Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2015, 07:43 AM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 75
Pentax Q7 and external flash?

Just want to ask if people here have used external flash guns with their Q system? I am thinking of buying one for added versatility and was wondering if there are preferred flash models/manufacturers to use with the Q7? thanks.

10-27-2015, 07:57 AM   #2
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,462
AF201FG. Small, ideal for fill, but does not have the Z function.
10-27-2015, 08:00 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
blackcloudbrew's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cotati, California USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,782
Sure, I've used any of my flashes on my Q7. I have the AF540II, the AF360, and the AF200. All work just fine. Practically speaking the smaller AF200 would be my go to flash for my Q-system. I can't speak to other brands but the Q7 can accept any flash that the K system can.
10-27-2015, 08:30 AM   #4
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 75
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
AF201FG. Small, ideal for fill, but does not have the Z function.
I am actually looking into this particular model. Do you own it? what is the Z function?

10-27-2015, 10:00 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,501
QuoteOriginally posted by someone902 Quote
I am actually looking into this particular model. Do you own it? what is the Z function?
I assume zoom? The higher end pentax flashes all zoom their heads to match the lens focal length to maximize light.

---------- Post added 10-27-15 at 01:05 PM ----------

Loads of options. How small are you looking for? Something like an older autothyrister model that uses 2AA's might work better than the current crop of flashes available depending on the desired outcome.
10-27-2015, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian
Wired's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,494


I use Elinchrom lights.....

but for something smaller, what about a Metz? something like this: Metz Flash Canada TTL Flash for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Four Thirds - mecablitz 26 AF-1 digital - Pentax -
10-27-2015, 11:34 AM   #7
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,462
QuoteOriginally posted by someone902 Quote
I am actually looking into this particular model. Do you own it? what is the Z function?
Wireless Master/Slave for off-camera slave flashes. It can't be the Master flash.

2 AAA batteries. Very small.
10-27-2015, 11:59 AM   #8
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 75
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Wireless Master/Slave for off-camera slave flashes. It can't be the Master flash.

2 AAA batteries. Very small.
I am sorry if I am being a bother. Why can't it be use as a master flash?

---------- Post added 10-27-15 at 12:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I assume zoom? The higher end pentax flashes all zoom their heads to match the lens focal length to maximize light.

---------- Post added 10-27-15 at 01:05 PM ----------

Loads of options. How small are you looking for? Something like an older autothyrister model that uses 2AA's might work better than the current crop of flashes available depending on the desired outcome.
I am looking for a compact one that can support TTL as I am super new to the flash photography game.

10-27-2015, 02:19 PM   #9
Pentaxian
mcgregni's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 1,498
It just doesn't have that functioning. The built-in units on most of the DSLRs can act as trigger for slave flashes using the P-TTL optical communication system, and can be set to function as 'master' or ' control' when triggering. This is a great bonus really, quick and easy. But on accessory flashes it' tends to be restricted to the higher end models. This little AF201 does not offer that functioning, disappointingly. It was certainly something that users of a K3II might have looked forward to, and no doubt would have boosted sales of it as well.

Bye the way, I have never heard your term for the 'master' / ' control' option ...."Z function" ..... Do you know where it comes from?
10-27-2015, 05:46 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,501
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
It just doesn't have that functioning. The built-in units on most of the DSLRs can act as trigger for slave flashes using the P-TTL optical communication system, and can be set to function as 'master' or ' control' when triggering. This is a great bonus really, quick and easy. But on accessory flashes it' tends to be restricted to the higher end models. This little AF201 does not offer that functioning, disappointingly. It was certainly something that users of a K3II might have looked forward to, and no doubt would have boosted sales of it as well.

Bye the way, I have never heard your term for the 'master' / ' control' option ...."Z function" ..... Do you know where it comes from?
I did not intend to call it that. Someone else mentioned it but I thought they meant zoom.
10-27-2015, 07:17 PM   #11
Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,728
QuoteOriginally posted by someone902 Quote
I am actually looking into this particular model. Do you own it? what is the Z function?
Pentax currently sells five flash units,

AF200FG
AF201FG
AF360FGZ
AF360FGZ II
AF540FGZ II

Only the last three listed can perform Pentax's "wireless" master/slave functionality.
Those three also are the only ones with the designation "FGZ" after the numeric portion of the model designation.
Thus, my understanding is that having a "Z" after the "FG" in the model designation denotes those flashes which can perform as a master or slave,
and I was expecting that was meant by "Z function".

note: several of us have suggested that Pentax needs an AF202FGZ;
that is, a flash which can perform as master/slave, but is small enough to be comfortable with a member of the Q family.

Last edited by reh321; 10-27-2015 at 07:19 PM. Reason: added note
10-28-2015, 05:27 AM   #12
Pentaxian
mcgregni's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 1,498
As I understand it, the 'Z' in the designation indicates a zooming flash head. I don't think there is any designation that specifies a wireless triggering capability.
10-28-2015, 07:10 PM   #13
Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,728
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
As I understand it, the 'Z' in the designation indicates a zooming flash head. I don't think there is any designation that specifies a wireless triggering capability.
In what way do you disagree with my comment that immediately precedes yours??
10-29-2015, 03:48 AM   #14
Pentaxian
mcgregni's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 1,498
You said that your understanding was that the 'Z' in the designation, after 'FG' was for flashes that offered the 'master' or 'control' triggering option. I was just offering up my belief, which really comes from reading other sources such as bdimitrov, that it actually refers to the zooming feature. Of course, in reality, we may find that the zooming flashes, simply by being the more sophisticated type also offer the triggering options as well.


There doesn't seem to be any specific indications of the triggering abilities on Pentax flashes, which I guess is why there has been much speculation around the AF201.
10-29-2015, 05:40 AM   #15
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,285
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
As I understand it, the 'Z' in the designation indicates a zooming flash head. I don't think there is any designation that specifies a wireless triggering capability.
Seems correct. A quick look at at some of the older pre p-TTL models before the master/slave thing came up:

Ones that zoom: 240Z, 330FTZ, 400FTZ, 500FTZ

Non-zooming: 220T, 280T, 400T, 260SA, 200T, 200SA, 200S

Though some of the non-zooming ones have clip on adapters for a wider angle coverage, the ones with the "Z" designation have built in zoom heads.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, flash, flashes, master, mirrorless, model, pentax q, pentax q10, pentax q7, pm, post, q-s1, q10, q7
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comparison of the 03 fisheye on Q and Q7 and Q7 with third party raw converter Altglas Pentax Q 14 02-02-2015 10:59 PM
Behaviour of the Q7 and Q-S1 with external flashes NeilGratton Pentax Q 16 12-31-2014 07:09 AM
K-30 and External Flash polur101 Pentax K-30 & K-50 7 11-10-2013 05:10 AM
Pentax K-01 focus assist lamp and external flash raider Pentax K-01 6 09-17-2012 04:39 AM
Pentax f 1.7x tc and external flash-no hss? Waygook Visitors' Center 5 12-23-2011 10:19 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:44 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top