Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2016, 02:34 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Both the battery and the capacitor schemes have been used in various electronic devices. It would be useful if someone determined WHICH choice was relevant to the Q's and posted it as a 'Q-sticky' for future reference.

01-22-2016, 04:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have anyone tried to replace this button cell? I would imagine it would be a nightmare to open up the Q but have anyone tried?
01-22-2016, 07:38 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I've not opened the Q yet, but the K-01 is pretty easy to disassemble, so I imagine the Q would be similar. There really aren't that many external screws. The cell migh tbe soldered in, though.
Even assuming that the battery is readily available, why risk destroying the camera? Having to reset the time after not replacing the battery immediately is a minor annoyance.
02-02-2016, 04:29 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Look at the upper right of the photo in this ebay listing for a Q mainboard. That is a button cell for the CMOS. It is the culprit.

Case closed

Pentax Q Main Board 2 with SD Card Reader Replacement Repair Part DH5871 | eBay

---------- Post added 01-22-16 at 12:53 PM ----------

You are wrong. Get used to it. And they are not "old and redundant." They are standard in pretty much all time-dependent consumer electronics that might be powered down for more than a few minutes. Tiny surface-mount capacitors are not going to give you the kind of trickle discharge you need to keep the clock alive for extended periods.
Thanks, Your picture proved very handy. I should have the camera back in the next couple of days, so I'll report in...

FYI, my 08 lens just arrived today... nothing to do with the thread, just saying

02-02-2016, 11:21 AM   #20

The Q I bought used lost date/time setting a long time ago, but now it's the turn of the Q7 I bought new...
Ok : It's not important, I can live with that.
But this is not serious. This camera was NOT cheap, and, for me, it tells a lot about the Manufacturer.

Last edited by Phenix jc; 02-02-2016 at 11:31 AM. Reason: english
02-02-2016, 11:28 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Phenix jc Quote
The Q I bought used lost date/time setting a long time ago, but now it's the turn of the Q7 I bought new...
This camera was NOT cheap, and, for me, it tells a lot about the Manufacturer.
Remember that these are basically products of the Hoya era!
02-03-2016, 11:08 PM   #22
Veteran Member

My K-01 did this from new, my Q did it after a year of so.

It should never happen. My *istDS and K-7 never had the problem, neither did the K-50.

02-03-2016, 11:54 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Having a self-confessed OCD, I already brought my Q to the authorized Pentax service center here. They've already confirmed that it's a dead internal battery. They want to charge around $150 for it. Crazy!

I told them I'll be buying a G Shock instead for that money, if I just want to tell time, and use the change to buy an SD card. And yes I can change the battery in about 3 to 5 seconds.

Last edited by drypenn; 02-03-2016 at 11:59 PM.
02-04-2016, 12:22 AM   #24

Original Poster
I'm gonna collect mine today...

On a side note, I'd be okay if there was an option to turn off the constant reminder every time you turn on the camera.
02-04-2016, 07:41 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
It happens with my Q7 every time I change the battery. Irritating, but not terminal.
Can you be sure about that?

Yesterday, the Q7 of mine with the clock problem gave up the ghost.
When I pressed the shutter button partially, the lens (08) would focus,
but the shutter just wouldn't fire.

Since a repair could end up costing as much as what I paid for the body in the first place,
that Q7 may just be laid to rest with the folding cameras in my "photographic museum".
02-04-2016, 02:35 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I changed batteries again today - the switch took about three seconds. Still had to reset the date and time.
02-06-2016, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #27

Original Poster
Got the camera back from repair today... he said that he had spent over three hours on it, the boards are wired rather than using more modern techniques, the battery had no information to allow him swap it like for like... in the end he didn't fix it, said I should either get a new memory card board or forget about it... simply too much trouble to replace...
02-06-2016, 10:52 AM   #28

A while back I read online (it may even have been in here) that if you remove the memory card before removing the battery it fixes the problem. And it does.

Last edited by Parallax; 02-06-2016 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Profanity removed
02-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I switched batteries today - took maybe a minute. Time is still OK.
I've had this Q-7 for 13 months now, so that may make part of the difference (but even it does lose time if I don't put a replacement battery in and simply recharge the original and then put the original back)
02-09-2016, 04:45 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dev_Komatsu Quote
A while back I read online (it may even have been in here) that if you remove the memory card before removing the battery it fixes the problem. And it does.
I read that too. Did not work for me and several others who tried.
Should not be a factor in any case.