Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2015, 09:59 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I don't think the application space for 1/1.7" sensors is big enough to warrant a lot of active development. In fact, I would even question how much active development is done in the 1/2.3" space. Just because there are a lot of these sensors doesn't mean they are improving. Only "low hanging fruit" gets put in that basket. Fuji is pushing the 2/3" size which is marginally larger than 1/1.7". Other than that ...

I am also satisfied with my Q7 kit and I have no desire to replace it. If a better 1/1.7" sensor appears in a future Q model then I may upgrade. Otherwise, I'll keep shooting with it until it dies and I get another Q7.

If I want a camera with a bigger sensor then I can get on any time. Right now I have a Q, an Olympus M10, and a K-3. That's my Small-Medium-Large. I'm happy.
I basically agree. I've traditionally had two relatively inexpensive cameras, which I've typically used for 5-10 years I bought my Q-7 11 months ago and my K-30 6 months ago, so under normal circumstances my next purchase is in the far distant future. I did a lot of research, including asking many questions here 12 months ago, so I knew exactly what I was getting into with the Q-7, and I bought the Q-7 then partly because I didn't expect any major changes in the near future. I might replace it if the Q-S2 included an EVF ... but I don't expect anything like that soon (and then I'd wait a year or two for the price to become reasonable).

As a result of your comments, I wandered over to eBay, where I found 44 new Q-7's and 126 new Q-S1's listed, so I have no fear that the supply is going to dry up any time soon. One thing I always do there is to look for a median price; I list them in total price order and then look a the middle, because that gives me a sense of the general price level. Today, the median price of the Q-7 list is $420 and the median price of the Q-S1 list is $390; this is the first time I've noticed Q-S1 in the same vicinity as the Q-7 price, so I guess the Q-S1 has finally settled down.

---------- Post added 11-28-15 at 12:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Using Perfect Resize 9.5, I print 13x19 inch, 1:1 cropped images PP'd with LR 5.7.1 taken with the Q7/08 on a Canon Pro-100 that others enjoy and willingly buy (they are crisp, colorful and look really really good, too).

Just sayin' & not complainin' ... M
Yeah, I've been convinced for some time now that people are way too focused on MP.

Around 2002, when I was first thinking of going digital, I had some Kodachrome 25 slides scanned by a professional; he produced 3000x2000 scans. I set myself up with the computer and slide projector so I could compare the two. Every detail I could see on the slide I could also see on the corresponding scanned image (and the slides included pictures taken in a room with lots of reading material around), so I said I would get serious about digital when 6MP cameras came down to my price range.

11-28-2015, 06:52 PM   #92

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
In terms of pixel density, 12MP on the original "crop sensor" Q
is the same as 20MP on the "full frame" Q7.

So the main issue would concern the edge resolution of the lenses.
exactly! thank you.
01-13-2016, 08:57 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Seems there are no signs, nay, not even a rumor, of an upcoming Q camera (or people are too deep into the FF parade they don't notice if there are any)

I sure hope there's still a Q up Pentax's sleeve. Lots of new tech from Ricoh to incorporate, as well as sensor tech from Sony.
01-14-2016, 01:00 AM   #94

No new Q, but maybe a new lens?
New Ricoh patent for a Pentax Q 4.2mm f/1.8 lens | Pentax Rumors

01-14-2016, 04:08 PM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by morane_j Quote
I do hope they push through with releasing even just 1 (non-toy) lens. The Q is still a great system even if people are comparing it to smartphones.
01-14-2016, 04:35 PM   #96

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
My "concern" is that development on the 1/1.7" sensor has essentially stopped. If you look at the sensors that bracket it - the 1/2.33" and 1" sensors (I'm not counting Fuji 2/3" X-Trans) - those sensors have increased MP count significantly since the introduction of the 12MP 1/1.7" sensor.
What are you talking about? Sony IMX204 Exmor RS is available at 20MP.
Sony Global - Products
01-17-2016, 01:21 AM   #97

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
This discussion of Phase Detection verses Contrast Detection always amuses me. It seems like a step backward. Most folks don’t realize but when Pentax came out with it’s first series of cameras such as the istDS and K100, K10 series which all had CCD sensors they HAD Phase Detection. That went away with the K20D model when Pentax started using the more popular and less costly CMOS sensors. The K200D which was also issued around the same time as the K20 continued with the CCD sensor and Phase Detection focusing.
I think he meant PDAF on chip(image sensor) not on a separate AF sensor
like all the other mirrorless cameras

01-17-2016, 04:52 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My wishlist for the next Q version:

1. Articulating LCD please
2. LCD with higher resolution please. Easier to manual focus.
3. Focus peaking of another colour please
4. Better battery life please
01-17-2016, 08:05 AM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
My wishlist for the next Q version:

1. Articulating LCD please
2. LCD with higher resolution please. Easier to manual focus.
3. Focus peaking of another colour please
4. Better battery life please
Wishes 2 and 4 work against each other.
Higher-resolution LCDs create more drain on the battery.
Let's remember that the Q system involves a lot of compromises.
Again, wish 1 would work against the compactness and portability of the camera,
as would wish 4 if it meant switching from the D-L168 to something bigger.

On the other hand, different focus-peaking colours shouldn't be a problem.
They could even be selectable by the front wheel after zooming in to focus,
and then the wheel could revert to its original use when the shutter button is touched.
01-17-2016, 09:14 AM   #100

Endless hope ?
I'm afraid the Q line is...Dead.
Pentax/Ricoh is making camera business for making money.
All is said...
01-17-2016, 09:36 AM   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Phenix jc Quote
So please explain why would they give up one of their more popular lines
in some of the most populous countries of the world!
01-17-2016, 09:52 AM   #102

No matter for discussion : If they earn enough money, then the Q line will continue. So : Wait & See.
(but, 2 posts, 209+100 replies, 6,776+10,829 views, and...)
01-17-2016, 11:13 AM   #103

QuoteOriginally posted by Phenix jc Quote
Endless hope ?
All is said...
Oh boy. I guess there's one in every crowd.
01-17-2016, 12:21 PM   #104
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
So please explain why would they give up one of their more popular linesin some of the most populous countries of the world!

Maybe for the same reason they are devoting substantial resources to develop a full frame camera when that segment of the market has shown little to no growth in the past few years and 4/3 and APS-C mirrorless cameras are the segments of the camera market that have shown substantial growth. Pentax seems to lack the ability to predict/anticipate the market or offer inspired products in market segments that show growth.

If anyone watched the Fujifilm launch of their revised product line which was broadcast on YouTube this past Thursday night you saw how Fuji anticipated the market and developed their X line of cameras based on the feedback from professional photographers around the world. They also explained how they will continue to produce firmware updates to keep older models as up to date as possible so your one or two year old camera will not become obsolete when a new model comes out.

While Pentax does not seem to have vision, they do not make a bad product. I think Pentax makes some of the most durable cameras on the market but they are the absolute worst and I mean the ABSOLUTE worst at marketing their products. I bet a group of 10 year olds, each of whom spoke a different language, would have more success at marketing Pentax cameras then the current marketing team. Hopefully, for their sake, as well as those who have bought into the Pentax line, they have some sort of plan to correct that problem but I am not waiting for that to happen.
01-17-2016, 12:32 PM   #105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
If anyone watched the Fujifilm launch of their revised product line which was broadcast on YouTube this past Thursday night you saw how Fuji anticipated the market ...

I think Pentax makes some of the most durable cameras on the market but they are the absolute worst and I mean the ABSOLUTE worst at marketing their products.
Free markets work well when they give consumers a choice.

I am not willing to pay Fuji prices, just to subsidize a lot of marketing expense.
OTOH, I am very happy to be able to buy quality Pentax products
at low prices which don't have to cover a bloated marketing campaign.