Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #1
Forum Member

My Q's Memory Card Tray Wont Lock

Today when i took my memory card out of my Q all was good... But when i went to put back in the lock wouldnt work thus making the card unreadable. Is there a way to remedy this? Right now i stuck a tissue in there to keep down when i close the tray seems to be an ok fix but not permanent.

12-03-2015, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This happened on my Q7 and it required an expensive repair. No, I don't think there is a fix other than service.
12-08-2015, 11:26 AM   #3

This came up earlier this year on this forum, but the problem is common to all SD type cameras.
It's quite typical for a tiny piece of plastic from the SD card to break off and get stuck in the lock/release mechanism of the camera - or the plastic bit gets stuck behind the contacts at the end of the card unit, and won't allow the card to go all the way in.
If you have great dexterity, or know someone who does, you can shine light inside the card slot and look for the plastic bit - easier if it's blue - harder if it's black.

Once you see it, it is sometimes possible to poke it free (have the battery out of the camera before attempting any of this, BTW) and shake it out.

Sometimes the bit is just so jammed in there, the camera has to come apart and the card unit dealt with separately.