Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2016, 09:38 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Kath, the results at 500mm aren't bad at all. With a little PP of the raw file things could be improved quiet a bit. Also, on the last image focus seems to be on the background instead of on the geese. Hope that you don't mind but I gave that last one a quick makeover:
Adjusted shadows and highlights and sharpened it at 60%. You could do much better working from the raw file.

take care
Thanks, Heinrich. Yes, that focus was a tough one at this distance/magnification. I'm hoping to read up on what other Q tele folks are doing to improve the odds.

I didn't do much work at all on the file because I knew the focus was off. But I was pretty impressed with what emerged given the distance. I also want to better understand what kind of DOF I can get from that adapter aperture ring. A nice bright day will no doubt help that process along.

01-17-2016, 09:52 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Ahem....Kath. I bought a new Q-S1 and a new adapter just to fool around with my tele- and macro-lenses. A fortnight later it seemed obvious that I needed the Q 01 prime so that I could use the S1 with a native lens. So, I am afraid it has cost me a bit. I see that you own the 560mm; I would love to see samples of 35mm equivalent completely ridiculous 2576mm.
01-17-2016, 09:54 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
Thanks, Heinrich. Yes, that focus was a tough one at this distance/magnification. I'm hoping to read up on what other Q tele folks are doing to improve the odds.

I didn't do much work at all on the file because I knew the focus was off. But I was pretty impressed with what emerged given the distance. I also want to better understand what kind of DOF I can get from that adapter aperture ring. A nice bright day will no doubt help that process along.
The aperture ring on the adapter controls the aperture of the lens attached. Every numerical value represents 1 f stop. If you do not have the instructions for the adapter please let me know, I'll scan and post it.
01-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikdyb Quote
Ahem....Kath. I bought a new Q-S1 and a new adapter just to fool around with my tele- and macro-lenses. A fortnight later it seemed obvious that I needed the Q 01 prime so that I could use the S1 with a native lens. So, I am afraid it has cost me a bit. I see that you own the 560mm; I would love to see samples of 35mm equivalent completely ridiculous 2576mm.
Hahaha! I love your terminology, @mikdyb! Yes, it will be completely ridiculous, won't it? But I'm looking forward to seeing what the IQ will be like with that lens, if I can get the darn subject in focus. Do you use anything to aid you in focusing at these lengths, or do you rely solely on the live view presentation? If so, I'm going to have to get better glasses.

I got the 01 with my used purchase. It seemed I should have at least one good Q lens. The few shots I've taken with it so far look pretty decent.

01-17-2016, 10:22 AM   #20
Site Supporter

I find focusing extremely difficult even though the small sensor should be helpfull with its larger dof. I also use the Sigma 150-500mm and it needs a very solid tripod. In menu AF/MF settings I set MF Autozoom at x6. The OK-button will then toggle x6 magnification on/off.

Below a sample of what Qs can do at the other end. Shot with Tamron 90mm macro the entire photo covers approx. 12mm from top to bottom. Buds on an Oak (Quercus robur):
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
01-17-2016, 10:23 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
The aperture ring on the adapter controls the aperture of the lens attached. Every numerical value represents 1 f stop. If you do not have the instructions for the adapter please let me know, I'll scan and post it.
Thank you, Heinrich. The original box isn't with me at the moment, so I don't have access to the instructions. I was flying blind yesterday! Good to know this is a simple conversion for f-stops. I do imagine it will take some time to get familiar with how the Q acts with the adapter and each lens, with regard to DOF.

---------- Post added 01-17-16 at 09:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikdyb Quote
I find focusing extremely difficult even though the small sensor should be helpfull with its larger dof. I also use the Sigma 150-500mm and it needs a very solid tripod. In menu AF/MF settings I set MF Autozoom at x6. The OK-button will then toggle x6 magnification on/off.

Below a sample of what Qs can do at the other end. Shot with Tamron 90mm macro the entire photo covers approx. 12mm from top to bottom. Buds on an Oak (Quercus robur):
Well, now, there's a good one!

P.S., thanks for the focus tip. I'll give that a try.
01-17-2016, 11:44 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Phenix jc Quote
+1
But anyway it seems the Sigma 150-500mm isn't a good choice for the Q7...
I'd hate to see anyone draw that conclusion from my shots here. These were taken in rain, on a dark day, from a floating platform, at mostly 1/10 sec, by a photographer brand new to the Q/adapter/tele combo. Perhaps others have elicited better performance under more stable conditions.

I'll try this setup again on a brighter day, using a faster shutter speed, better aperture control, and, hopefully, improved focusing skills on the Q. Either way, I'll be happy to post what I discover.

I feel sure this setup won't replace my full-size ones, but it's a lot of fun to see what's on the far shore.

By the way, while I was conducting this rather uncontrolled "experiment", I heard a loud "whoosh" a little ways downriver. It was a huge sea lion swimming upstream and emerging for air about every 25 feet! I frantically swung the lens in its direction but, between the manual focusing, extreme magnification, slow shutter speed, rain, and the unpredictable movement of the sea lion, I lost him. Twice. Upriver and later, down.

Conclusion: the Q/Sig may not be my go-to kit for wildlife action shots.
01-17-2016, 12:21 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
I'd hate to see anyone draw that conclusion from my shots here. These were taken in rain, on a dark day, from a floating platform, at mostly 1/10 sec, by a photographer brand new to the Q/adapter/tele combo. Perhaps others have elicited better performance under more stable conditions.

I'll try this setup again on a brighter day, using a faster shutter speed, better aperture control, and, hopefully, improved focusing skills on the Q. Either way, I'll be happy to post what I discover.

I feel sure this setup won't replace my full-size ones, but it's a lot of fun to see what's on the far shore.

By the way, while I was conducting this rather uncontrolled "experiment", I heard a loud "whoosh" a little ways downriver. It was a huge sea lion swimming upstream and emerging for air about every 25 feet! I frantically swung the lens in its direction but, between the manual focusing, extreme magnification, slow shutter speed, rain, and the unpredictable movement of the sea lion, I lost him. Twice. Upriver and later, down.

Conclusion: the Q/Sig may not be my go-to kit for wildlife action shots.
Kath:

Of course I can see you're already in the Q Forum. A couple users (Larry, Hans) have done a great job assembling resources, links and experiences from the 75 - 100 generous Q Users who have posted helpful hints here. Go to this thread - be prepared to spend a couple hours drawn in. The first several posts cover use of the Q for K Adapter. There's also an entire thread dedicated to extreme-tele using the adapter. Lots of Bigma and Sig zoom samples; lots of DA*300.

There's also a great how-to on using a Pentax Red Dot Sight (a shooting sport optic used to zero in small targets at long distance) mounted to the hotshoe. Picking out a target with the LCD at 1500 feet is brutal without one. They come up every so often in the Marketplace. The tough part is a small part that's out of production that fits the hotshoe on one end and the Weaver rail under the sight on the other ends - Here's an example For Sale in the Marketplace (I have no relationship to this seller).

This makes all the difference. You might have even caught your sea lion.

01-17-2016, 01:11 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks very much for all the links, @monochrome.

QuoteQuote:
Be prepared to spnd a couple of hours drawn in.
Indeed! Lots and lots of great information in there. I guess it's a good thing it rains a lot here in Oregon. Gives us plenty of indoor time to delve deeply.
01-17-2016, 05:22 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
IQ is not there, even at web size. I bet a Nikon P900 can delivery better IQ, while being more compact, cheaper, lighter and retaining AF.
I'm not sure how much you would want to bet. Remember that the P900 has a 1/2.3" sensor, which would hold back its IQ; the learning curve with the Q is obviously much steeper. The best possible situation would be a super-zoom actually designed for the Q, but Pentax hasn't been willing to go down that path.

added: the P900 doesn't offer a RAW image format either. The Q family would be a very strong competitor with a camera like the Nikon P900 or the Canon SX-60 if Pentax were willing to provide an EVF and a native super zoom lens; as is, using a Q in that kind of setting is an adventure, and not all adventures are bad.

Last edited by reh321; 01-17-2016 at 05:38 PM. Reason: added thought
01-17-2016, 05:31 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Are we looking at the Same pics?
Look at the source...if it's Pentax it must suck...
01-17-2016, 05:36 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There's also a great how-to on using a Pentax Red Dot Sight (a shooting sport optic used to zero in small targets at long distance) mounted to the hotshoe. Picking out a target with the LCD at 1500 feet is brutal without one. They come up every so often in the Marketplace. The tough part is a small part that's out of production that fits the hotshoe on one end and the Weaver rail under the sight on the other ends - Here's an example For Sale in the Marketplace (I have no relationship to this seller).
It need not be a Pentax Red Dot sight either. Plenty of third party options available...
01-17-2016, 05:40 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Kath:

Of course I can see you're already in the Q Forum. A couple users (Larry, Hans) have done a great job assembling resources, links and experiences from the 75 - 100 generous Q Users who have posted helpful hints here. Go to this thread - be prepared to spend a couple hours drawn in. The first several posts cover use of the Q for K Adapter. There's also an entire thread dedicated to extreme-tele using the adapter. Lots of Bigma and Sig zoom samples; lots of DA*300.

This makes all the difference. You might have even caught your sea lion.
The old fashioned approach of starting off with a wider focal length and zooming in for the final picture actually works reasonably most of the time.
01-17-2016, 06:01 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The old fashioned approach of starting off with a wider focal length and zooming in for the final picture actually works reasonably most of the time.
Yeah I should have thought of that for my reply but Bryon 125mm I only have primes.
01-17-2016, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I actually used that technique today, with one hand on the focus ring. It made for quite an adventure with the Cormorants flying in and out.

I never got my bright day, but at least the wind died down and the water was calmer. Here are a few I happened to catch. Aa compared to yesterday's shots (above), these are at 450mm but about half the distance away, about 175 feet. (No cropping involved). I will say, there is something to that little Q. I like how quiet it is, too.