Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2015, 01:43 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Suggestions for Q7 wrist strap

To my surprise, I find myself using my recently-acquired Q7 quite regularly as a general walk-around camera (rather than simply as an "enlarging back" for my K lenses) - often in place of the K3 or K5. It's just so convenient, and I really do like the IQ. However, I don't have the neck strap on it as I don't want to carry it that way. I'd prefer to use a wrist strap like I'd normally use with a compact - but most of them have that little twisted synthetic cord to loop around the eyelet, and I think that would wear away against the rather sharply finished strap rings on the Q7. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good quality wrist strap?

11-19-2015, 02:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
To my surprise, I find myself using my recently-acquired Q7 quite regularly as a general walk-around camera (rather than simply as an "enlarging back" for my K lenses) - often in place of the K3 or K5. It's just so convenient, and I really do like the IQ. However, I don't have the neck strap on it as I don't want to carry it that way. I'd prefer to use a wrist strap like I'd normally use with a compact - but most of them have that little twisted synthetic cord to loop around the eyelet, and I think that would wear away against the rather sharply finished strap rings on the Q7. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good quality wrist strap?
I use the wrist strap from a Nintendo wii remote -- very strong and easy to adjust.
11-19-2015, 02:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have grown fond of the leather straps from Gordy's, at gordy's camera straps
11-19-2015, 02:21 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K-S1 also has stamped metal strap rings, and I've used a wrist cord made of nylon 550 paracord on it for over a year with no noticeable wear. I like the 550 cord because it is soft, light, and strong.

11-19-2015, 02:40 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlG Quote
I have grown fond of the leather straps from Gordy's, at gordy's camera straps
Ooh, they look nice And I like the idea of using a little rubber o-ring around the strap ring to stop the attaching ring from damaging the body - simple, but clever.

---------- Post added 11-19-2015 at 09:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
My K-S1 also has stamped metal strap rings, and I've used a wrist cord made of nylon 550 paracord on it for over a year with no noticeable wear. I like the 550 cord because it is soft, light, and strong.
Good idea. How do you join the ends of the cord - just knot it?
11-19-2015, 02:57 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Those Gordy straps look really nice...bookmarking those for gifts.

I love tripod screw straps; I use this three-way by Joby, which converts to a nice neck strap: Joby 3-Way Camera Strap - REI.com
11-19-2015, 03:11 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
Those Gordy straps look really nice...bookmarking those for gifts.

I love tripod screw straps; I use this three-way by Joby, which converts to a nice neck strap: Joby 3-Way Camera Strap - REI.com
The block that screws in looks a little chunky given the size of the Q7 (is it?)... I like the idea of a tripod screw strap, though - that's neat. Just had a quick look on eBay and there are some good used examples that just have the screw, with a simple vinyl strap. That might do the trick... But I *do* like the Gordy straps
11-19-2015, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Good idea. How do you join the ends of the cord - just knot it?
I tie the ends in an 'Ashley Bend' knot. After tightening, it jams and becomes very hard to untie, and it's reasonably decorative if you can keep everything symmetrical. You can see it in the background of this shot.

I use a plastic cord lock (the kind with a spring loaded button) to secure the cord around my wrist - you can get them off eBay for a few cents apiece.

The cord in this picture just has plastic pony bead as a slide - I was using them at first, but they tend to wear out and split.

11-19-2015, 03:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Tried this for my Q7 and ended up buying 2 more for my other Qs.
Joby JB01271-PWW DSLR Wrist Strap (Charcoal) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F5JH9FU/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_tmLtwbDK0GMTA
11-19-2015, 04:10 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I tie the ends in an 'Ashley Bend' knot. After tightening, it jams and becomes very hard to untie, and it's reasonably decorative if you can keep everything symmetrical. You can see it in the background of this shot.

I use a plastic cord lock (the kind with a spring loaded button) to secure the cord around my wrist - you can get them off eBay for a few cents apiece.

The cord in this picture just has plastic pony bead as a slide - I was using them at first, but they tend to wear out and split.
Perfect, and nothing nasty to grind against the camera. The Gordy straps are nicer, but this is more in tune with my budget Thanks - I'll pick up the paracord and cord locks off the 'bay
11-19-2015, 05:54 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Perfect, and nothing nasty to grind against the camera. The Gordy straps are nicer, but this is more in tune with my budget Thanks - I'll pick up the paracord and cord locks off the 'bay
Glad to help. I started out with a compact wrist strap, but had the same concerns about the lanyard breaking. I can't wear a leather watchband without getting a rash, so that ruled out anything like the Gordy. The paracord has the added benefit of being hypo-allergenic, and I can wash it if I need to (or just make a new one).

This is the best guide I've found for tying the Ashley Bend and getting a symmetrical knot - I keep the pictures in front of me when tying it.

Ashley Bend | How to tie the Ashley Bend | Various Knots

Once you get to step seven, just pull it really tight to lock it. This knot is unpopular with knot-tiers because it jams, which is exactly what I wanted.
11-20-2015, 09:43 AM   #12

I've used one of those lanyards you're so bothered about since the Q7 was released. Still on my first, no problem or wear yet.

J
11-20-2015, 10:23 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
I've used one of those lanyards you're so bothered about since the Q7 was released. Still on my first, no problem or wear yet.

J
I wouldn't say I'm "so bothered" about it, Jethro, but it looked like a potential area of weakness in that style of strap with the pressed steel strap rings. Good to know it hasn't been a problem for you
11-21-2015, 01:51 AM   #14

It obviously was a concern, so I kept an eye on it. There really isn't a mark on it yet.
J
11-21-2015, 03:24 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
It obviously was a concern, so I kept an eye on it. There really isn't a mark on it yet.
J
That's reassuring. I guess the thin cord that loops through the ring is much more resilient than I imagined