Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2015, 07:43 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax Q7 and external flash?

Just want to ask if people here have used external flash guns with their Q system? I am thinking of buying one for added versatility and was wondering if there are preferred flash models/manufacturers to use with the Q7? thanks.

10-27-2015, 07:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF201FG. Small, ideal for fill, but does not have the Z function.
10-27-2015, 08:00 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sure, I've used any of my flashes on my Q7. I have the AF540II, the AF360, and the AF200. All work just fine. Practically speaking the smaller AF200 would be my go to flash for my Q-system. I can't speak to other brands but the Q7 can accept any flash that the K system can.
10-27-2015, 08:30 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
AF201FG. Small, ideal for fill, but does not have the Z function.
I am actually looking into this particular model. Do you own it? what is the Z function?

10-27-2015, 10:00 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by someone902 Quote
I am actually looking into this particular model. Do you own it? what is the Z function?
I assume zoom? The higher end pentax flashes all zoom their heads to match the lens focal length to maximize light.

---------- Post added 10-27-15 at 01:05 PM ----------

Loads of options. How small are you looking for? Something like an older autothyrister model that uses 2AA's might work better than the current crop of flashes available depending on the desired outcome.
10-27-2015, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I use Elinchrom lights.....

but for something smaller, what about a Metz? something like this: Metz Flash Canada TTL Flash for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Four Thirds - mecablitz 26 AF-1 digital - Pentax -
10-27-2015, 11:34 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wireless Master/Slave for off-camera slave flashes. It can't be the Master flash.

2 AAA batteries. Very small.

10-27-2015, 11:59 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Wireless Master/Slave for off-camera slave flashes. It can't be the Master flash.

2 AAA batteries. Very small.
I am sorry if I am being a bother. Why can't it be use as a master flash?

---------- Post added 10-27-15 at 12:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I assume zoom? The higher end pentax flashes all zoom their heads to match the lens focal length to maximize light.

---------- Post added 10-27-15 at 01:05 PM ----------

Loads of options. How small are you looking for? Something like an older autothyrister model that uses 2AA's might work better than the current crop of flashes available depending on the desired outcome.
I am looking for a compact one that can support TTL as I am super new to the flash photography game.
10-27-2015, 02:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It just doesn't have that functioning. The built-in units on most of the DSLRs can act as trigger for slave flashes using the P-TTL optical communication system, and can be set to function as 'master' or ' control' when triggering. This is a great bonus really, quick and easy. But on accessory flashes it' tends to be restricted to the higher end models. This little AF201 does not offer that functioning, disappointingly. It was certainly something that users of a K3II might have looked forward to, and no doubt would have boosted sales of it as well.

Bye the way, I have never heard your term for the 'master' / ' control' option ...."Z function" ..... Do you know where it comes from?
10-27-2015, 05:46 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
It just doesn't have that functioning. The built-in units on most of the DSLRs can act as trigger for slave flashes using the P-TTL optical communication system, and can be set to function as 'master' or ' control' when triggering. This is a great bonus really, quick and easy. But on accessory flashes it' tends to be restricted to the higher end models. This little AF201 does not offer that functioning, disappointingly. It was certainly something that users of a K3II might have looked forward to, and no doubt would have boosted sales of it as well.

Bye the way, I have never heard your term for the 'master' / ' control' option ...."Z function" ..... Do you know where it comes from?
I did not intend to call it that. Someone else mentioned it but I thought they meant zoom.
10-27-2015, 07:17 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Pentax currently sells five flash units,

AF200FG
AF201FG
AF360FGZ
AF360FGZ II
AF540FGZ II

Only the last three listed can perform Pentax's "wireless" master/slave functionality.
Those three also are the only ones with the designation "FGZ" after the numeric portion of the model designation.
Thus, my understanding is that having a "Z" after the "FG" in the model designation denotes those flashes which can perform as a master or slave,
and I was expecting that was meant by "Z function".

note: several of us have suggested that Pentax needs an AF202FGZ;
that is, a flash which can perform as master/slave, but is small enough to be comfortable with a member of the Q family.

Last edited by reh321; 10-27-2015 at 07:19 PM. Reason: added note
10-28-2015, 05:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

As I understand it, the 'Z' in the designation indicates a zooming flash head. I don't think there is any designation that specifies a wireless triggering capability.
10-28-2015, 07:10 PM   #13
Pentaxian

As I understand it, the 'Z' in the designation indicates a zooming flash head. I don't think there is any designation that specifies a wireless triggering capability.
In what way do you disagree with my comment that immediately precedes yours??
10-29-2015, 03:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

You said that your understanding was that the 'Z' in the designation, after 'FG' was for flashes that offered the 'master' or 'control' triggering option. I was just offering up my belief, which really comes from reading other sources such as bdimitrov, that it actually refers to the zooming feature. Of course, in reality, we may find that the zooming flashes, simply by being the more sophisticated type also offer the triggering options as well.

There doesn't seem to be any specific indications of the triggering abilities on Pentax flashes, which I guess is why there has been much speculation around the AF201.
10-29-2015, 05:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seems correct. A quick look at at some of the older pre p-TTL models before the master/slave thing came up:

Ones that zoom: 240Z, 330FTZ, 400FTZ, 500FTZ

Non-zooming: 220T, 280T, 400T, 260SA, 200T, 200SA, 200S

Though some of the non-zooming ones have clip on adapters for a wider angle coverage, the ones with the "Z" designation have built in zoom heads.