Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2016, 11:33 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am also starting to take a liking on the small GM1 series...

Assuming one has a Q01, 02, 06, 08 lenses, what lenses could one get for the GM1 to match the pentax in terms of fov and aperture? What would you guys recommend?

01-21-2016, 11:44 PM   #122

this tells u all u need to know about 35mm equivalents for different sensor sizes =D
pentax q is 1/2.3" ~7.66mm diagonal
16mm film is 2/3" ~11mm diagonal
micro 4/3 is 4/3"

if u want to convert other film formats use Pythagorean theorem. h*h + w*w square root = diagonal. for instance half frame 18*18 + 24*24 sqrt...= 30mm diagonal. half frame diagonal 30mm divided by pentax q diagonal 7.66mm = crop factor. crop factor determines the multiplier u will use to get the used camera focal length with the other camera lens.

40mm half frame lens will be equal to 157mm lens on the pentax q. =D

40mm half frame lens will be equal to 55mm lens on m4/3

35mm Equivalent Focal Length Calculator
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format

Last edited by xerxal; 01-22-2016 at 12:08 AM.
01-21-2016, 11:53 PM - 1 Like   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I am also starting to take a liking on the small GM1 series...

Assuming one has a Q01, 02, 06, 08 lenses, what lenses could one get for the GM1 to match the pentax in terms of fov and aperture? What would you guys recommend?
Panny 20/1.7 = 01 Prime (wide normal)

Panny 12-32 Vario = 02 (normal zoom)
The Panny collapses so it is smaller than the 02

Panny 35-100 Vario = 06 (long zoom)
This Panny is impressively small as well but is not constant F2.8 like the 06

Oly 9-18 = 08 (wide zoom)
All M43 options are much bigger than the 08

Personally, I pair the GM1 with primes (14/2.5, 20/1.7, and 45/1.8) while I typically pair the Q7 with the 02, 06, and 08 zooms.

---------- Post added 01-22-16 at 01:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
It actually is much faster for those of us who learned that method during the film days. I have the touch screen focusing on three of my cameras and I am much faster and much more accurate at using the spot focusing method and then quickly reframing especially when using an EVF. Olympus has a touch screen tracking component that works OK but some Olympus shooters still complain about missed shots while others shut the touch screen off completely due to accidental photographs. I guess it all depends on your needs and potential use.
I used to focus and recompose as well. I am faster with the camera set up to touch/shoot.
01-22-2016, 12:13 AM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xerxal Quote
micro 4/3 is 4/3"
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
All M43 options are much bigger than the 08

Personally, I pair the GM1 with primes (14/2.5, 20/1.7, and 45/1.8) while I typically pair the Q7 with the 02, 06, and 08 zooms.
Many thanks John. This is good info.

01-22-2016, 05:25 AM   #125
Veteran Member

Just on the set focus and recompose method....what are your success rates in getting sharp photos? just curious.....
01-22-2016, 07:45 AM   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Just on the set focus and recompose method....what are your success rates in getting sharp photos? just curious.....
Eh? There's not really much that can go wrong with it, as long as I have a couple of seconds. When things are moving, then multi-point autofocus is a better bet. Especially with the Q7, because its multi-point autofocus is really quite good and doesn't flub many shots anyhow.
01-22-2016, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #127
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Touch screen focus point selection is fine for LCD shooting, but I thought we universally agreed we want our eye to something and we're debating whether it's an EVF or OVF. I can't for the life of me understand why we want to use an LCD either way.

01-22-2016, 09:30 AM   #128
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
Eh? There's not really much that can go wrong with it, as long as I have a couple of seconds. When things are moving, then multi-point autofocus is a better bet. Especially with the Q7, because its multi-point autofocus is really quite good and doesn't flub many shots anyhow.
Frankly I've found the Q-7 multi-point autofocus to work slightly better than what my K-30 provides. Personally, I am completely satisfied with autofocus on the Q-7, and I see absolutely no reason to mess with it. EVF would be much more important to me, personally.

But this whole discussion illustrates a problem Pentax has. They have a limits, in both resources and product line, basically matching their limited market, and wildly different desires expressed by us.
01-22-2016, 10:34 AM   #129
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In this DP review the reviewer notes some of the major differences between the GM-1 and GM5. Late in 2014 I had tried a GM-1 but quite honestly, except for image quality, it did not offer enough to pull me away from the Q7. About 16 months later when I tried the GM-5 with the built in EVF I found a camera that not only has better image quality than the Q7 but offers ease of use features I could rely upon. This past December during a visit to Chicago when my Olympus E-M10 locked up and quit working on the second day of my trip the GM-5 and 15mm Leica lens in my coat pocket saved the day. While I usually do not like to use fixed focal length lenses, I like the 15mm Leica on my GM-5 because it has an aperture ring and allows me to shoot old school style.

While my GM-5 came with the 12-32mm kit lens which in 35mm terms is 24-64mm. for my Micro 4/3 system I had the 20mm f1.7 Panasonic, and the 45mm f1.8 Olympus fixed focal length lenses, which fit nicely on any of my4/3 cameras and were not so large to be uncomfortable on the GM-5. Even the highly rated Panasonic 14-45mm zoom which offers image quality similar to the highly rated 20mm lens is not so imposing to be uncomfortable though that totally negates any thoughts of the system being pocket able but it allows you to build a system that could make use of other Micro 4/3 cameras in the future. That is one great features of the 4/3 system. During the day I could use the lenses on either my Olympus E-M10 or E-M5 and at night when going out for dinner I could put the same lenses on my GM-5 and carry it in my coat pocket. When I carry my Q7 and K-5 I obviously cannot do that without the use of an adapter which renders some functions such as autofocus useless. The 20mm and 45mm lenses have since been sold and replaced by some larger pro line zoom lenses.

Here is a video shot by Panasonic to
and some of the lenses designed specifically for it.

While I appreciate all the 4/3 system has to offer and did a lot of experimenting with it through 2015, I have maintained one of my Q7’s as well as the 01, 02 and 06 lenses for doing the model shots I have posted on this forum. It still offers the best depth of field and does feel a bit more comfortable in my hand than the GM-5. I cannot say the same about the feeling of the Q-S1 which I tried in 2015.

Here is the setup I usually carry in my jacket pocket.

Shots taken with the GM-5 and 15mm lens during my trip to Chicago. All were shot JPG and downsized for posting. All shots hand held in ambient light. ISO 1600 with various shutter speeds.
Stairway in the Palmer House Hotel oldest continuous operational hotel in North America. Shot at f1.7.

Former Chicago Public Library shot at f2.0

---------- Post added 01-22-16 at 10:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
But this whole discussion illustrates a problem Pentax has. They have a limits, in both resources and product line, basically matching their limited market, and wildly different desires expressed by us.
Unlike other manufactures such as Fuji which relies on feedback from their shooters, and explained during their product release presentation last week how that feedback is used to plan new or revised products, Pentax seems to be going down a different path. They have committed resources to development of the FF camera when that is the market segment that reportedly showed a big decline in the past year while the mirrorless market supposedly did the best though even that market showed a decline over previous years.

Last edited by CWRailman; 01-22-2016 at 10:54 AM.
01-25-2016, 02:41 AM   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Ok there are many different requests for features in a new Q but the most consistent seems to me to be for an EVF, with the GM5 discussed by Denny, Panasonic removed the flash from the GM1 and replaced it with an EVF so I assume that something similar could happen to the next Q without compromising it's size too much. A small dedicated add-on flash would probably be better than the built in one anyway.

As far as I'm concerned a screen which did not act as much as a mirror would be a big improvement which should be just a question of treating the glass with some non reflective goo.

A battery which lasted a bit longer would be a help particularly as my Q10 suffers from the reset the date every time you change the battery syndrome.

Some of the menu features available on Ricoh compacts like snap focus, step zoom which allows the selection of fixed focal lengths when zooming and the ability to take simultaneous colour, B&W and sepia toned images at the same time should not be that difficult to implement in software.

I suspect that most if not all of their resources are tied up with the upcoming release of the Full Frame Pentax after which they might turn their minds back to the Q but then again would a full fledged Q be taking sales away from the FF and APS-C lines.

CD

---------- Post added 01-25-2016 at 09:46 AM ----------

QuoteQuote:
While I appreciate all the 4/3 system has to offer and did a lot of experimenting with it through 2015, I have maintained one of my Q7’s as well as the 01, 02 and 06 lenses for doing the model shots I have posted on this forum. It still offers the best depth of field and does feel a bit more comfortable in my hand than the GM-5. I cannot say the same about the feeling of the Q-S1 which I tried in 2015.
What was wrong with the Q-S1.

The nearest real camera shop is a 5 hour drive away and it does not stock Ricoh/Pentax gear so I have to rely on other peoples opinions and buy online.

CD
01-25-2016, 09:04 AM   #131
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
What was wrong with the Q-S1.
Last year I accidently met with a lady who was visiting the railroad park here in Scottsdale, Arizona. I saw she was shooting with a Q-S1 so I approached her, told her I had a Q7, which I did not have on me at the time as I had my GM-5 in my pocket, and asked her what she thought of the Q-S1. As I demonstrated some good angles to get shots at the park, she then let me handle the camera and take a few shots of her with it. That knob on the right hand side is a designers night mare. It felt like a cheep add on and the camera did not feel anywhere as secure in my hand as my Q7 and left me wondering what were the Pentax designers thinking. ( NOTE: While I like the GM-5, my Q7 actually feels more secure in hand than the GM-5.) She said she had the same feeling and was sorry that she had sold her Q7 in order to get the newer model which she anticipated, based on some reports she had read would have better autofocus when shooting video. She said so far she had not gotten any benefit from the newer model and should not have wasted the money with the upgrade.
01-25-2016, 09:34 AM   #132
Veteran Member

Last year I accidently met with a lady who was visiting the railroad park here in Scottsdale, Arizona. I saw she was shooting with a Q-S1 so I approached her, told her I had a Q7, which I did not have on me at the time as I had my GM-5 in my pocket, and asked her what she thought of the Q-S1. As I demonstrated some good angles to get shots at the park, she then let me handle the camera and take a few shots of her with it. That knob on the right hand side is a designers night mare. It felt like a cheep add on and the camera did not feel anywhere as secure in my hand as my Q7 and left me wondering what were the Pentax designers thinking. ( NOTE: While I like the GM-5, my Q7 actually feels more secure in hand than the GM-5.) She said she had the same feeling and was sorry that she had sold her Q7 in order to get the newer model which she anticipated, based on some reports she had read would have better autofocus when shooting video. She said so far she had not gotten any benefit from the newer model and should not have wasted the money with the upgrade.
Agree 100%
01-25-2016, 09:41 AM   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wondered about that, it looks wrong, some time ago my daughter-in-law let me have her M3 Leica for a few days, a camera which I had always dreamed of having but I found the delayed action lever was just in my hand position and I could not like it at all.

Thank you for the information.

CD
01-25-2016, 10:26 AM   #134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
Ok there are many different requests for features in a new Q but the most consistent seems to me to be for an EVF, with the GM5 discussed by Denny, Panasonic removed the flash from the GM1 and replaced it with an EVF so I assume that something similar could happen to the next Q without compromising it's size too much. A small dedicated add-on flash would probably be better than the built in one anyway.
I'm sure we all remember last spring, when excitement over the then-new K-3ii turned into turmoil because the camera lacked what I have always called the "point-sized on-board flash"; I would never use something like that, but apparently I am unique. I am guessing that the new FF will also lack an on-board flash. Pentax desperately needs a small (perhaps even smaller than the 201) flash which has master-slave capabilities. Since they need that anyway for their current products, they might as well put an EVF in place of the flash on the Q-S2 also.
01-26-2016, 08:12 AM   #135
Veteran Member

honestly?
OK:
I also like the idea of the EVF...but why the hell not place it under the hotshoe, leave the pop-up flash where it is and just design the body of the next Q a little bit like the (looking only on the form of the Body, and not the placement of the flash i found it very appealing. <i bought one for my son>
>> Pentax Optio i-10..?

and BTW:
a Viewfinder placed in the middle directly under the hotshoe, would make it look more like a professional camera that it is, or could be, instead a box of cigarettes...