Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
We have an original Q, Q10, Q7 and a Q S1, none of them lose their date when changing batteries. We make sure that there is always a charged battery in the camera (we have about 6 spares) My understanding is that there is NO secondary battery in the camera but a sort of capacitor that keeps things going while one change the battery. If you leave the battery out too long the capacitor loses it's charge and you will have to reset things.
That fits my experience. With each of my K-30 and Q-7, I was interrupted by something in the middle of switching batteries (in one case, I took the battery out of the Q-7 before fetching the replacement from my camera bag ... and then my wife called me to dinner). By the time I remembered what I had been doing, and came back to the camera, it had forgotten the time. I don't consider this to be a big deal, but if I don't want to have to reset the clock, I have to make switching batteries an uninterpretable task; in particular, I need to have the replacement next to me before I take the current batter out).

01-22-2016, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Look at the upper right of the photo in this ebay listing for a Q mainboard. That is a button cell for the CMOS. It is the culprit.

Case closed

Pentax Q Main Board 2 with SD Card Reader Replacement Repair Part DH5871 | eBay

---------- Post added 01-22-16 at 12:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by keithlester Quote
You will of course have evidence to back up that assertion. I am not used to being called wrong, so I would expect the courtesy of being shown I'm wrong. I reiterate that my experience is that the internal storage device will hold sufficient charge to enable you to change the battery, but if there is only one battery and has to be taken out of the camera to be recharged, you WILL definitely lose your time and date settings. I don't believe it is a cmos battery, they are pretty much an old and redundant technology for this sort of application. I am not a nay-saying internet troll, I'm an electronics technician with approximately fifty three years of relevant experience.
You are wrong. Get used to it. And they are not "old and redundant." They are standard in pretty much all time-dependent consumer electronics that might be powered down for more than a few minutes. Tiny surface-mount capacitors are not going to give you the kind of trickle discharge you need to keep the clock alive for extended periods.
01-22-2016, 01:44 PM   #18

Ok, I stand corrected.
01-22-2016, 02:34 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Both the battery and the capacitor schemes have been used in various electronic devices. It would be useful if someone determined WHICH choice was relevant to the Q's and posted it as a 'Q-sticky' for future reference.

01-22-2016, 03:31 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Look two posts above yours. It's a button cell battery.

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Both the battery and the capacitor schemes have been used in various electronic devices. It would be useful if someone determined WHICH choice was relevant to the Q's and posted it as a 'Q-sticky' for future reference.
01-22-2016, 04:55 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have anyone tried to replace this button cell? I would imagine it would be a nightmare to open up the Q but have anyone tried?
01-22-2016, 07:16 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I've not opened the Q yet, but the K-01 is pretty easy to disassemble, so I imagine the Q would be similar. There really aren't that many external screws. The cell migh tbe soldered in, though.
01-22-2016, 07:38 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I've not opened the Q yet, but the K-01 is pretty easy to disassemble, so I imagine the Q would be similar. There really aren't that many external screws. The cell migh tbe soldered in, though.
Even assuming that the battery is readily available, why risk destroying the camera? Having to reset the time after not replacing the battery immediately is a minor annoyance.

02-02-2016, 04:29 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Look at the upper right of the photo in this ebay listing for a Q mainboard. That is a button cell for the CMOS. It is the culprit.

Case closed

Pentax Q Main Board 2 with SD Card Reader Replacement Repair Part DH5871 | eBay

---------- Post added 01-22-16 at 12:53 PM ----------

You are wrong. Get used to it. And they are not "old and redundant." They are standard in pretty much all time-dependent consumer electronics that might be powered down for more than a few minutes. Tiny surface-mount capacitors are not going to give you the kind of trickle discharge you need to keep the clock alive for extended periods.
Thanks, Your picture proved very handy. I should have the camera back in the next couple of days, so I'll report in...

FYI, my 08 lens just arrived today... nothing to do with the thread, just saying
02-02-2016, 11:21 AM   #25
Forum Member

The Q I bought used lost date/time setting a long time ago, but now it's the turn of the Q7 I bought new...
Ok : It's not important, I can live with that.
But this is not serious. This camera was NOT cheap, and, for me, it tells a lot about the Manufacturer.

Last edited by Phenix jc; 02-02-2016 at 11:31 AM. Reason: english
02-02-2016, 11:28 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Phenix jc Quote
The Q I bought used lost date/time setting a long time ago, but now it's the turn of the Q7 I bought new...
This camera was NOT cheap, and, for me, it tells a lot about the Manufacturer.
Remember that these are basically products of the Hoya era!
02-03-2016, 11:08 PM   #27
Pentaxian

My K-01 did this from new, my Q did it after a year of so.

It should never happen. My *istDS and K-7 never had the problem, neither did the K-50.
02-03-2016, 11:54 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Having a self-confessed OCD, I already brought my Q to the authorized Pentax service center here. They've already confirmed that it's a dead internal battery. They want to charge around $150 for it. Crazy!

I told them I'll be buying a G Shock instead for that money, if I just want to tell time, and use the change to buy an SD card. And yes I can change the battery in about 3 to 5 seconds.

Last edited by drypenn; 02-03-2016 at 11:59 PM.
02-04-2016, 12:22 AM   #29

Original Poster
I'm gonna collect mine today...

On a side note, I'd be okay if there was an option to turn off the constant reminder every time you turn on the camera.
02-04-2016, 07:41 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
It happens with my Q7 every time I change the battery. Irritating, but not terminal.
Can you be sure about that?

Yesterday, the Q7 of mine with the clock problem gave up the ghost.
When I pressed the shutter button partially, the lens (08) would focus,
but the shutter just wouldn't fire.

Since a repair could end up costing as much as what I paid for the body in the first place,
that Q7 may just be laid to rest with the folding cameras in my "photographic museum".