Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2015, 10:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Signs of New Pentax Q Soon?

New Pentax Q coming sometime soon? I see there are a lot of the Pentax Q-S1 colors/variations listed as "closeout" status on Adorama. Many color options no longer available to order on B&H. Standard kits are either not in stock or special order of the black with one or two lenses at B&H. Perhaps sign of a new camera announcement? Not sure when the last one was announced and the past cycle for this camera....thoughts?

10-07-2015, 11:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Don't know what it exactly means, but the Q is certainly overdue for a tech update. And some new lenses would also be welcome...
10-07-2015, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's been 14 months, which would be a little past due for a new Q based on previous cycles. OTOH, DSLRs run around a year and a half, so maybe they are stretching the Q cycle out, or maybe it's taking longer because it should be more than a cosmetic change, or <insert wild speculation of your choice>...

See this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/305320-q-camera-line-dead.html

Last edited by THoog; 10-07-2015 at 11:46 AM.
10-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thread moved as it doesn't belong in News and Rumors.

10-07-2015, 03:05 PM   #5

Well, I just bought a Q-S1 and whenever I buy a new camera it's obsolete the next week, so I'm betting on a new version soon. It will be worth it, though, if they include an EVF option--think how great it would be to use legacy lenses through an EVF. Hope springs eternal.
10-07-2015, 03:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So a rumor about a new Pentax Q based on observations on two major photo seller sites doesn't belong on a rumor thread but speculations about a FF are ok. I guess I am confused on the rules here or is there a Q bias?
10-07-2015, 07:30 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pghwarrior23 Quote
So a rumor about a new Pentax Q based on observations on two major photo seller sites doesn't belong on a rumor thread but speculations about a FF are ok. I guess I am confused on the rules here or is there a Q bias?
Don't sweat it. All threads eventually devolve into a discussion of FF, at which time the Mods will restore this to its proper place in News and Rumors.

e.g. :: Rumor :: Q will re-emerge as a FF MILC, including an ingenious Speed-Booster type adapter with electronic contacts to keep Q mount lenses backward compatible, covering the entire 34x36 image circle.

10-07-2015, 09:11 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Don't sweat it. All threads eventually devolve into a discussion of FF, at which time the Mods will restore this to its proper place in News and Rumors.

e.g. :: Rumor :: Q will re-emerge as a FF MILC, including an ingenious Speed-Booster type adapter with electronic contacts to keep Q mount lenses backward compatible, covering the entire 34x36 image circle.
I suppose I could report the following rumor: "the FF is being delayed because Pentax will shortly release a camera known as the Q-F1 which will have all kinds of neat features, including an EVF; This affects the FF schedule because the FF will be a K-mount MILC, and they need to try out some of the new features (using the Q-F1) before the release the FF." I would love the first part to be true, but I can't even convince myself that it might be true.
10-08-2015, 01:20 AM   #9

Let's wait. Now people keep saying FF got delayed because of K3 ii callbacks, then Q got delayed because Ricoh is focusing on FF. Are they all linked? I don't know...we can just wait, and keep shooting
10-08-2015, 11:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I suppose that the various color options were not selling of the Q-S1 and so they were discontinued. But it seemed like it also might be a sign of something in the works. If they did announce something new, are there any upcoming photo events/conferences/shows where it might make sense to coincide with such an announcement? I think the one in NYC is in November.
10-09-2015, 06:50 AM   #11

A few weeks before the launch of the Q-S1, the Q7 with custom colors was no more available on Pentax shop. Maybe it's a sign
10-09-2015, 11:08 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pghwarrior23 Quote
I suppose that the various color options were not selling of the Q-S1 and so they were discontinued. But it seemed like it also might be a sign of something in the works. If they did announce something new, are there any upcoming photo events/conferences/shows where it might make sense to coincide with such an announcement? I think the one in NYC is in November.
Announcing a new member of the Q-family in NYC would be an interesting move, since the primary Q market is known to be in Japan - it might mean that they really would like it be a stronger competitor out here.
10-30-2015, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #13

Now photo plus expo is closed and I don't see any annouce from Ricoh nor for the Q system ( I was about to say Q continuum ^^) I guess the annouce was the fortuitous exposed FF pre-production body
It would be very cleaver from Ricoh to drag out the Q system and add a EVF to test for a MILC with a bigger sensor to prepare the future because it seens to be the current trend may be ?
10-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
some people may like a bigger sensor... but if pentax wants to stay with the Q system (i believe they wil, at least in asia it sales excellent, and i also believe sales are not that bad in the western world... many people just buy over the internet today... ) ,
they will top out at 1/1.6 or so... i just dont know if all the q lenses would lit an 1" sensor... if they would. nah. i just took a look... you can do it by yourself. ... you are an intelligent person...you will find out how. the maximum diameter of the image circle may be app. somewhere around 16mm that would be the surface a 1/1.6" sensor exhausts...

we maybe could go as high as 15mp without hurting image quality and the high iso swag.
The officials said something about an EVF in an interview not long ago. But I am pretty sure, we will have to wait until 2016/2017 Photokina2016 or CP+2017 it will be i guess...
CP+2016 is reserved for the Pentax FF i guess... *tearsofjoy*
10-30-2015, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #15

Yes but I was not totally clear what I meant is to pursue the Q system and adding an EVF could be very profitable for the knowledge about EVF and with the succes of the Q system and the long time experience on DSLR they would be able to developpe a new line of product a third one
It is pure speculation and if it is not the place I apologize for that but what I really want to see is a possible EVF on the Q .
I agree with your vision about the next Q announcement and for now it is FF time ... it remind me an old song my grand pa told me ... it was : "full frame time! full frame time! full frame all the way! ^^ muwahaahahaha