Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2015, 12:04 AM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote

There will be a new Q. Why would Ricoh abandon something that sells well in the home market? They won't. The Q line isn't tied to yearly updates as much as more main stream cameras.
I sure hope so, however, where it once was unique there is now formidable competition from both 1" and 4/3 cameras that did not exist when the Q hit the shelves. So I wonder do we actually know anything about Q sales in Japan nowadays?

11-09-2015, 02:20 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2015/02/mirrorless-camera-statistics-from-japan.html

Eyeswideshut, found this chart prepared from BCI data. Shows the Q selling above the Nikon 1 system in Japan. If true, can't see Pentax throwing that away.

thanks
barondla
11-09-2015, 02:49 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
-------->
Attached Images

11-09-2015, 05:11 AM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Micro 4/3rds Photography: Mirrorless camera statistics from Japan

Eyeswideshut, found this chart prepared from BCI data. Shows the Q selling above the Nikon 1 system in Japan. If true, can't see Pentax throwing that away.

thanks
barondla
Thanks for the link. Pretty stable performance over the years.

11-09-2015, 07:38 PM   #50

wider panoramic foveon sensor that makes standard prime effectively a 17mm or 24mm lens ^^ © Q Pan © making the q a 27 megapixel panoramic powerhouse that would rival bmpcc =)

that would sell like hotcakes!!
11-15-2015, 03:35 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
So back to the main topic... Looks like the Q-S1 is on closeout at Adorama. Does this mean a new model is inevitable? Or that Adorama will no longer carry it? Or Pentax is doing away with it?
11-17-2015, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #52

I think the 1/1.7 sensor format is where the Q line ends. The 01, 02, and 06 were designed with an image circle that accommodates the larger Q7 and Q-S1 sensors, but back when the Q and Q10 had smaller sensors. So it seems clear they had a 1/1.7 in mind from the beginning. So increasing sensor size would render the current Q lenses incompatible. I don't think automatic electronic crop would make sense because it would negate the benefits of a larger than 1/1.7 sensor, so Ricoh would have to effectively introduce an entirely new line of lenses. And then at that point, likely a new, larger mount. Which means.... you no longer have a Q mount.

So the Q line ends with 1/1.7. Some of the people in this thread are dreamers. I sympathize with their fantasies but the reality is what I just typed above. I don't need an inside track with Ricoh to see that much. 1/1.7 is the end of the line.

Now, will they release one more model with a Q mount @ 1/1.7 and some new features? Maybe an EFV, or a slightly revamped exterior? Possibly. But were I betting man, I would say no EFV. Part of the Q line's "product personality" is that it is small. And the original Q and the Q-S1 are essentially the same size (very minor differences), and at that size an EFV just doesn't make sense from a manufacturing and consumer point of view both. As someone else noted here, most consumers won't care. Last year I bought a Nikon superzoom point and shoot for my friend. It's a great camera with a big zoom reach. It also lacks a viewfinder. Interestingly enough, I have a Fujifilm superzoom point and shoot of specs a bit less than her camera, and it HAS an EFV. That camera is also over ten years old and at the time the superzoom point and shoot market was FRESH.... so companies were experimenting with "legacy" features such as an EFV.

But as also previously mentioned in this thread, since then the average consumer has become quite accustomed to using a cellphone screen as both a live view and indeed as a touch interface. Which is why you hear people praising cameras with touch screens... even on DSLR bodies. Also this is what led to flip-out screens, something my friend's Nikon point and shoot has (and mine doesn't), and something the new K-S model and indeed the FF has. Which emphasizes the importance on the LCD, NOT the viewfinder. Again, because of consumer perceptions over the last ten years.

SO... what does this mean for the Q line? In summary:

1. 1/1.7 is the limit. Or you aren't getting a Q mount anymore and you effectively end the line.

2. If there is one more Q, the revisions will be minor. But don't expect an EFV, because manufacturing and consumer considerations don't favor it.

I think it's more likely we will see a better mirrorless K-mount with EFV introduced instead of a final Q model. The K-01 was a joke. For its size it *should* have come with an EFV, and with a bit better build quality (none of those crappy rubber door flaps, but locking doors like any DSLR), maybe WR. A PROPER mirrorless K mount body would find a happy home in the marketplace I think.

And I am beginning to think our beloved Q system is now decommissioned in all but official terms. Buy your Pentax Q lenses and bodies while you still can. It really is going the way of the Auto 110 system.

11-17-2015, 01:03 PM   #53
Veteran Member

The 1/1.7" sensor is the end of the line for the current lenses. However ... could there be another line of Q lenses that project a larger image circle? There are DA and FA lenses for a K-mount made for FF. Perhaps the Q0x lenses are for 1/1.7" and the Q1x lenses would be for a larger sensor. I can't imagine what the next worthwhile jump would be.

I can't see the financial justification for enlarging the sensor. Ricoh would need to abandon the current Q0x lenses completely and move on to developing new lenses. This may be very costly.
11-18-2015, 08:54 PM   #54

To me, I would only ask a sensor with PDAF built-in in the next Q body and nothing else......
1/1.7" is good enough for me.
not interested in video....
no WiFi or NFC....can live with that......
No EVF....sure,,,,,
Just my 2 cents......
11-25-2015, 09:27 AM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by souless Quote
To me, I would only ask a sensor with PDAF built-in in the next Q body and nothing else......
No EVF....sure,,,,,
Just my 2 cents......
This is a good suggestion.
11-25-2015, 01:35 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by souless Quote
No EVF....sure,,,,,
Just my 2 cents......
This discussion of Phase Detection verses Contrast Detection always amuses me. It seems like a step backward. Most folks don’t realize but when Pentax came out with it’s first series of cameras such as the istDS and K100, K10 series which all had CCD sensors they HAD Phase Detection. That went away with the K20D model when Pentax started using the more popular and less costly CMOS sensors. The K200D which was also issued around the same time as the K20 continued with the CCD sensor and Phase Detection focusing.
11-25-2015, 02:48 PM   #57
Veteran Member

EVF, 1" sensor and a proper in body shutter - done.

A few from last summer. Q S-1 at 560mm about 30 - 40 feet.

Last edited by wildman; 11-27-2015 at 02:13 PM.
11-25-2015, 03:01 PM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
EVF, 1" sensor and a proper in body shutter - done.

A few from last summer. Q S-1 at 560mm about 30 - 40 feet.
These are very nice images.

Which lens are you using to get 560mm??
Which adapter are you using???
11-25-2015, 03:49 PM   #59

Pentax Q vs. Nikon Coolpix P900 - Sensor Comparison

Gimme 16mp in the Q body. Done! (evf would be icing on the cake)
11-25-2015, 04:00 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 99exposures Quote
Pentax Q vs. Nikon Coolpix P900 - Sensor Comparison

Gimme 16mp in the Q body. Done! (evf would be icing on the cake)
You do know that in order to achieve this the pixel sites would have to to smaller and would result in an increase in the noise levels and a reduction in dynamic range. Are you willing to make that sacrifice?