Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2015, 01:14 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eschmeling Quote
thanks for all the answers so far! I have multiple tabs open on my laptop checking out all the other camera options people have mentioned - but I think I am stuck on the q, despite the fact that, as pointed out, it comes with some flaws for my (puppy) purpose. I am really, really drawn to the small size, and the idea that despite that, different lenses can be fitted on it.
I can get a q-s1 with 02 and 06 on Amazon for $320. Also checked the market place here because someone here (thank you!!) pointed me to a q-01 lens combo for only $150 - but after everyone weighing in on the subject, it seems the s1 is the better way to go than the original.
maybe it will need to be sleeping puppy pics - he does a lot of that, too!
e
If you want to get active puppy pics, either setup a stationary toy for play, or have someone play with him in a restricted area. As you get more accustomed to his movements and how the camera works, you'll be better able to predict the action and get more winners.

My cat, Abigail, at play. Taken with the Q7 (essentially the same as the Q-S1) + 01 Prime. ISO 800.

12-09-2015, 01:28 PM   #17
Pentaxian

That Amazon deal is Ok....but get the Q and sell the body and redeem some money the 1 is a great lens!
12-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #18
Emperor and Senpai

thanks for all the answers so far! I have multiple tabs open on my laptop checking out all the other camera options people have mentioned - but I think I am stuck on the q, despite the fact that, as pointed out, it comes with some flaws for my (puppy) purpose. I am really, really drawn to the small size, and the idea that despite that, different lenses can be fitted on it.
I can get a q-s1 with 02 and 06 on Amazon for $320. Also checked the market place here because someone here (thank you!!) pointed me to a q-01 lens combo for only $150 - but after everyone weighing in on the subject, it seems the s1 is the better way to go than the original.
e
The QS1 does have a slightly larger sensor and is newer tech, so more mature and developed. That 02 and 06 lens combo would be an awesome kit for you. Now to get the 01, and the.... Yes, you too can experience the joys of LBA!
12-09-2015, 09:02 PM   #19
Site Supporter

I have a K5 but out to dinner the other night and the Q gets taken. The Q/01 combination fits in a pocket easily.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
12-09-2015, 09:24 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
The QS1 does have a slightly larger sensor and is newer tech, so more mature and developed. That 02 and 06 lens combo would be an awesome kit for you. Now to get the 01, and the.... Yes, you too can experience the joys of LBA!
More than "slightly"... the 1/1.7" sensor in the Q-S1 has around 50% more surface area than the 1/2.3" sensor in the original Q.
12-11-2015, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #21

Buy the Q+01 lens and the QS1 and 02 lens and sell the Q with the 02 lens. QS1 with 01 lens is a great combo.
12-11-2015, 07:02 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by toodas Quote
Buy the Q+01 lens and the QS1 and 02 lens and sell the Q with the 02 lens. QS1 with 01 lens is a great combo.
A q10 package just listed in the marketplace that might be of interest.
12-11-2015, 07:56 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

It' unlikely you'll stop at one lens so get the Q-body you prefer/and or can afford and enjoy the ride. There's a genetic component to LBA.

12-13-2015, 01:29 PM   #24

Original Poster
...so I am now the proud owner of a Q-S1 and had fun shooting with the 02 lens and also bought a used 01 off this forum - BUT the 06 lens of the kit doesn't work. Straight out of the box, first time I put it on - nothing - no focusing, no shutter release. I hope their customer service is good when I call them tomorrow....anyone have any experience with this?
thanks!
elke
12-13-2015, 02:34 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Where did you buy the 02/06 kit from? If Amazon or a reputable dealer - get the entire thing exchanged.
12-16-2015, 06:17 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Agreed, the 02 is more flexible.

That 01 is a better lens, and with it you have a mini rangefinder camera. The 01 does make the camera fun, and can be pocketed. Do get a lens hood, though. for protection if nothing else.
Not only that, but with optical viewfinder (Pentax or aftermarket), it's a pleasure to use.
02-15-2016, 12:46 PM   #27
Forum Member

e
Once you have the q-s1, watch ebay for an original Q and the 01 lens deal. then you will have a spare body and the original Q with the magnesium body is a joy to hold. You will have common controls and a lot of fun.
02-28-2016, 08:40 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
...so I am now the proud owner of a Q-S1 and had fun shooting with the 02 lens and also bought a used 01 off this forum - BUT the 06 lens of the kit doesn't work. Straight out of the box, first time I put it on - nothing - no focusing, no shutter release. I hope their customer service is good when I call them tomorrow....anyone have any experience with this?
uhh. . . Did you extend the lens on the 06? You have to turn the zoom ring from the dot to the 15 mark before the lens will work.

The 06 is a fantastic lens. Plastic fantastic. But just try pricing any fast zoom with a similar range on other systems.
02-28-2016, 10:20 AM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
uhh. . . Did you extend the lens on the 06? You have to turn the zoom ring from the dot to the 15 mark before the lens will work.
I hadn't thought of that (in that case, you do get a message on the LCD trying to tell you what the problem is and how to fix it)