Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2015, 03:10 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
? Why ?
That's where most of the glare comes from. When I'm holding the camera normally and looking somewhat-downward at the LCD screen, my shirt is what's reflected in it. If my shirt is very light in color, it's awful. If my shirt is very dark, the glare is greatly reduced.

11-02-2015, 03:50 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
That's where most of the glare comes from. When I'm holding the camera normally and looking somewhat-downward at the LCD screen, my shirt is what's reflected in it. If my shirt is very light in color, it's awful. If my shirt is very dark, the glare is greatly reduced.
DOH! Hand smacking forehead moment.
11-03-2015, 11:13 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually I found it was my face that was being reflected in the screen, as I've been familiar with it for more than 70 years now I really did not see the need to see it again and would much prefer to be looking at an EVF.

If we generate enough "The Q needs an EVF' threads somebody in Japan might listen

CD
11-03-2015, 01:54 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
If we generate enough "The Q needs an EVF' threads somebody in Japan might listen
Right now the only effect seems to be to irritate CWRailman

11-03-2015, 03:27 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
? Why ?
What could be another reason for wearing a black oversized t-shirt when photographing with a MILC that doesnt offer an EVF:

*drumroll*

so you can use it as a "black photographers cloth".

You may now ask: "What is a -black photographers cloth- ?"

Hm. I suggest that you take a close look at the following picture.
I am sure the penny will drop real soon.
Attached Images

11-03-2015, 03:35 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sadly using the shirt as a black photographer's cloth means showing off my very white belly and frightening people.
Luckily I don't have anything without an optical viewfinder yet.
11-03-2015, 03:43 PM   #22
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Reflections on the screen is an interesting point. Years ago, I had a Nikon D40X... and I fitted it with a screen protector (a habit I continue with my cameras to this day). But that first protector was finely grooved and non-reflective. The downside was that it reduced the clarity of the screen - and back then, I "chimped" a lot, checking each photo in detail on the screen. These days I rarely check individual photos once I know the exposure is within limits - and so I'm thinking... Not just for my Q7, but maybe my DSLRs too, non-reflective screen protectors might be a good idea...

11-03-2015, 03:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Conclusion:

A Viewfinder would be a real painkiller. not only for professionals.

I read a ridiculous statement in some other thread where some user stated something like: "people are used to shoot with smartphones... only pros need viewfinders...no need for that on a Q".

So if you read this, read closely:

It is not a fact that people who are used to shoot with phone-displays are cretins who would deny having a better option... no, you just live with what you get.
But yes, you would welcome a Viewfinder, even my son when he was 8 years old tended to use the EVF of the old Oly-Bridge i bestowed him instead of the LCD-Screen.
Because when the sun makes the Display glare, it doesnt matter if you are used to shoot with phones... its just a sh... situation and you will wish for a viewfinder in such a situation. - There is no magic when you buy a DSLR that makes you a superior photographer... really.
11-03-2015, 03:55 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Sadly using the shirt as a black photographer's cloth means showing off my very white belly and frightening people.
Luckily I don't have anything without an optical viewfinder yet.

---------- Post added 11-03-15 at 03:56 PM ----------

Just in case you consider a Q-S1... when it is cold wearing a second smaller shirt under the black XXL is a pretty nice solution...
Attached Images

11-03-2015, 03:58 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
\There is no magic when you buy a DSLR that makes you a superior photographer...
11-03-2015, 04:59 PM   #26

So far nothing suggests there will be another Q, Q S-2. With the new stacked type sensors coming out the Q could be made a killer camera. I am thinking on-chip phase detection, very fast autofocus generally, faster shooting overall, improved low-light sensitivity, etc. I hope they don't drop the Q as it has been such a joy, pain at times. The new breed of sensors could make the Q much much better.
11-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quser215 Quote
So far nothing suggests there will be another Q, Q S-2. With the new stacked type sensors coming out the Q could be made a killer camera. I am thinking on-chip phase detection, very fast autofocus generally, faster shooting overall, improved low-light sensitivity, etc. I hope they don't drop the Q as it has been such a joy, pain at times. The new breed of sensors could make the Q much much better.
there will be...

any links that offer info on those sensors you wrote about? stacked type? d'ya mean some kind of foveon related tech? foveon sensors capitulate pretty soon, when you raise the ISO...
I tried every generation of sigmas merrill at the last photokina... and the thing is, IQ ends at ISO 800... or more precisely: you get signifcant color noise at ISO 800 and above.

I even like results of the Q-S1 at ISO 1600. If i would see easily recognizable color noise starting at 800 i would rather play frisbee with it then shoot photos.
11-03-2015, 06:17 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
there will be...

any links that offer info on those sensors you wrote about? stacked type? d'ya mean some kind of foveon related tech? foveon sensors capitulate pretty soon, when you raise the ISO...
I tried every generation of sigmas merrill at the last photokina... and the thing is, IQ ends at ISO 800... or more precisely: you get signifcant color noise at ISO 800 and above.

I even like results of the Q-S1 at ISO 1600. If i would see easily recognizable color noise starting at 800 i would rather play frisbee with it then shoot photos.
Here is link to some info. Sony has released several of those recently for I-phones, also the RX100 IV has a 1" stacked sensor.
I like to shoot my Q original in low light, candid type photography; its size is fantastic, but low light ability is rather
poor. I wish they continue the Q with these new sensors and not grow it any bigger.
http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/cx_news_archives/img/pdf/vol_68/sideview_vol68.pdf
11-03-2015, 07:15 PM   #29

An example attached, regular JPEG, no post processing at all, not bad for the original Q, 06 lens, f2.8, 1/80s, ISO-400.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
11-04-2015, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
Another EVF thread?? REALLY folks!!! That dead horse has been beaten long enough. Now I know how Bill Murray’s character in Ground Hog Day felt. Instead of wasting time talking about what it isn’t how about contributing photo’s to the threads demonstrating what it is? The “Let’s Share Shots with Q” thread is looking for contributions. Go to that thread to see my latest contribution. What have you posted in that thread lately?
Here's a suggestion, Denny. If you don't like a thread, don't join it. Easy, see.