Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2015, 07:33 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Seems correct. A quick look at at some of the older pre p-TTL models before the master/slave thing came up:

Ones that zoom: 240Z, 330FTZ, 400FTZ, 500FTZ

Non-zooming: 220T, 280T, 400T, 260SA, 200T, 200SA, 200S

Though some of the non-zooming ones have clip on adapters for a wider angle coverage, the ones with the "Z" designation have built in zoom heads.
Getting back to the original topic, when I saw the comment
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
AF201FG. Small, ideal for fill, but does not have the Z function.
I agreed, because the discussions following release of the K-3ii convinced me that while the AF201FG is smaller and more convenient than the AF200FG, Pentax needs a flash which provides master/slave capability, and of the currently-produced Pentax flashes, only the AGZ ones do that. Maybe I was drawing the wrong conclusion based on Pentax history, but that is what I was seeing based on the current line. At the time the K-3ii came out, I was expecting that it was pioneering features that would eventually show up on the FF; nothing has happened since then to change my mind.

And I continue to believe that Pentax needs a new flash, however it is designated, that is the size of the AF201FG, or smaller, that provides master/slave capability. I would be a natural for a Q, and it would be inconspicuous in the camera bag of those who don't want to dedicate a lot of camera bag space for a flash, but want master/slave capability even if their camera doesn't do that trick.

10-30-2015, 08:07 AM   #17
Pentaxian

100 percent agree with all of that! Any small convenient flash that's intended to be used in place of a built-in really needs to have all the functioning of a built-in, at the least! I'm not sure if it was about size and space limitations, or they wanted to keep the price down ... ? But either way, I feel the AF201, as it was released around the same time as the first DSLR WITHOUT a built -in flash, lost an opportunity there, as well as more sales.

It's not to ignore the positives about it ... There are plenty of happy owners ... But often people come to discover wireless flash a bit later down the line, and I think some will feel disappointed when they realise they need to buy more equipment.
10-30-2015, 09:04 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

While I agree that an optical trigger small flash that can act as master/controller for P-TTL would be nice - I also think an opportunity exists for the AF360FGZIII and AF540FGZIII to come out with wifi support for triggering and a firmware update for the KS-2 and to have this included in the new K-1 (assuming that's what it is). An add-on wifi based wireless trigger could be offered for the K3-II that has passthrough hot shoe so an on camera flash can be attached if desired. These new flashes would of course keep the existing optical triggering options and be able to daisy chain trigger future flashes without optical triggers.

Just my 2 cents...
10-30-2015, 02:19 PM   #19
Site Supporter

I have the AF540FGZI and a Metz 54MZ-4 with the adapter for P-TTL (SCA 3702 M3). For me, the Metz works far better than the 540 and is a little smaller. It's been a while since I've used it,. if I remember right, the Metz had more functionality.

10-30-2015, 08:15 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
While I agree that an optical trigger small flash that can act as master/controller for P-TTL would be nice - I also think an opportunity exists for the AF360FGZIII and AF540FGZIII to come out with wifi support for triggering and a firmware update for the KS-2 and to have this included in the new K-1 (assuming that's what it is). An add-on wifi based wireless trigger could be offered for the K3-II that has passthrough hot shoe so an on camera flash can be attached if desired. These new flashes would of course keep the existing optical triggering options and be able to daisy chain trigger future flashes without optical triggers.

Just my 2 cents...
Until the extended discussions when the K-3ii was released, I hadn't realized that Pentax "wireless" is entirely optical in nature. I would love for them to come out with some kind of RF-based system, but I'm not sure how practical that would be since, in addition to having to provide the master end at the camera, they would have to persuade a bunch of users to replace perfectly-OK flashes for the newer ones that can serve as RF slaves.
10-30-2015, 08:45 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Until the extended discussions when the K-3ii was released, I hadn't realized that Pentax "wireless" is entirely optical in nature. I would love for them to come out with some kind of RF-based system, but I'm not sure how practical that would be since, in addition to having to provide the master end at the camera, they would have to persuade a bunch of users to replace perfectly-OK flashes for the newer ones that can serve as RF slaves.
That's why I suggested the crossover units that would do both and I may have forgotten to mention that I assumed some rf only add on adapters for existing units.
11-01-2015, 01:33 AM   #22
Pentaxian

It would be great to see Pentax develop the proprietary flash system, and give some radio triggering and grouping feature, with, as you said uncle, receiver adaptors for existing flashes. It must be clear enough around here that I'm firmly in the ' dedicated' system flash camp ...I value the huge versatility of dedicated flash units and the small wireless system I run.... One minute my flash is giving my easy HSS pics in bright light outdoors, the next it's off the camera providing instant wireless P-TTL exposures bounced off a roof high on a stand, useful because the subject is moving around, and I get instant exposure control from the camera flash compensation control.

I can't get that versatility from Yongnuo or Neewer .... But one area when the optical wireless system limits me is outdoors. I am restricted in the distance over which I can trigger a wireless flash in bright light ....I can use some trickery like having one flash in control mode and point the head straight at the optical sensor on the other flash, but not if I want light from the on -camera flash to light the subject as well.

So, to have the extra flexibility of an internal radio trigger system ... That would be amazing! A transmitter in the camera with group exposure controls via the LCD, and a couple of new flash units with added radio receivers, plus a small adaptor for existing flashes that could send power output information from the P-TTL exposure system .... Well, does it sound like I'm dreaming?
11-02-2015, 07:01 AM   #23
Forum Member

since the TO is new to using flashes, he should learn about it.
This will not happen when using the most modern state of the art flash systems that are described here.

Take some older flash with a sensor and a stand (like many of the older Metz flashes). Use the internal flash for main flash and triggering the bigger, more powerful flash aside, depending on your wants and needs.
I'm still using them this way.
In automatic mode they are performing really good!
You have to pay attention on the settings though (ISO, aperture, time).

I'm also using bigger flashes like Metz 50 MZ-5 where you have only a small interface on the hot shoe of the Q and the flash itself aside. Looks ridiculous but is the most powerful solution.
The small flashes mentioned above are simply not powerful enough for any longer distances!

11-03-2015, 04:00 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Metz 26 AF-1 looks sweet... i heard that they get delivered now.

Metz had some problems with deliveries because the company had financial problems and got bought by some other company...
11-03-2015, 06:09 PM   #25
Lens Buying Addict

For those advocating the 360 / 540 (which are good suggestions) remember the OP is using a Q7 which is 1/3 the size of the flash.
11-15-2015, 05:10 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
For those advocating the 360 / 540 (which are good suggestions) remember the OP is using a Q7 which is 1/3 the size of the flash.
I have a Vivitar "auto" flash (it looks like a 550FD, but is missing its front-plate) which I used twenty-five years ago with my Super Program. It works fine with my modern Pentax cameras (yes, I did measure the voltage to make sure it's safe with modern cameras), and it's only equal to the Q-7 in size so it doesn't dwarf the camera, but making small items seems to be a lost art despite more modern technology.