Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2015, 10:08 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
I look at my cameras as tools and often refer to the tool box concept where I have different cameras for different purposes. This is similar to the tools, predominately Craftsman tools from Sears, that I use for working around the house or on one of my vehicles. When Sears comes out with a new screwdriver I do not rush out and purchase one. No, in fact I still have and use on a weekly basis some of the screwdrivers that came with the first Sears tool kit that I purchased some 52 years ago. These are well worn tools that lost their sheen decades ago, have nicks, burns from contact with electrical circuitry and exhibit other battle scars but continue to be useful. I feel the same about my cameras. No matter how much time people want to spend pontificating over the future of the Q series or Pentax company itself, personally I donít feel threatened or worried by what happens to either.

After experimenting with first a Q then a Q10 then the Q7ís then acquiring another Q to compare the results I was getting from the Q7ís just to verify my findings, I realized that while the Q and Q10 were OK and somewhat innovative cameras that captured my interest and succeeded in having me take a look at the series, they fell just a bit short of the image quality I needed out of such cameras. Maybe it was the camera, and maybe it was me, hence the reason I acquired the second Q just to compare to the Q7. After verifying my findings again, that second Q was resold and the two Q7ís (which grew to three of them for a while) continue to provide that image quality I need. As such, they became an integral part of my photographic tool box and though I have tested them against other cameras such as 4/3 formats they serve a purpose that my other cameras in other formats cannot provide. Like those first Craftsman screw drivers, one of which I used to do a repair on my motorcycle this past Saturday, I will continue using them until they stop working or I do.

By the way, I own all the cameras I talk about on this or other forums. I am not basing my statements on something I read in a blog or a review or a friend told me. I have personal experience so when I say that the Q7 can do things the 4/3 cannot or that the 4/3 has better image quality I am speaking from personal hands on experience.

Here is a downgraded for posting image I shot and used when explaining my tool box concept on another forum. It shows just a small selection of the cameras in my photographic tool box. (Check out the blog page on my CWRailman WEB site to see how I procured this tool box for less than $8) If you download this image and read the camera Details you will note that this image was shot with a Pentax K-110. Though there are much newer versions of that series here on the premises, that camera continues to churn out many of the images I use for my WEB site as well as product shots I take for local companies. Why continue using it? Well some of the graphic artists responsible for selecting the images from my shoots for publication in their product sheets or brochures prefer the colors and contrast and look of the images out of that camera. Why argue with them. They pay the bills so they get to pick the shots.
Interesting comparison here - you acquire cameras as you acquire tools ... and I acquire cameras as I acquire tools.

In my case, I've never found personal utility to having lots of tools.

I did buy a router once because we were renovating our bedroom and I wanted to replicate the trim used in the rest of our then-ninety-year-old house. I never used it again, and one day just left it out by the street when we were preparing to move from Massachusetts back here to Indiana - and some thrifty New Englander picked it up. I probably should have done the same thing with the band saw that I also bought thirty years ago, and have now moved three times without having used it again.

For hand tools, I have the basics - hammers (several, because I misplaced mine more than once, and now I've inherited my Dad's also), screw drivers, wrenches, etc - but I've never enjoyed using them, and I've never acquired fancy / specialized tools.

Likewise, as I've mentioned here several times, I can identify seven uses I make of cameras, but I've always tried to a do those things with at most two general purpose cameras (once I tried to make do with one compact camera, but I quickly went back to two). That is one of the reasons I value my Q-7, because it gives me more flexibility than I've ever had before.

12-19-2015, 01:33 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
...with at most two general purpose cameras...
Which leads me to the thought that I value 'tools' for other than their purely utilitarian uses.