot to show the view of the long shot, they will look identical in terms of compression. So the effect is entirely determined by how far away from your subject you are standing.

09-12-2015, 07:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Compression being a function of the lens is actually an illusion -- the effect is entirely caused by distance to subject and the lens or camera don't matter at all as they do not "create" it. (Farther away=more "compression") In other words, if you shoot something with a long lens, and the same thing from the same distance with a wider lens, and then crop & magnify the wide shot to show the view of the long shot, they will look identical in terms of compression. So the effect is entirely determined by how far away from your subject you are standing.
Agree, 100%. In fact I did this a few years ago because I was skeptical. I cropped a wide angle to the same FOV as a long lens and confirmed; perspective is solely determined by subject distance.
09-12-2015, 09:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Understanding Depth of Field in Photography
09-16-2015, 01:48 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Fascinating. I'll have to try that when I get back to the UK (and my gear!). It sounds wrong, but I take your word on it

So... If I use an adapted K mount lens on my Q7 and frame the shot for the same field of view I'd see with that same lens on my K3 (meaning I'd have to stand much farther from the subject), I'd see a greater compression of perspective, as the distance from lens to subject is greater. Have I understood that correctly?
09-16-2015, 07:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fascinating. I'll have to try that when I get back to the UK (and my gear!). It sounds wrong, but I take your word on it

So... If I use an adapted K mount lens on my Q7 and frame the shot for the same field of view I'd see with that same lens on my K3 (meaning I'd have to stand much farther from the subject), I'd see a greater compression of perspective, as the distance from lens to subject is greater. Have I understood that correctly?
Yes, if I use on my Q7 the 50mm lens that was kitted with the Super Program I bought in 1984, the resulting image will look the same as one I would have taken with that Super Program using a 235mm lens.

09-16-2015, 04:41 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yes, if I use on my Q7 the 50mm lens that was kitted with the Super Program I bought in 1984, the resulting image will look the same as one I would have taken with that Super Program using a 235mm lens.
You would also need to equalize apertures for that, to equalize DOF; e.g. f2.8 on the Q7 would need f13 on the Super Program.
09-21-2015, 07:48 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
if I use on my Q7 the 50mm lens that was kitted with the Super Program
would make a great combo to shoot kite surfers with