Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2016, 04:27 AM   #211

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
100% possibly

02-25-2016, 11:19 AM   #212
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh please Pentax. Quit wasting your limited resources on this silly full frame nonsense and get back to work on the Q.

I would love to have this new Q wide angle prime.
02-25-2016, 12:33 PM   #213
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Oh please Pentax. Quit wasting your limited resources on this silly full frame nonsense and get back to work on the Q.

I would love to have this new Q wide angle prime.
agreed. RICOH, you absolutely lost it with your totally crampy 36MP nonsense... whilst Canons "TOP of the RANGE" 1DX2 will feature 16 still fps in
full resolution(around 20.2MP) and 120fps FULLHD video,

our first step into full frame land has gone totally wrong with 4.4fps... and not even 60p in FullHD ...

plz.

try to make us happy again and start thinking about a weather-sealed Q with pop out EVF
(like on Sonys RX 100 series) or at least Tilt and Swivel display!!

---------- Post added 02-25-16 at 12:37 PM ----------

even a simple built in EVF like on panasonic tz-61 would do and shouldnt make the WR signature impossible...
02-26-2016, 01:34 AM   #214

-16 mp foveon sensor that makes q 02 standard zoom ~17-20mm. (start)
-2.35:1 sensor
-10mm helicoid flange focal reducer that ties into the q system and u can select a mount to attach. the focal reducer adjusts the lens elements inside the focal reducer to each flange focal distance. ...holy hell im a genius ^^ (flange focal reducer element helicoid inside a 10mm helicoid)
-efv in the place of the flash shoe. !!!NOONE WILL CARE IF ITS A LITTLE BIT BIGGER!!!
-move the flash shoe to the left and make a universal micro flash that fits any shoe and pops up just like the q flash. (when u slide the q flash switch)

above flash i think is one of the only things that does not exist in the mirrorless market. universal micro flash that would function like the q flash and work on any hotshoe. holy hell!!

02-27-2016, 11:57 AM   #215
Veteran Member

Here's a question: We know the Q-mount lenses were designed to cover a 1/1.7" sensor. But can they cover more than that? If so, how much more? Clearly, they won't cover a one-inch sensor. But would they get halfway there? I'm asking because I'm wondering if Pentax could use a one-inch sensor in the next Q and thereby allow multi-aspect cropping without losing overall image size and resolution, the way Panasonic does with the LX100. Clearly, they could do that - but can they do it without wasting too much sensor real estate? Otherwise, the future of the Q line may hinge on the availbility of state-of-the-art 1/1.7" sensors. And there's no guarantee of that at all.
02-27-2016, 04:34 PM   #216
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Forums Staff:
Do you have any updates for Pentax Q users?

The Q line is still a current line, but we focused our limited resources on the K-1. We plan to release the roadmapped Q-mount macro lens in the near future.
Source : 2016 CP+ Pentax Interview - PentaxForums.com
02-27-2016, 11:45 PM   #217
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Otherwise, the future of the Q line may hinge on the availbility of state-of-the-art 1/1.7" sensors. And there's no guarantee of that at all.
I wonder how much further improvement is even possible with sensors and lenses of this size, given the laws of optics?

02-28-2016, 05:21 AM   #218

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Here's a question: We know the Q-mount lenses were designed to cover a 1/1.7" sensor. But can they cover more than that? If so, how much more? Clearly, they won't cover a one-inch sensor. But would they get halfway there? I'm asking because I'm wondering if Pentax could use a one-inch sensor in the next Q and thereby allow multi-aspect cropping without losing overall image size and resolution, the way Panasonic does with the LX100. Clearly, they could do that - but can they do it without wasting too much sensor real estate? Otherwise, the future of the Q line may hinge on the availbility of state-of-the-art 1/1.7" sensors. And there's no guarantee of that at all.
I wonder what makes you think there won't be further development of small sensors. Aren't about one gazillion small sensors sold for every large sensor?
02-28-2016, 06:38 AM   #219
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Q Wide Angle

The spokesman mentioned the Q macro is still coming.
02-28-2016, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #220
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eyeswideshut Quote
I wonder what makes you think there won't be further development of small sensors. Aren't about one gazillion small sensors sold for every large sensor?
For smartphones, yes, a lot of small sensors are made and sold. Not so much for dedicated cameras anymore. But it looks like the 1/1.7" sensor seems to be odd man out these days. It's neither fish nor foul and most of the cameramakers seem to be rushng toward the one-inch sensor for their enthusiast compacts. True, the Q uses the 1/1.7" chip and so does the Olympus Stylus 1s and maybe two other cameras that I'm aware of. Further development of this sized sensor is certainly possible. But it doesn't appear to be happening at the same rate as for larger and smaller sensors. It's likely a supply-and-demand issue. Hence, my original question. But if the Q-mount's image circle takes it, say, half way to a one-inch sensor, perhaps there's an opportunity to use the larger chip and get the added benefit of a multi-aspect view.
02-28-2016, 09:14 AM   #221
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been thinking about whether Q could step up to a 1" sensor, with future lens development targeted to 1" sensor lenses and legacy Q lenses serving as crop lenses on the 1" sensor - analogous to apsc lenses on the K-1.

Would Q mount even accept a lens designed to cover a 1" sensor?

02-28-2016, 09:19 AM   #222
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eyeswideshut Quote
Exactly what Biro said. We are seeing 1/2.33" sensors in superzooms, and premium compact P&S now use 1" sensors. The 1/1.7" sensor used the the current Q hasn't had a new camera body wrapped around it for a while.

---------- Post added 02-28-16 at 11:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I've been thinking about whether Q could step up to a 1" sensor, with future lens development targeted to 1" sensor lenses and legacy Q lenses serving as crop lenses on the 1" sensor - analogous to apsc lenses on the K-1.

Would Q mount even accept a lens designed to cover a 1" sensor?
I don't recall if it was posted on this forum or elsewhere, but some person did measure the Q mount and concluded that it might be able to cover the 2/3" Fuji sensor, but not the 1".

Last year at some point (don't remember if it was this forum) I proposed using the 1" sensor with Panasonic-style multi-aspect (like Biro posted) and if pixels went unused, oh well.

But is it worth it for Ricoh? Is there a growing market for the Q system, or has that market been sated?
02-28-2016, 01:21 PM   #223
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
But is it worth it for Ricoh? Is there a growing market for the Q system, or has that market been sated?
Aye, that's the question, isn't it? At least we know Ricoh considers the Q line current and is planning new products for it. If we see a new-generation 1/1.7" sensor released by Sony or someone else in the next year, we'll know we're set with the current set-up for while. If not, we'll have to see how creative Ricoh can get. I like monochrome's idea for a Q with a one-inch sensor but allowing for a crop field of view using older Q-mount lenses, a la the K-1 with full frame and APS-C. It's waiting in the dark that's maddening.
02-28-2016, 03:51 PM   #224
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The larger sensor Q bodies are already cropping some lenses now. Don't see a 1" sensor working in the Q. Could see borrowing the K cams pixel shift feature for more resolution of still subjects. Also astrotracer would be nice.
thanks
barondla
02-28-2016, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #225
Veteran Member

If you look at individual DxO scores of the 1/1.7 in the Q7/QS1 vs the Micro Four-Thirds sensor in the GM1/GM5 you'll notice that the little 1/1.7 nearly matches the larger sensor in exposure range and color fidelity. The only place that it lags behind is in high ISO.

As far as development of the 1/1.7 sensor, I wouldn't be surprised if they show up in phones and phablets from manufacturers seeking a competitive advantage over rivals, assuming they can figure out the optics. Or maybe in response to the growth of 1" sensors, second tier camera makers like Casio, Kodak, and others start incorporating the 1/1.7" sensor in their designs in order to compete.

As it stands, I'm quite happy with the Q system. The only improvement that I'd really like to see is in AF speed. That would help a lot in social settings.