Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2015, 03:01 PM   #1
Forum Member

Q7 in the Philippines

This post is inspired by 6BQ5's post when he took his own Q7 setup on a trip. About a year ago I managed to snag a Q7 limited edition bundle that came with the 01, 02, 06 and 08 for 850 CAD. I only do photography as a hobby but do not like the gear hunting aspect of it. The Q7 presented a solution by not having any other lenses to buy yet also giving me really good coverage with the 4 lenses I have.

I'd like to post my thoughts and experiences in using the Q7 on a month long trip to the Philippines. Most of the photos here are from the vacation spots of Cebu and Boracay.

The above picture was shot with the 01. Cebu is popular for a dish called lechon AKA Pig roast.

Shot with the 08. Cebu Taoist Temple. Before this trip started I had my mind set to using the 01 as my primary walk around lens but to my surprise I ended up using the 08 on 90% of the shots.

08. Prayer candles. 82.9% of Filipinos are catholic.

08. I had to try and fix this image as the 08 is very susceptible to flaring. One of the bigger advantages of the Q compared to other systems is its size, with the 08 attached I found that shooting from the hip was relatively easy.

Or sometimes you can just ask people if you can take their photo. This guy was selling guitars on the side walk, he had the black tarp over the guitars as it was raining.

01 .Just a dog chillin on the beach.

You can see that I tried to correct the lens flare on the upper left part of the image.

Hand painted T-shirts.

Fire dancing. At low light situations I tried to keep the iso at 800 and using only iso 1600 as a last ditch effort. The Q's IS has come in handy a few times.

At the fish market.

View from a restaurant.

What surprised me the most about this trip was that I rarely used the 06(maybe once) and the 02, I brought the 02 along as a back up walk around but never used it. I liked the Q7 for the compactness and the ability to bring my whole setup everywhere but I learned that there are other factors that can affect your shooting ability other than the camera. My girlfriend was with me most of the time and so I wasn't in photographer mode the whole time, if I were going solo I would probably have used the 06 a lot more.

The Q7 and the lenses held up pretty well. Although I had a scare at one point when I couldn't turn the Q7 on at all, and then I realized that if you have the SD card door open it will refuse to turn on.

Thanks for looking at the images, I still love the Q7 and by taking it to a trip with me I have learned to use it better.

Last edited by someone902; 10-18-2015 at 04:17 PM.
10-18-2015, 03:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for sharing! I like your shots. Nice composition.

Also I'm pleasantly surprised with the IQ the Q7 combination is delivering. Sufficiently narrow DOF for close shots too.

BTW: Personally I find it hard to view on the web page due to size of images - I think its possible to post as reduced size with clickable full size (I'm sure someone will pipe chip in on this).
10-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Thanks for sharing! I like your shots. Nice composition.

Also I'm pleasantly surprised with the IQ the Q7 combination is delivering. Sufficiently narrow DOF for close shots too.

BTW: Personally I find it hard to view on the web page due to size of images - I think its possible to post as reduced size with clickable full size (I'm sure someone will pipe chip in on this).
Thanks for the tip. I've tried to fix the photos showing up too big. Im not familiar with posting photos on forums.
10-18-2015, 04:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The lechon looks yummy. My favorite.

10-18-2015, 04:46 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sage97 Quote
The lechon looks yummy. My favorite.
Indeed it was, only tried it at one spot though. Can't have lechon everyday.
10-18-2015, 05:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

You'd need Lipitor if you do.
10-18-2015, 10:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Good work on the photos! I'm glad I could offer a little bit of inspiration.

I recently picked up an 08 lens and I almost can't wait to travel somewhere just to take it with me. The Q kit with these four lenses is perfect. Light, sharp, and great IQ. As I always say, the biggest limitation is the sensor itself. The lenses easily out-resolve it.
10-19-2015, 04:24 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Good work on the photos! I'm glad I could offer a little bit of inspiration.

I recently picked up an 08 lens and I almost can't wait to travel somewhere just to take it with me. The Q kit with these four lenses is perfect. Light, sharp, and great IQ. As I always say, the biggest limitation is the sensor itself. The lenses easily out-resolve it.

Thanks! The 08 is great for landscapes but it's also great for quick street shooting. It's wide enough to put everything in frame and with it's wide field of view its great for one hand operation. I can zoom in and out and set the aperture with one hand while also shooting from the hip.

10-19-2015, 09:23 AM   #9

I also found I mostly use the 08 one I got it. I also found I hardly use the 06.
What a strange coincidence....
J
10-19-2015, 12:05 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
I also found I mostly use the 08 one I got it. I also found I hardly use the 06.
What a strange coincidence....
J
One of the factors that kept me from using the 06 was that I was always on the move and didn't have time to switch lenses as much as I wanted to. Didn't want to bother my GF while on vacation.

I could have used the 02 as my walk around lens but I was not really impressed with the IQ and the 08 makes the Q even more compact and the one hand operation works better on the 08.

I think if I travelled alone, I would have used the 06 more. I am planning to get another Q7 body so I can rock dual bodies.