Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2016, 01:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Q-08 - clicking sound??

2 weeks ago I bought a Q-08 wide angle zoom for my Q-S1. I was gifted a $200 voucher from a local camera store (courtesy from my boss) and use that to offset the cost of the Q-08 lens.

On the first day when I try the lens out, I head some clicking sound from the lens...it is as if the motor on the lens fails to engage of some sort..and while it is doing that clicking thingy, the camera will not focus. This went away as I mount and dismount the camera lens a few times. I thought it was a glitch so I thought I should observe it further.

Today when I tried to use the lens again, it is giving me the exact same issue but this time it is quite prolonged and even with mounting and dismounting, the clicking sound remains. I brought the lens and camera back to the camera store and initially they wouldn't believe a word I am saying because the lens perform flawlessly at that time! Very annoying.

But after 5 minutes of testing out the lens in front of them, the issue returns and they know that I wasn't making things up. The lens is now on its way back to CK Kennedy for a repair/replacement.

I have 2 questions:

1. Anyone experienced similar issues with their Q cameras and Q-08?
2. What will Pentax generally do to the lens? I don't thin they are going to "repair" the lens per se? Do they just sent me a new one or ?

Thanks

01-09-2016, 02:53 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It sounds like there might be an issue with the focusing motor. My guess is that they'll replace the motor hardware but not the entire lens, unless it turns out to be a lemon.

Can't say I've heard of similar issues with Q lenses, but then again the overall number of Q users is substantially lower, so that might explain it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-09-2016, 08:52 PM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
2 weeks ago I bought a Q-08 wide angle zoom for my Q-S1. I was gifted a $200 voucher from a local camera store (courtesy from my boss) and use that to offset the cost of the Q-08 lens.

On the first day when I try the lens out, I head some clicking sound from the lens...it is as if the motor on the lens fails to engage of some sort..and while it is doing that clicking thingy, the camera will not focus. This went away as I mount and dismount the camera lens a few times. I thought it was a glitch so I thought I should observe it further.

Today when I tried to use the lens again, it is giving me the exact same issue but this time it is quite prolonged and even with mounting and dismounting, the clicking sound remains. I brought the lens and camera back to the camera store and initially they wouldn't believe a word I am saying because the lens perform flawlessly at that time! Very annoying.

But after 5 minutes of testing out the lens in front of them, the issue returns and they know that I wasn't making things up. The lens is now on its way back to CK Kennedy for a repair/replacement.

I have 2 questions:

1. Anyone experienced similar issues with their Q cameras and Q-08?
2. What will Pentax generally do to the lens? I don't thin they are going to "repair" the lens per se? Do they just sent me a new one or ?

Thanks
I have an 08 and a Q7 I do not have the issue.
01-09-2016, 09:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
+1 on @someone902's post. My 08 lens is stealthy quiet.

01-09-2016, 11:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all. Seems like I get a lemon :-(
Not happy about this. I hope Pentax replaced the lens for me instead of doing a repair...esp. considering the lens is brand new!
01-11-2016, 07:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Most stores have a 30 day return policy. I would return it to the store.
01-13-2016, 03:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just collected my replacement lens from the store and it is a new lens. So far have only tested this for 10mins. So far so good. Hopefully this one is not a dud.....