Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2016, 09:06 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I read that too. Did not work for me and several others who tried.
Should not be a factor in any case.
Interesting. Worked like a charm for me.

02-10-2016, 02:12 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by Dev_Komatsu Quote
A while back I read online (it may even have been in here) that if you remove the memory card before removing the battery it fixes the problem. And it does.
I tried this, it worked, and I thought it was a nice tip.
In fact, it wasn't.
Because it works, weither the memory card is there or not.
And it works, with a fully loaded battery.
Then you can insert or remove the battery for a short period of time, and you keep the date setting (Q & Q7 for me). OK.*

I think that the fully loaded battery gives enough power to the camera (the internal battery of the camera?) for a short period of time, so the camera is able to keep the setting in memory.
But during a shooting session, if I change an almost dry battery with a new one, it doesn't work, and I have to set the date. (already with the Q and now with the Q7).
(and same thing at home, naturally)

*This doesn't work with every camera, because, I think, it depends of the "health" of the camera : Is that camera able to "borrow" some power to a fully loaded battery, or not ? (that is the question)

Please, check, and confirm, or not.
02-10-2016, 06:59 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Phenix jc Quote
I tried this, it worked, and I thought it was a nice tip.
In fact, it wasn't.
Because it works, weither the memory card is there or not.
And it works, with a fully loaded battery.
Then you can insert or remove the battery for a short period of time, and you keep the date setting (Q & Q7 for me). OK.*

I think that the fully loaded battery gives enough power to the camera (the internal battery of the camera?) for a short period of time, so the camera is able to keep the setting in memory.
But during a shooting session, if I change an almost dry battery with a new one, it doesn't work, and I have to set the date. (already with the Q and now with the Q7).
(and same thing at home, naturally)

*This doesn't work with every camera, because, I think, it depends of the "health" of the camera : Is that camera able to "borrow" some power to a fully loaded battery, or not ? (that is the question)

Please, check, and confirm, or not.
At another photography forum where I am a regular, someone stated in an authoritative fashion (yes, I know he may or may not know what he is talking about) that modern cameras have a small rechargeable battery which keeps the clock going during battery changes, but not much past that. I don't know whether he is correct. My experience, with both the Q-7 and the K-30, is that fits what I am seeing. Whatever is true, the system used by Pentax seems to lose power / length of keeping time without the primary battery as the camera ages.

Now, the thing I'm wondering is this: does what we are seeing mean that a Q draws a very very very small amount from its primary battery even when the camera is turned off? If so, what are the implications of that?
01-23-2021, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #34

Possibly solution for losing time and date after battery change

Before changing the battery, leave the camera switched ‘on’ for a while (say 10 minutes). Than change the battery. Start using the camera more often. This worked for me on a Q7.

01-23-2021, 08:12 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcelq7 Quote
Before changing the battery, leave the camera switched ‘on’ for a while (say 10 minutes). Than change the battery. Start using the camera more often. This worked for me on a Q7.
Welcome to Pentax forums and the Q. Your tip makes a lot of sense, and taking more photos is always a good idea.
Thanks,
barondla