Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2015, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
So you're comparing an APCS sensor with the 1/2.3" Q sensor? That's hardly fair! But your point is taken re: better tech over a period of several years.

However just because of the above doesn't mean that the same applies to the small differences you'll see between the 1/2.3" and 1/1.7" sensors which were likely developed around the same time frame anyway.
I think you're thinking purely in terms of hardware only, where new components replace older, obsolete ones. Keep in mind that it is the WHOLE cam+lens + SETTINGS that makes your final image.
Some cams work really well straight out of the box, but some require tweaks and adjustments to produce good results.

User error usually has more to do with poor pics than older tech!

See: Pentax Q7 Review - Compared to the Q | PentaxForums.com Reviews

The differences are pretty small!
I was truly amazed, but my Q-7 with its 1/1.7" sensor really has demonstrated its strength in low light compared to older APS-C sensor cameras, and I had complete control over one of the APS-C cameras; I was the user on both sides during my experiences in San Diego (and I had many years of experience with the APS-C camera, and yes, I did check, and recheck my settings and procedures). Yes, it is part of the complete package - and all along I've said that the Pentax package is really good. I wanted a "Q" with a 01 lens; the Q came packaged with a 01, while the Q-7 came packaged in the USA with a 02. People I trust, people here, told me that the Q-7 was noticeably better, so I bought a Q-7 package, and then purchased a 01 separately from a Japanese merchant.

You will believe what you will believe; that is your right.

I have shared my experiences, which is all I can, and will, do.

12-22-2015, 02:07 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Happy Holidays are here again! Enjoy your Q7, as I will my Q. I do hope that Pentax keeps the Q continuum going!

Re: original post, FYI lately I've been really impressed with the Kinotel 1.5" 3.5 D mount lens. It's about a 210mm equivalent and amazingly sharp, even wide open at 3.5 with no CA or PF. Impressive lil lens for less than $10 delivered!
12-22-2015, 02:25 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Happy Holidays are here again! Enjoy your Q7, as I will my Q. I do hope that Pentax keeps the Q continuum going!
Here we totally agree!

Re: original post, FYI lately I've been really impressed with the Kinotel 1.5" 3.5 D mount lens. It's about a 210mm equivalent and amazingly sharp, even wide open at 3.5 with no CA or PF. Impressive lil lens for less than $10 delivered!
And also regarding the original post, my personal opinion is that a Focal Reducer would be too complicated in the Q ecosystem. Pentax provides basic lenses, and trying to get all the needed electronics, including a leaf lens, into the device seems like an engineering nightmare to me. My personal opinion is that the Pentax Q-to-K adapter costs too much for what it does (at that price I'd want it to transmit AF and other stuff), so I can imagine what a Focal Reducer would cost.
12-22-2015, 03:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Thanks. I think adapters along with C and D mount lenses may be my next LBA fixation given the comments about how cheap and excellent they are on the Q's.

---------- Post added 12-22-15 at 04:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Here we totally agree!

And also regarding the original post, my personal opinion is that a Focal Reducer would be too complicated in the Q ecosystem. Pentax provides basic lenses, and trying to get all the needed electronics, including a leaf lens, into the device seems like an engineering nightmare to me. My personal opinion is that the Pentax Q-to-K adapter costs too much for what it does (at that price I'd want it to transmit AF and other stuff), so I can imagine what a Focal Reducer would cost.
I'm thinking the same -- it seems that a FR would overwhelm the sensor. I do have a Fotodiox M42-to-Q adapter and that's where I will likely stop at trying to reuse my existing lenses since I see no elegant and cheap solutions for use of Pentax-DA lenses.

I do have a question regarding use of M42 and non-Q lenses, however. I assume I can only use electronic shutter with A/M Takumars and 2-ring preset lenses? I have my shutter set to AUTO and have seen some weird "jello-like" bending in some images with my M42 lenses on the Q. Normal? Any tips?

Thanks to all!!

12-22-2015, 03:33 PM   #20
Inactive Account

ripper2850, sure thing, but don't get carried away with C and D mount LBA - not all are that good!

You're seeing the rolling shutter effect with the electronic shutter which is by design. You'll have to get the authentic Pentax K->Q adapter that has it's own shutter inside. Then you'll have speeds up to 1/1000 with a leaf shutter and flash synch above the pathetic 1/13 (part of rolling shutter - cmos readout design). Of course you can then attach M42 screw lenses (or anything else that focuses) and use the mechanical shutter. Personally idk that I'd buy it again, since I get vignetting at higher speeds with super tele lenses using the mechanical shutter (leaf) vs some jello with e-shutter. The main advantage to me are the much higher flash synch speeds for macro use!

Last edited by digital029art; 12-22-2015 at 07:42 PM.
12-24-2015, 12:39 PM   #21
Staff Writer

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I am not claiming that a Q-7 is superior to a contemporaneous Canon or Nikon DSLR, but it does demonstratively provide better low-light images than a six years older Canon DSLR, or even a three years older Nikon DSLR (nearly the time difference between Q and Q-7). That is the kind of progress we all have observed; most of that is purely in hardware, partly in how putting more devices (a sensor contains more than just the light-catching elements) on the sensor, and having more room in which to arrange things, has enabled the engineers to improve all aspects of what those sensors do.
Agreed. As I've said here before, when my daily driver was a Q I still brought out my K20D when I wanted better IQ. The K20D has stayed in the closet since I got the Q7. The Q7, especially with the 08, is better than the K20D with the kit zooms.

Cjf
12-27-2015, 12:26 PM   #22

Pentax Q and Long Tele is just fine. I just posted these elsewhere, and rest assured, this was hand held. TAIR-3 300mm f4.5

The black and white is the Q's onboard processing, the others are PP with Silky. I find that the White balance on my Q is utter trash.

The Rolling shutter isn't that bad as long as you keep the shutter speed up, and You're not going to see any color fringing in B&W for obvious reasons. Hell, I have test shots SOMEHWERE with a 1000mm Mirror that are decent, though I'd hightly recommend a Tripod at that point.

That Said, a Fast Fifty will do wonders as well. Super-Takumar 55mm 1.8 on Unicolour Bold Red.

AS for C-Mount, the Pentax made COSMICAR are really nice for fast lenses. This was the 6mm 1.2 With Unicolour Bold in camera set on Teal.

I think I actually use this thing more than the K-50. And I really love it for the B&W Settings (Mostly because you can squeeze extra speed out no problem), though you can really push it's in camera Raw and with some user tweaking you can get some really good In Camera JPGs.

But that White Balance, That is going to be the bloody end of my patience. EVERYTHING IS BLUE.