Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2015, 05:48 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Q7 vs Q10: Responsiveness

Hello fellow enQsiasts!

I'm generally happy with my Q10. I understand what it is and what it is not. It's a flexible interchangeable lens system camera, not a jeans-pocket cam like a GR or a cell phone. It costs a few hundred dollars, not a few thousand. So, while I would like to see the system continue and expand, I'm not asking for major hardware upgrades.

The way I use it, there are only a few changes I can reasonably ask for:
  • a small top plate power indicator light
  • snap focus a la the GR
  • quicker shot to shot performance

In my experience, the first thing that differentiates a "serious" camera from a "non-serious" one is the responsiveness. If I'm frustrated at every turn by waiting for the camera to respond, it's a major obstacle. The camera needs to get out of the way and allow me to shoot.

With my Q10 I often throw on an optical VF, turn off the status screen to save battery, and shoot spontaneously as I go. It's a great street setup, and would be even better with a few modest changes, in my book. I set the sleep time to 5 minutes or whatever, but I wish I could look down and confirm that the camera is still on. I would absolutely LOVE snap focus on the Q--very surprised they haven't implemented that, to be honest.

Okay, finally to my question: I know the Q7 has the increased sensor size and a few other goodies, but does it feel more responsive in everyday use than the Q/Q10? I'm mainly talking shot to shot times, startup, shutter lag, etc, and less about AF. I'm satisfied with my Q10's AF. I've read some reviews and it appears there was some improvement...I just would like to hear subjective opinions from anyone who has used both.

10-20-2015, 08:58 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They're really about the same. I think all the Q cameras have the same CPU hardware, which is in need of an update.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-20-2015, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
“Snap Focus” is quite similar to what has been called zone focusing for decades. Just set your Q10 to manual focus for a certain distance.Set the aperture to f5.6 or there abouts, depending on what lens you are using, and you have much the same as their fancy “snap focus”. The larger aperture openings such as f2.8 - 4.0 are not commonly used for street photography as they do not produce sufficient depth of field. In larger format cameras street shooters use f8.0 - f11. If you are serious about that type of photography there are some good WEB sites on the Internet that explain in detail about applying the concept of zone focusing to street photography.
http://digital-photography-school.com/ultimate-guide-to-zone-focusing-for-candid-street-photography/
http://www.streethunters.net/blog/2014/09/03/learn-zone-focusing-hyperfocal-distance-street-photography/

By the way, there are many more expensive cameras that have much slower wake up times then your Q10 and when using it for a street shoot I would shut off the automatic sleep feature and leave it constantly in the on mode.
10-21-2015, 04:35 AM   #4
Forum Member

During the time I was researching about the differences between the Q7 and the Q/Q10. I stumbled upon a video of a guy comparing both cameras and talking about the difference on responsiveness between the 2. I will try to find the video on youtube and get back to you.

10-21-2015, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Yeah. The Q series is hopeless for live action.

10-21-2015, 05:19 AM   #6
Forum Member

I like those articles on Zone Focusing. Now I have to figure out how to turn off autofocus.

Last edited by paulcote; 10-21-2015 at 05:22 AM. Reason: forgot
10-21-2015, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Q7 is substantially faster and more responsive than the original Q. I noticed the difference from the instant I turned on the camera to when I pressed Play to review my image on the LCD.

Upgrading to the Q7 or Q-S1 is well worth the money.
10-21-2015, 05:49 AM   #8
Forum Member

Boris, maybe it is psychological. Are you sure?

10-21-2015, 12:50 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
the Q7 and Q10 are very close in speed
10-21-2015, 01:48 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you all for your input.
10-21-2015, 06:48 PM   #11
kwb
Site Supporter

I don't have any first-hand experience, but this very forum did a comparison test of Q7 VS Q: Pentax Q7 Review - Performance | PentaxForums.com Reviews
There seems to be some differences that are not totally negligible.

I don't know if the latest firmwares (as of now) were available at the time of the test, though. If they were not, the test results might be somewhat different with the latest ones.
10-21-2015, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Yeah. The Q series is hopeless for live action.
Nice, but are you sure that the guys in the first two shots are actually alive and not zombies?
10-21-2015, 08:46 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Nice, but are you sure that the guys in the first two shots are actually alive and not zombies?
They go alright for septugenarians
10-23-2015, 06:26 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
The Q7 is substantially faster and more responsive than the original Q. I noticed the difference from the instant I turned on the camera to when I pressed Play to review my image on the LCD.

Upgrading to the Q7 or Q-S1 is well worth the money.
+1

However it's just as slow when saving to the SD card.