Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2015, 04:58 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Vacationing with the Q

This year was the first time I brought my Q, bought this spring, during the summer vacation. Although I had the camera for a few months, I wasn't sure what to expect from it and, anyway, also brought my DSLR. Long story short, the Q passed the test with flying colors. About 75% of the shots have been taken with the Q. And many of the shots I've taken with the K-500 could just as well as been shot with the Q. The only thing I was missing was a wider angle than the 01. The 03 could sometime be useful, but not always. So, I will probably try to get a 02 for the next time to cover the wide angle. The 08 would certainly be fine, but the cost makes me think twice -if not more- about it... The IQ was more than good enough and way higher than the usual P&S.

So, here's a few shots from what is, IMHO, a very good travel kit:

09-21-2015, 05:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Great shots! I think you do well with any camera!
09-21-2015, 09:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great shots, indeed! The Q is a very powerful little camera. Many people don't like the 02 because of the "kit lens stigma". It's actually a nice versatile lens. Shoot it wide open to avoid the effects of diffraction. I got my 08 from a Japanese seller on Amazon. The price is comparable to a similar UWA zoom for APS, I get some Amazon's buyer protection, and I got a few extra credit card points too. The 08 is very nice for UWA shots if you're ok with the usual rectilinear distortion that comes with these kinds of lenses.
09-22-2015, 02:11 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I've done several vacations with my Q including some big ones, without my DSLR, a couple of times I missed it but 90% of the time the Q was fine. Even when it wasn't fine, it was still OK.

09-22-2015, 01:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I normally take only small cameras Q7 and S100) on vacations, unless it's a road trip then the DSLR comes along. Spent 3 weeks in Europe with the Q7 and it was great
09-22-2015, 04:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Happy to read your feedback about the Q as a travel camera. It's beyond me why Pentax didn't use this as marketing argument...

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Great shots, indeed! The Q is a very powerful little camera. Many people don't like the 02 because of the "kit lens stigma". It's actually a nice versatile lens. Shoot it wide open to avoid the effects of diffraction. I got my 08 from a Japanese seller on Amazon. The price is comparable to a similar UWA zoom for APS, I get some Amazon's buyer protection, and I got a few extra credit card points too. The 08 is very nice for UWA shots if you're ok with the usual rectilinear distortion that comes with these kinds of lenses.
I bought my 06 from a Japanese seller and was quite satisfied. However, something that doesn't help me is that the canadian dollar exchange rate is pretty bad right now. The 08, which wasn't a cheap lens to begin with, cost us about 25%-30% more than it was about a year ago... I'll wait a few months to see how the CAN$ goes and then decide if I get the 08 or get the much cheaper 02...
09-22-2015, 06:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Very nice images, all of them. Like Hans , on road trips I do take the whole shebang but on other travels the Q7 with a handful of lenses does a remarkable good job.
09-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is that the Crystal Beach lighthouse on Lake Erie?

I grew up in the next town over, and sailed in that bay...

09-24-2015, 04:20 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Very nice images, all of them. Like Hans , on road trips I do take the whole shebang but on other travels the Q7 with a handful of lenses does a remarkable good job.
Thanks Heinrich!

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Is that the Crystal Beach lighthouse on Lake Erie?

I grew up in the next town over, and sailed in that bay...
Exactly! For our vacation, we rented a cottage on Pt. Abino road, about 5 minutes from Crystal Beach.
09-28-2015, 09:47 AM   #10
Site Supporter

CarlJF, nice travel photography. Now I want to visit the lighthouse. You are doing quite well with the Q.
Thanks for sharing
barondla