Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2015, 02:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Pentax in Asia

I was flying back to Canada through Taipei, Taiwan on a recent trip and had a layover at the airport. There were several electronic stores at the airport that carried camera equipment, including Pentax. The stores had the K50 kit, QS1 and XG1. The price of the K50 kit was about US $650 so certainly it was not a deal. It was good to see Pentax represented there as in other countries it doesn't seem to be. At least in Asia the Q line is still going? It never really took off in N America.
Dale

10-18-2015, 06:48 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Pentax has a big problem in Hong Kong. The distributor is not making any activity nor services to us. The major stores are not selling Pentax any more and I have to order my gears from overseas! I hope Pentax would address to it and taking care of the Pentax users in Hong Kong.
10-18-2015, 07:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax is mainly a Japan only company.
Its in every store in Japan.

In Taiwan, its not too bad, though I suspect being a former Japanese colony and very Japanese influenced culturally makes Taiwan more open to Japanese market and trends.

In M'sia, Singapore, Pentax presence is low.
In Singapore in particular, its pretty bad now with low distributor activity and non-engagement with the user base.
(They also distribute Sigma, so I an imagine where the main interest is)
10-18-2015, 11:19 PM   #4

There's only one shop in Dubai that sells Pentax, and the Q doesn't exist here at all...

10-19-2015, 02:26 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks for the insight from other countries. If this is the case Pentax is likely in trouble and will have a hard time to grow the brand.
10-19-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
thanks for the insight from other countries. If this is the case Pentax is likely in trouble and will have a hard time to grow the brand.
As I have mentioned in numerous threads, while I have been a Pentax user since the early 1970's, Pentax has never, and I mean NEVER, made any indication that they want to "grow the brand". If they have that effort has not been noticed and their market share continues to shrink. As I have said, with their marketing strategy they would have a hard time selling ice in the desert.

Based on the lack of success with their previous camera endeavors in the 1970's, I'm less optimistic about their new “parent” company which were affectionately known as "Roach" back in the 1970's doing any better with the Pentax brand. I would like to be proven wrong but previous history might be a good indication of future performance.
10-19-2015, 10:38 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
I don't really read it that way.

Its more like an inward looking (ie. Jap market only) company.
Whatever it sells outside of Japan, its extra.

We are never the target market, we just like the cameras enough to end up being dragged along with it.
10-19-2015, 11:08 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
We are never the target market, we just like the cameras enough to end up being dragged along with it.
I agree with that.