Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2016, 01:00 AM   #1

Q - losing date/time setting

Every time I turn on the camera it asks me to set the time & date... This has been happening for a couple of years, but I realised that it is actually stopping me from using the camera.

Is there an internal battery that is drained or is it a software issue? Should I try a firmware change? is it down to how the memory cards are formatted? I'm really lost & I'd appreciate any advice...

01-21-2016, 01:23 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It happens with my Q7 every time I change the battery. Irritating, but not terminal.
01-21-2016, 02:35 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Its probably an internal button cell battery that is empty. I don't know if its easily replaceable.
01-21-2016, 03:41 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I agree that it might be a cell battery. I've found a repair shop that will be cheap, so I'll drop it in over the weekend and let you know how I get on.

www.repairingcamera.com does exactly what it says on the tin...

01-21-2016, 05:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah mine does that. Every time I change the battery. annoying, but no super big deal.
01-21-2016, 05:36 AM   #6
Unregistered User

The problem described isn't the result of changing the camera function battery - there's another battery inside somewhere that's responsible for maintaining settings regardless of camera function battery changes. The memory used for retaining those settings is contained in CMOS low-voltage semiconductors, same as the BIOS in your computer. When that internal battery loses its oomph, you'll start noticing symptoms analogous to Alzheimer's. Make sure when you have the internal battery replaced you don't do anything to screw up your camera warranty, and that the people who do the surgery know what they're doing with respect to the brand of camera you're getting fixed.
01-21-2016, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
The problem described isn't the result of changing the camera function battery - there's another battery inside somewhere that's responsible for maintaining settings regardless of camera function battery changes. The memory used for retaining those settings is contained in CMOS low-voltage semiconductors, same as the BIOS in your computer. When that internal battery loses its oomph, you'll start noticing symptoms analogous to Alzheimer's. Make sure when you have the internal battery replaced you don't do anything to screw up your camera warranty, and that the people who do the surgery know what they're doing with respect to the brand of camera you're getting fixed.
These guys are old school Indian repair people. They are low tech, but actually generally do a very good job. They work on much more complex equoipment than my Q. Even if they do it up, they'll find a way to make it right... It comes from a culture of repair & value... they aren't highly sophisticated, but neither are they bound by silly union rules... I'm almost 23% sure they'll do a great job

01-21-2016, 07:22 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All of mine too. I just bypass it and ignore the EXIF.
01-21-2016, 08:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I have two of the Q and three of the Q7.
All but two of the Q7 now make me reset the time.
As a result, the clocks on these Q's are the most accurate of all my camera clocks,
since the other ones drift off over the months,
and I can't be bothered to correct them.
01-21-2016, 11:03 AM   #10

This happens to my sisters Q10 and keeps her from using it too. It hasn't happened to mine yet. I never could figure out what the issue was but now I know. Really unfortunate this problem hasn't been addressed.
01-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TedW Quote
This happens to my sisters Q10 and keeps her from using it too. It hasn't happened to mine yet. I never could figure out what the issue was but now I know. Really unfortunate this problem hasn't been addressed.
My Q-7 and K-30 have exactly the same problem - if I leave the main battery out for several hours (I don't have an exact measurement), the camera forgets the current date/time.
01-22-2016, 04:53 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by keithlester Quote
This will always happen if you don't use your camera much and have to charge the battery before every use. The simple solution is to have spare batteries and swap in a newly charged one before you use the camera. There is no faulty internal battery in your Q. There is no point in dismantling your Q to fix the problem. Get out and use your Q every day. It's meant to be an every day fun camera and is super small and compact o it truly will go just out anywhere. If you do that, you will stop having this minor irritation. How do I know all this? It used to happen to me, but now it doesn't. I've taken my own advice.
... Eh no... Thanks for putting in all the effort to type that. But no, you are wrong. Shame.
01-22-2016, 07:28 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
We have an original Q, Q10, Q7 and a Q S1, none of them loose their date when changing batteries. We make sure that there is always a charged battery in the camera (we have about 6 spares) My understanding is that there is NO secondary battery in the camera but a sort of capacitor that keeps things going while one change the battery. If you leave the battery out too long the capacitor looses it's charge and you will have to reset things.
01-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
We have an original Q, Q10, Q7 and a Q S1, none of them lose their date when changing batteries. We make sure that there is always a charged battery in the camera (we have about 6 spares) My understanding is that there is NO secondary battery in the camera but a sort of capacitor that keeps things going while one change the battery. If you leave the battery out too long the capacitor loses it's charge and you will have to reset things.
That fits my experience. With each of my K-30 and Q-7, I was interrupted by something in the middle of switching batteries (in one case, I took the battery out of the Q-7 before fetching the replacement from my camera bag ... and then my wife called me to dinner). By the time I remembered what I had been doing, and came back to the camera, it had forgotten the time. I don't consider this to be a big deal, but if I don't want to have to reset the clock, I have to make switching batteries an uninterpretable task; in particular, I need to have the replacement next to me before I take the current batter out).
01-22-2016, 01:44 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, I stand corrected.