Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2015, 12:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Suleeto Quote
Firmware installed. No change.

---------- Post added 10-15-15 at 01:34 AM ----------

Got it to work. Fiddled with settings... after firmware update. Very faint white outlines, yes. But it's there now and wasn't before. Thanks!
Focus peaking on Pentax cameras is a little weak compared to other makes but it does work as designed. You ought to see some sort of outline or sparkle around what is in focus. Imagine having some sort of selective contrast algorithm that enhances the in-focus objects. I think saturation is also turned down a bit too to make the sparkles more B&W. The effect is more dramatic in a Sony where you can often times change the focus peaking color to yellow or something.

Try setting your camera on a tripod and angle it at 45 degrees toward the ground. Turn the focus ring back and forth slowly. Get the floor in focus. Now turn the focus ring back and forth slightly and you ought to see a band of in-focus image move up and down the screen. The effect is strong on carpets than hardwood floor due to all the details in the carpet hairs.

Your DoF may be very shallow so it's easy to slip in and out of focus. A 50mm lens is like 230mm in FF speak.

10-23-2015, 12:51 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well, 235mm on a Q7 (bigger sensor) but yes I get your point.

I tried that carpet test and it didn't work :/ I will give it a shot (pun intended) tomorrow outside in the daylight.
11-04-2015, 02:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I also would love a better focus peaking..
option to change color.

or marking the peaking areas with zebra-stripes or checkers and therefore the highlights with dots or so instead ... would be much better.

Canons magic lantern is also a bit confusing here, because to me it seems very unlogical to use blinking dots to show in-focus or "high-contrast" areas...
They use the zebra-stripes for showing highlights..

Sony is very innovative here, it seems to inherit an algorithm in LV that finds the very contrasty "edges" and only marks those edges/lines yellow AFAIR.

Could be an additional feature to the next Q with EVF...
11-09-2015, 06:59 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
I also would love a better focus peaking..
option to change color.

or marking the peaking areas with zebra-stripes or checkers and therefore the highlights with dots or so instead ... would be much better.

Canons magic lantern is also a bit confusing here, because to me it seems very unlogical to use blinking dots to show in-focus or "high-contrast" areas...
They use the zebra-stripes for showing highlights..

Sony is very innovative here, it seems to inherit an algorithm in LV that finds the very contrasty "edges" and only marks those edges/lines yellow AFAIR.

Could be an additional feature to the next Q with EVF...
I agree. Sometimes I forget I have focus peaking on, and I wonder why the image in the LCD looks "weird". Perhaps being able to choose another color would help. Perhaps having a higher quality LCD would help. However, to be honest, this is not one of my top 3 "issues" with my Q-7 (although it might be one of the cheapest to fix).