Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2016, 11:52 AM   #196
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eyeswideshut Quote
Pentax needs to make a long zoom and a macro lens to at least take full advantage of the small sensor / interchangeable lens combination.
Just a thought.
The ILC, to a great extent is old tech before decent zooms could be made.
It has always seemed like a contradiction to me to carry around a camera the size of a pack of cigs that requires a pocketful of glass.
Why not a decent integrated zoom on a weather tight body that folds flat with a built in lens cap?

02-09-2016, 12:38 PM   #197
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I always found the sensor to small. Maybe a new generation sensor could make it better. For now I didn't see a new sensor in 1/1.7" form, so no new Q-S1 is needed, since nothing new to offer. No idea if sales in Japan are still on a level like 2014.
02-09-2016, 01:32 PM   #198
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Why not a decent integrated zoom on a weather tight body that folds flat with a built in lens cap?
1. Because bodies age a lot faster than lenses, and it's a waste to scrap a good lens because it's on a defunct body.

2. Because however good the weather sealing, sooner or later, dust gets on the sensor.
02-09-2016, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #199
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I always found the sensor to small. Maybe a new generation sensor could make it better. For now I didn't see a new sensor in 1/1.7" form, so no new Q-S1 is needed, since nothing new to offer. No idea if sales in Japan are still on a level like 2014.
Interestingly, I recently picked up a Panasonic GM1 with one of the better Micro Four-Thirds sensors. In my still limited experience comparing the GM1 to the Q7, the only place where the Q7 lags is in low light but it has SR to help out there while the GM1 does not. This is corroborated by the DxO scores when you look at the individual scores not the composite score.

02-09-2016, 01:41 PM   #200
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eyeswideshut Quote
What gets me though is that Pentax is so incredibly slow and reticent to flesh out this system.

Is that the point where the Q is at? Well, I would not want to bet any money on that but my best wishes for continued success.
Recently, the relatively small resources that Pentax have available
have been fully preoccupied with preparing a successful 24x36mm DSLR system,
and I don't think that's a bad thing to try.

Much as I like my 08 zoom, I'd love to use my ZK 18/3.5 as a true extreme wide angle!

But I also hope that Pentax will revisit the Q system once the FF digital is up and running.
02-09-2016, 02:56 PM   #201
Pentaxian

Just a thought.
The ILC, to a great extent is old tech before decent zooms could be made.
It has always seemed like a contradiction to me to carry around a camera the size of a pack of cigs that requires a pocketful of glass.
You, yourself, have provided the answer to that question. The strength of an ILC is its flexibility. Yes, you can attach a 560mm scope to it and to create a serious wildlife camera, but I can put a 01 lens on the very same body and carry it around in my pocket all day. I did look at a Canon SX50 before I bought my Pentax Q7. The SX50 is a solid wildlife camera, but if I had purchased it, I still would not have had a camera I could carry around with me. Since I bought my Q7, I have taken as many pictures with it as I have with my APS-C camera, and over half of those have been in its role as my pocket-able camera. Yes, using it as the base for an SX50 or P900 competitor would be an interesting exercise, but if they're going to develop that lens anyway, I strongly believe they should put the effort into a Q-mount lens, instead of into an integrated lens, thereby extending its value as a wildlife camera while maintaining its value in other areas as well.
02-10-2016, 11:46 AM   #202
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bluefoam Quote
Imo... regarding westerners not buying into the fun element and buy big spec cameras... it seems that canikon have bullied them into that position through aggressive marketing... most people I know with DSLR cameras can't take a decent photo to save their lives... they are beginning to realise this and are abandoning cameras altogether for phones...
Truer words were never spoken!! I agree with this assessment 100%.

By the way, I asked a friend of mine who is a Japanese translator to view those videos posted and she said they are specifically targeting the Japanese market and the stress of the presentation is on the size of the components. She said the Japanese people place more value on small size, efficient items than large items that might produce a bit more. Multi purpose items are also preferred over singular purpose items. But then the average living space afforded to each person in Japan is significantly less that what most Americans have. She lived there for over 20 years as an interpreter.

---------- Post added 02-10-16 at 11:53 AM ----------

One major reason I can think of that keeps me and others away from such cameras. Several years ago I got a panic call from a friend of mine who was on a ship leaving port in California. He had taken a few photo's of the departure and the collapsible lens on his $400 pocket camera had locked up and the camera would not work. I suggested he install fresh batteries then carefully try and get the lens to move. When he got back he said he tried everything but nothing worked and he did not have a camera available for his entire trip. I have heard similar stories hence if it does not have interchangeable lenses, I do not even consider it.

02-10-2016, 02:52 PM   #203
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote

---------- Post added 02-10-16 at 11:53 AM ----------

One major reason I can think of that keeps me and others away from such cameras. Several years ago I got a panic call from a friend of mine who was on a ship leaving port in California. He had taken a few photo's of the departure and the collapsible lens on his $400 pocket camera had locked up and the camera would not work. I suggested he install fresh batteries then carefully try and get the lens to move. When he got back he said he tried everything but nothing worked and he did not have a camera available for his entire trip. I have heard similar stories hence if it does not have interchangeable lenses, I do not even consider it.
I will add another story for you.

My wife has had two P/S cameras (both Ricoh Caplios) where the lens extension mechanism failed rendering them useless (and not worth repairing). Fortunately a backup camera was available in both cases. To balance that out, I had a Panasonic superzoom for many years that gave no trouble at all but that did not have an extending lens mechanism, all zooming/focus was internal.
02-11-2016, 07:37 AM   #204
Veteran Member

??? you can also buy shi11y panasonic or nikon cams... nearly every producers has/had a low-cost consumer line... i highly doubt your wife had a cx6 or a GR ? And anyway what do those stories from the beginning age of digital photography have to do with "Signs of a new Pentax Q" soon?

The Q is a very good and worthy camera... especially the Q-S1...

If you guys want a superzoom (RICOH WG-SZ1) then open a new thread...

---------- Post added 02-11-16 at 07:41 AM ----------

BTW i think the Q still sells pretty good and most of what is produced find its way to the consumer...
You can even find the Q-S1 at Harrod's London....
(just because some people in this thread mentioned they would not know where to buy.
and honestly, buying on the web mostly is a bit cheaper...)
02-11-2016, 01:51 PM   #205
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
??? you can also buy shi11y panasonic or nikon cams... nearly every producers has/had a low-cost consumer line... i highly doubt your wife had a cx6 or a GR ? And anyway what do those stories from the beginning age of digital photography have to do with "Signs of a new Pentax Q" soon?

The Q is a very good and worthy camera... especially the Q-S1...

If you guys want a superzoom (RICOH WG-SZ1) then open a new thread...

---------- Post added 02-11-16 at 07:41 AM ----------

BTW i think the Q still sells pretty good and most of what is produced find its way to the consumer...
You can even find the Q-S1 at Harrod's London....
(just because some people in this thread mentioned they would not know where to buy.
and honestly, buying on the web mostly is a bit cheaper...)
You do realize that the beginning age of digital photography wasn't that long ago, don't you?

Apart from that, since you didn't reply to any particular post, I don't understand what you meant.
02-11-2016, 02:59 PM   #206
Veteran Member

sry, i dont understand ... this was about some guy comparing an old ricoh caplio ... to (i guess) some newer panasonic with in body zoom... and like I said, no clue what all this hat got to do with "Signs of New Pentax Q Soon?"

Who said that it was LOOONG ago? Actually that was where i wanted to point out at. That it is NOT that long ago that digital photography has started out to become interesting and effordable for the ordinary mortals. So blaming some of the first affordable consumer digitals(or be it a pro-device - i dun care -) for failing after a certain amount of time(no facts here?) does lead no where, and no sane person would make a conclusion to actual technology and that such things like a retractable weather-resistant zoom would not be possible. They are possible... looking at fuji S1 i think for myself at least the next PENTAX or RiCOH bridge cam should be WR... :P
...whooops cought my self loosing the point.... no all this has got nothing to do with the next generation of PENTAX Q ... a new Tele that is still on the lens-roadmap has...
02-12-2016, 04:55 AM   #207
Veteran Member

it would be really thrilling to see a Q version of the Tres Amigos (or the DA trinity). Hopefully those designs can be "scaled down"?
02-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #208

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
it would be really thrilling to see a Q version of the Tres Amigos (or the DA trinity). Hopefully those designs can be "scaled down"?
I too would welcome some tiny primes.
02-15-2016, 09:17 PM   #209
Pentaxian

I would also love to see some more primes in the Q line up but I'm not certain that we will see many. The Q is really aimed at the young crowd, a group that is very comfortable with zooms and may not be happy with carrying around a bag of prime lenses, no matter how small.

Besides, I have found that the Q zooms are very capable lenses.
02-16-2016, 03:48 AM   #210
Veteran Member

Is a wide prime on its way???

New Ricoh patent for a Pentax Q 4.2mm f/1.8 lens | Pentax Rumors