Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2016, 09:01 AM   #241
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Pano GM5,will suit you...lots of glass,a good size sensor,touch screen,with wifi&NFC....close to the price of a qs1....pancakes make it very pocketable
Except that the GM-5 is more costly than the QS-1, I agree 100%. In addition it is better built, has better Image Quality and will have a feel similar to the original Q. However having said that, my Q7 does seem to feel more secure when using though that may just be a mental thing with me as metal bodies always feel more slippery to me.

03-22-2016, 09:52 AM   #242
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In Australia,the price isn't much higher...around U$ 50,so its a better proposition.

I won't be selling my Q7,but the
Pano gm5 sets the standard in the small ilc sector.
03-22-2016, 10:52 AM   #243
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pano GM5,will suit you...lots of glass,a good size sensor,touch screen,with wifi&NFC....close to the price of a qs1....pancakes make it very pocketable
In Australia,the price isn't much higher...around U$ 50,so its a better proposition.
Let's try again.

Before I bought my Q-7 sixteen months ago, I developed a spreadsheet with lots of rows (attributes) and lots of columns (cameras),
which convinced me that the Q-7 would do the best job of meeting my needs, of filling certain roles. Seldom do I retire a camera in
less than four years, so under normal circumstances I wouldn't even think of re-evaluating right now.

However, I do recognize the lack of an EVF as a weakness of the "Q" family. That does not mean I will switch just in order to get an EVF,
because my prior research has shown that I would lose more than I would gain, but I do believe that adding an EVF to it would be a significant
improvement, and I say that any time the issue is raised. In fact, I feel that so strongly that I probably would ditch the four year standard and
buy an EVF-equipped Q within six months or so of its being released. In fact, conceivably I might even buy an EVF-equipped K-02 within six
months of its being release, despite the fact that I bought my K-30 last June.

YMMV

I won't be selling my Q7, but the Pano gm5 sets the standard in the small ilc sector.
That all depends on what the standard consists of and how you define "small ILC sector"

Last edited by reh321; 03-22-2016 at 12:06 PM. Reason: added thought
03-22-2016, 12:56 PM   #244
Pentaxian

Small equals Q size...compact size

If R/P was going to bring out a view finder model I think it would have happened by now, I personally am very comfortable using the screen.Then when the suns reflecting the loupe goes on, which isn't often.The Loupes work great especially with manual lenses.

Brick 2 wont happen

03-22-2016, 01:57 PM   #245
Pentaxian

Small equals Q size...compact size
Because of my wife's hobby as a bird-watcher, personally I'm more interested in the size of the sensor than in the size of the body; that puts MFT cameras in a slightly different class than the one occupied by the "Q" family and super-zoom bridge cameras.

If R/P was going to bring out a view finder model I think it would have happened by now, I personally am very comfortable using the screen.Then when the suns reflecting the loupe goes on, which isn't often.The Loupes work great especially with manual lenses.
Pentax has said that all their resources were focused on the K-1 this past year. We should wait another year before declaring the Q to have reached the end of its progression. MF is exactly where I need help; yes, the loupe works, but I'd rather not have it take up room in my camera bag {I don't see what is wrong with saying "this is one area in which I would like to see improvement"; a guy should be allowed to have dreams}

Last edited by reh321; 03-22-2016 at 02:02 PM. Reason: clarify thought
03-22-2016, 03:16 PM   #246
Pentaxian

there are bigger bags.

I didn't indicate that the Q progression has ended, but a EVF should have been added if they were going to do one....4 versions no evf.People were calling for it after the original Q was released(2012).Its only my assumption it wont happen.But keep wishing and hoping.
03-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #247
Pentaxian

there are bigger bags.
If I'm going to need a bigger bag, I'll be thinking in terms of a bigger camera; you may use it for an inherently smaller camera if you want. I'm simply saying that it makes sense to optimize the package. I'm happy with what I have right now, so I won't need anything from any camera manufacturer for another four years or so. My earlier comments indicated what Pentax could do to lure me to make another purchase before then, but I have no need to send more money to them - I'd be perfectly happy not buying anything new and simply using what I already have. My "Q" and I took a walk and watched some geese while you were posting the message I'm responding to. Right now I'm thinking in terms of leaving the computer for awhile and sitting on our deck with my "Q".
I didn't indicate that the Q progression has ended, but a EVF should have been added if they were going to do one....4 versions no evf.People were calling for it after the original Q was released(2012).Its only my assumption it wont happen.But keep wishing and hoping.
That's the plan!

03-22-2016, 03:49 PM   #248
Pentaxian

While you were posting, I was out with my resident Qkangaroos....
05-04-2016, 08:25 AM   #249
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am feeling a strange sense of optimism about the future Q.

We've been told that the Q line isn't dead. It was just on the back burner for a while -- understandably, I think -- because of the K-1. If we take that statement as fact, and a new Q body is really in the works, then. . . It could be great. I think it could be great because now, under Ricoh's umbrella, Pentax seems to be on a roll. They've had great success with the 654Z. The K-1 rollout appears to be a rousing success. That prompted me to look at the K-S2, which I hadn't really paid much attention to before, and discover that it's actually a remarkably appealing camera too. (Appealing to the point that one is on its way to me now!) This is a company that is moving from strength to strength, at least on the product front, if perhaps not so much in distribution or marketing.

I've given my wish list several times for a future Q. . . But even if Pentax go in a different direction, and the next Q model isn't anything like what I envisioned, I've got a feeling of increased confidence that it will be something good. Because when you're hot, you're hot. Right now, Pentax is running a hot streak.
05-04-2016, 10:08 AM   #250
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
But even if Pentax go in a different direction, and the next Q model isn't anything like what I envisioned, I've got a feeling of increased confidence that it will be something good. Because when you're hot, you're hot. Right now, Pentax is running a hot streak.
Well Ricoh is quite capable of going off at a tangent, viz the GXR, and so is Pentax, e.g. the 110, put the two together and who knows. On the other hand, Ricoh cameras have a lot more detail in them than you'd think, years ago I bought a CX-1 a very capable p + s which goes in my pocket most days, my Q is just a bit awkward for that though it may change with my recently acquired 01. I think you might find that Ricoh's input to Pentax is more in the menu's and usability than in physical design. I agree though that marketing is not good so it's perhaps as well that both Ricoh and Pentax have a loyal user base.
11-27-2016, 10:24 PM   #251

Any news on the new Q ?
11-28-2016, 05:13 AM   #252
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bichu Quote
Any news on the new Q ?
Sadly, no. Most speculation is that the Q series may have been discontinued. We will see in a few months.
11-28-2016, 10:56 AM   #253
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Sadly, no. Most speculation is that the Q series may have been discontinued. We will see in a few months.
I have to point out once again, we've been told on two different occasions, in interviews, that the Q system is continuing.

Of course, it's possible that they might mislead us in order to sell the remaining inventory. I'd like to think better of Ricoh-Pentax than that, but there's no way to prove it. It's also possible that new Q stuff was in the works, but then later was cancelled. That happens sometimes. A plan is not necessarily a promise.

I'll go out on a limb and make this prediction, though: Pentax will not get completely out of mirrorless. If they drop the Q system, it'll be because they're bringing in something new that we haven't even heard about.
11-28-2016, 11:25 AM   #254
Banned

Q isn't on sale in Europe anymore. So maybe this would continue as a Japan only product, but probably it is on it's end.
11-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #255
Pentaxian

Ricoh NX, bought from Samsung!....ha ha, now theres a rumour!