Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2015, 12:39 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Help me identify this Yashica lens... can I adapt it?

Ok so I obtained this lens... it's off a Yashica 8 Upmatic camera:

Here's the lens:

So judging by what it says on the lens, it has a 1.8 aperature... buuuut it's for 8mm film based on what info I found on the internet. It has MF of course, buuuuuut.... it has ZOOM? That's right -- it's a 9-28mm zoom capable lens (on whatever crop factor 8mm is). So then I take it that 1.8 aperture changes when you go from 9mm towards 28mm. But ANYWAYS...

HERE is the mount end:

SO... what mount is this? C? D? I had thought that C and D lenses had threaded parts but I don't see it... no wait, I see it. Not on the part with the brass gear teeth, but that outer ring has threads on the INNER diameter surface. So what mount is this? Can I adapt this lens to the Q?

Oh, and it turns out that the brass gear toothed ring screws out, so there is threading on the inside of that diameter, too. I am even open to the idea of buying a cheapo C or D adaptor and modifying it to make this work, unless this in fact a C or D.

Also.. it has a slightly bent filter ring. Is there any way to straighten that?

I posted this in the Q section because, well, 8mm lenses and the Q are often times natural buddies.

09-20-2015, 01:27 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I purchased a lens repair kit on e-bay from India, years ago, it has this tool incl:
Dslrkit PRO Lens Vise Tool Repair Filter Ring Ajustment Steel 27mm TO 130mm | eBay
it does not look like C or D
09-20-2015, 03:17 AM   #3

Original Poster
It doesn't?

Are there measurements for C and D? Maybe it can be finessed into a C or D adapter.
09-20-2015, 05:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It looks like the mount was proprietary, the 8 Up was a fully automatic camera and zoom was controlled by two buttons on the camera.

09-20-2015, 04:11 PM   #5

Original Poster
Still... what is the OD on a C mount and D mount? I would love to see if I can still mount this thing somehow.
09-20-2015, 08:39 PM   #6
kwb
Site Supporter

C mount has male 1-32 thread (i.e. OD 1 inch, 32 threads per inch). For D, it's 5/8-32.
Real question is the flange back distance of your lens, though.
09-20-2015, 09:03 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
C mount has male 1-32 thread (i.e. OD 1 inch, 32 threads per inch). For D, it's 5/8-32.
Real question is the flange back distance of your lens, though.
Yes I considered that too... Eventually I will be ordering a C and D adapter, and when I get one I will compare them. It may be possible to use one of those and modify it to hold this lens... with some shimming. I used my naked eye to look through it and it is pretty well in focus for a good deal of distance behind the final lens element on the mount end, so all it really seems to be doing is magnifying and very little focus. I think -- no, I *know* -- it can be adapted because I have browsed around in some of the stranger lens club forum sections here where they rig up some really bizzare lenses that really shouldn't work... but do!

I mean come on, wouldn't you guys like to see me figure out how to get this lens on the Q7?

Speaking of which, since I haven't done an adapter yet, I was wondering how to set it up for that but I will ask in another thread.
09-20-2015, 10:54 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

C mount

D mount with the Q

11-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #9

c-mount 1"-32tpi
d-mount .625"-32tpi

think above is right

sankyo 8-cm 10$ on ebay

...i fell for the same thing.. sankyo 8-cm is a 8mm camera that actually uses d-mount to attach the front "zoom" part of the lens to the camera. sadly if u look inside the camera there is another lens group. this is the back part of the lens that is needed to allow the cam to focus.

both are removable unscrew yes...the hard part is u will need a digital caliper with the depth gauge part. remove both lens groups. reattach the mount for the visible(outside) one. u measure the distance from the mount for the visible one to the top of the mount for the internal lens group. write it down measure 10 times. then remove the mount for the visible one and measure the distance from the top of the flange for internal lens group to the film plane. these are the important numbers here.

next u would have to fabricate an attachment that would facilitate the screwing in of the internal lens group and the external one. the best way i could come up with this is a metal block that u could screw into a 8mm d-mount adapter for pentax q. maybe retap the d-mount adapter for 1-32tpi if the internal lens group is big.

in alot of cases the internal lens group is actually a doublet or triplet prime. u actually can use it alone as a lens =O i actually created a rudimentary mount for the internal group and took pictures. anyways focus the internal group first then the zoom part.

Last edited by xerxal; 11-09-2015 at 08:49 PM.
11-17-2015, 10:06 AM   #10

Original Poster
In other words, I have a cute little paperweight LOL. Actually now it's a decoration in a glass case with other very very old camera items.