Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2015, 02:52 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New favorite adapted Q lens - Cine-Ektar 25mm f/1.9

Just finished CLAing a Kodak Cine-Ektar 25mm f/1.9 (original S mount version, with C mount adapter) and tried it out on a friend's Q7 using it with the C to Q adapter. And wow, was I impressed. I'm a big fan of using Kern Bolex lenses on the Q, but this one might have them all beat. The instant I put it on the camera, I could tell, even from the view screen that it was going to be special.

Pros for this lens:
- Great "3-D" pop
- superb build quality
- sharp wide open. Tack sharp by f/2.8
- no vignetting on the Q7
- Close focusing down to about 10"
- 8 aperture blades
- clickless aperture good for film mode

Cons:
- uncoated so contrast can be a little low in bright scenes (EDIT: I missed the "Lumenized" circle L logo indicating this lens is actually single coated)
- some very light chromatic aberrations, but no purple fringing that I can see!
- softens up a bit toward the corners

Last edited by dcshooter; 10-15-2015 at 07:24 AM.
10-15-2015, 12:05 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

nice shots, looks like a very capable lens.
10-15-2015, 11:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice
10-18-2015, 04:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Just finished CLAing a Kodak Cine-Ektar 25mm f/1.9 (original S mount version, with C mount adapter) and tried it out on a friend's Q7 using it with the C to Q adapter. And wow, was I impressed. I'm a big fan of using Kern Bolex lenses on the Q, but this one might have them all beat. The instant I put it on the camera, I could tell, even from the view screen that it was going to be special.

Pros for this lens:
- Great "3-D" pop
- superb build quality
- sharp wide open. Tack sharp by f/2.8
- no vignetting on the Q7
- Close focusing down to about 10"
- 8 aperture blades
- clickless aperture good for film mode

Cons:
- uncoated so contrast can be a little low in bright scenes (EDIT: I missed the "Lumenized" circle L logo indicating this lens is actually single coated)
- some very light chromatic aberrations, but no purple fringing that I can see!
- softens up a bit toward the corners
How does a lens like this compare in price to a Kern Bolex?
Am I correct in thinking that both are fairly rare these days?

10-18-2015, 08:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It really depends on the lens you are comparing it to. I've seen some of the Ker Switars running into the multiple hundreds of dollars, since they are very popular among the BMPCC/Digital Bolex crowd. The Yvars/etc. tend to run for significantly less. You can also get good deals on the Kern ones by modding a C adapter and looking for RX versions, which have a nonstandard flange focal distance and therefore aren't as popular among modern adapted lens users.

I acquired this lens, along with the C mount adapter and a couple of Wollensaks, attached to a B+H 16mm cinema cam I bought at auction, so I got it for a very good price, although I did need to CLA it to make it useable. Checking eBay, it looks like the S mount version (for which you'd need to find the S to C mount adapter as well) is running about $100-$125. Version II of the lens, which is native C mount looks like it goes for somewhat more ($150-$200). I don't know whether the two are optically identical or not.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
How does a lens like this compare in price to a Kern Bolex?
Am I correct in thinking that both are fairly rare these days?
11-09-2015, 06:56 PM   #6

chinese are already making replicas of the c to s-mount adapters on ebay =O.... theres also an original kodak d mount adapters. i got one from ebay just because i knew what i was lookin for. (sometimes labeled as kodak m adapter__which is kodak magazine camera mount) but the magazine adapters have a metal tab attached to the base of the lens flange mount which attaches to the camera. alot of times there will be a sale for a "kodak magazine lens" which is really a s-mount lens with kodak m adapter on it...

theres 3 different types of lenses anastigmat, ektar, ektanon. its hard to say which ones are coated more or less like OP said they are labeled as "luminized"

i have seen a som berthiot pan cinor kodak s-mount zoom and elgeet mini-tel, navatar, cinematars in kodak s-mount.

theres multiple focal lengths 15mm, 25mm, 50mm, 63mm, 102mm, 152mm

Last edited by xerxal; 11-09-2015 at 07:16 PM.
11-17-2015, 10:34 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
Any pictures of the lens itself?
11-17-2015, 11:56 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This isn't a pic of mine (just one I grabbed from the web), but this is the model:

Last edited by dcshooter; 12-19-2015 at 03:27 PM.
12-19-2015, 03:06 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
It really depends on the lens you are comparing it to. I've seen some of the Ker Switars running into the multiple hundreds of dollars, since they are very popular among the BMPCC/Digital Bolex crowd. The Yvars/etc. tend to run for significantly less. You can also get good deals on the Kern ones by modding a C adapter and looking for RX versions, which have a nonstandard flange focal distance and therefore aren't as popular among modern adapted lens users.

I acquired this lens, along with the C mount adapter and a couple of Wollensaks, attached to a B+H 16mm cinema cam I bought at auction, so I got it for a very good price, although I did need to CLA it to make it useable. Checking eBay, it looks like the S mount version (for which you'd need to find the S to C mount adapter as well) is running about $100-$125. Version II of the lens, which is native C mount looks like it goes for somewhat more ($150-$200). I don't know whether the two are optically identical or not.
In re-reading this response I realized I've repeatedly jumped over the "CLA" part.
This is the place where I display my ignorance.
What does "CLA" mean?
12-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Clean, Lube, Adjust
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In re-reading this response I realized I've repeatedly jumped over the "CLA" part.
This is the place where I display my ignorance.
What does "CLA" mean?
12-19-2015, 03:51 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Search 'CLA lens' - caution: can become more anoyig than LBA.