Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2015, 09:30 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Turn the LCD into an EVF

One of the biggest complaints about the Q has been a lack of EVF.This morning I was comparing my Q7 to my GM-5 and I had a idea. What if Pentax did a software upgrade that allowed you to use the LCD as an EVF? In a manner similar to the way the screen zooms in when using the focusing ring, maybe a viewfinder screen could pop up say in the upper left hand corner of the LCD, and include an diopter adjustment to suit your eye. It could act like a EVF in one of the rangefinder cameras. The majority of the screen would be dark except for the portion representing the EVF. No hardware changes would be required to implement this feature as it would all be done in software and it might be backward compatible for all of the Q series. Yes, It might not be exactly as efficient in blocking out the ambient light as a dedicated EVF but it might satisfy some of the users and maybe someone would come out with a rubber boot to put over that corner of the screen to isolate the area used by the EVF portion of the LCD.

10-26-2015, 10:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Hi Denny,

This is an interesting idea, but would probably need an ultra high res LCD to be of any practical use, and the Q series cameras have pretty low res LCDs compared to what's available in other camera models. A really low res EVF as you propose might be enough for framing, but I think it would be relatively useless for MF with adapted lenses, where a true EVF would really make a difference.

Scott
10-26-2015, 11:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hand holding a camera out to where one might contemplate the rear LCD screen is inherently unsteady without a tripod.

Arms in and face steadied . . .
10-26-2015, 11:35 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The small patch of LCD would be very low resolution compared to an EVF and the lack of shading around it is what makes the LCD hard to use. The LCD lupe attachments that allow the use of the rear LCD as an EVF already exist and have seen some successful use.

10-26-2015, 12:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The question I want to ask Pentax is; why not bring out a Q with built in EVF, dump the built in flash and provide a tiny clip on one as part of the kit - the hot shoe is already there.

I am very happy with the K-3ii and carry a AF201FG WR in my bag just in case I need to use a flash (seldom do).

I have a Q with clip on OVF which is not very good and no use with anything except the standard prime (01) lens. Being someone who uses reading glasses, I find the rear screen difficult to use and unusable in bright sunlight.

Other than that, I really do like the Q, it is a lovely little camera. The same argument applies to the K-01 (already a hard to find classic), would really like a new version (based on K-3) with built in viewfinder.

Maybe something to work on after the FF is released.
10-30-2015, 05:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The small patch of LCD would be very low resolution compared to an EVF and the lack of shading around it is what makes the LCD hard to use. The LCD lupe attachments that allow the use of the rear LCD as an EVF already exist and have seen some successful use.
In addition, I have a hard time holding a camera an exact distance from my eye; a real viewfinder, or my Hoodman, helps me by giving something to rest against my face (and thus stabilizing the camera). They also provide a lens to help put something that close into focus.