Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2015, 07:23 AM   #1

Aperture Washer for Auto 110 Lenses

A number of threads mention using a washer as an aperture iris for Pentax Auto 110 lenses (which are fixed at f/2.8 on the Auto 110 camera). Could someone provide more detail about how to do this, or where to buy disks (which, I presume, go in the 110 to Q adapter). Also, while I'm on the topic, I do notice (as have others) that the wide Auto 110 lenses do not focus well at infinity unless stopped down with the washers (or other devices). This is surprising in that there should be focus at infinity if the adapter is well constructed even if there isn't much depth of field. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

10-04-2015, 11:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The easy solution is to but a set of Lensbaby aperture discs:

http://www.amazon.com/Lensbaby-LB3AS-Replacement-Aperture-Set/dp/B000RGDBU8/

Or, make your own out of whatever...
10-04-2015, 02:03 PM   #3
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Professor Batty Quote
All the 110 adapters I own have needed to be shimmed slightly to achieve proper infinity focus
Do you mean they focus beyond infinity rather than not quite reaching infinity?
10-05-2015, 09:00 AM   #4

Original Poster
You don't need lensbaby discs. You don't have to make anything. Go to a good hardware store (or Home Depot or Lowes) and go to where they have miscellany washers (usually in a box with various sizes.) Get a 1 and 1/4" flat rubber washer with a 3/16" hole in the center, it is a standard size, it costs about a dollar. Push it in the back of your PTX110-P/Q adapter until the hole is directly behind the 110 mount. You may have to wiggle it a little to get the hole centered but it will fit and stay put. It will be cupped toward the 110 lens (cupped away from the Q body.) It will give you about an f4.5 stop for all Pentax 110 lenses (which is pretty close to optimal for sharpness and depth of field) and it also minimize any flare issues from the shiny metal parts in the adapter. It greatly improves the IQ of these lenses, although it will reduce the 'glow' of some of them, particularly the 18mm which has a very nice softening effect when used wide open—very flattering for portraits.

That's all there is to it!

(this offer not good in metric countries, but they probably have something similar.)

All the 110 adapters I own have needed to be shimmed slightly to achieve proper infinity focus. Remove the 110 lens mount on the adapter being careful not to lose the screws or the release button. Put a layer of tape over where the mount was seated and trim away the extra tape from the edge of the mount as well as any tape covering the hole or where the latching mechanism goes. It's easier than it sounds. I used thin box sealing tape.
Thanks so much. This is exactly what I'll do.

10-05-2015, 09:01 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote

Amazon.com : Lensbaby LB3AS 3G Replacement Aperture Set : Lensbaby Aperture Disk : Camera & Photo

Thanks so much.
10-07-2015, 03:08 PM   #6

Original Poster

http://www.amazon.com/Lensbaby-LB3AS-Replacement-Aperture-Set/dp/B000RGDBU8/

By the way, is it just a coincidence that the lens baby discs fit in the Q converter?
10-07-2015, 03:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lobalobo Quote
By the way, is it just a coincidence that the lens baby discs fit in the Q converter?
Yes. In my case, I also had a lensbaby so could use them anyway, and it is nice to have the different sizes sometimes...

10-11-2015, 06:35 PM   #8

Original Poster
Yes. In my case, I also had a lensbaby so could use them anyway, and it is nice to have the different sizes sometimes...
Thanks.
10-11-2015, 07:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also use the LB discs with the Q>110 adapter. They work well and give you more than 1 aperture choice. Sometimes I stop down 1 stop. Other times 2 stops.
thanks
barondla
11-07-2015, 10:20 AM   #10

Original Poster
Back when this thread was still current, PB recommended this to me as instructions on how to adapt Auto 110 Lenses:

QuoteQuote:
Get a 1 and 1/4" flat rubber washer with a 3/16" hole in the center.
This, I did, but the washers are much larger than the adapter. I could try cutting them down, but fear this will not be precise enough. Am I missing something?
11-07-2015, 11:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Back when this thread was still current, PB recommended this to me as instructions on how to adapt Auto 110 Lenses:

This, I did, but the washers are much larger than the adapter. I could try cutting them down, but fear this will not be precise enough. Am I missing something?
Yes, don't waste your time with the washers. Buy the Lensbaby disks and be done with it. I believe when I purchased my set they cost about $10 from an Ebay seller and they come in a nice small case. They are precise disks that come in a number of different apertures. They are made of thin plastic so they will not do damage to your adapter or lens and personally they are a lot less trouble. I had a set which I sold with the 110 lenses when they left here.
11-07-2015, 01:13 PM   #12
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder if your 110 adapter had a different internal dimension.
This is my approach to stopping down;
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested...thread-45.html
People don't seem to know what I mean by ring binder reinforcing rings, maybe they are called something else over your way.
They are the little plastic rings used to reinforce paper punch holes in stationary.
11-24-2015, 08:04 PM   #13

Original Poster
No, just shove it in from the rear, it will bulge toward the lens opening, wiggle it until it is centered.

Here is a post with pictures: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested...ml#post2847581
Belated thank you. I'll try it.