Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2016, 05:43 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
LCD viewfinder vs image stabilizer?

I just checked on another camera how effective the LCD viewfinder/loupe can be when focusing manual lens via LCD (I'm really impressed). My first impulse was to search the eBay and buy one for my Q. But as it uses magnetic bracket/frame that is glued permanently to the camera I want to ask first if it will not interfere with SR system?

I hope it is a stupid question and both will not interfere, but...

02-16-2016, 05:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
I just checked on another camera how effective the LCD viewfinder/loupe can be when focusing manual lens via LCD (I'm really impressed). My first impulse was to search the eBay and buy one for my Q. But as it uses magnetic bracket/frame that is glued permanently to the camera I want to ask first if it will not interfere with SR system?

I hope it is a stupid question and both will not interfere, but...
I bet that those magnets aren't strong enough...
I have one which is connected to a tripod plate via a magnet and it has never played games with me
02-16-2016, 08:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

No, the SR system wouldn't be affected in any way.

The LCD magnifier I bought for my Q is the one intended for the Nikon One. You have to file out the tripod hole on the bracket a bit to get it to fit the Q, but I like that it is easily removable when I don't need it.

Again, the plastic finder body is held to the bracket with magnets, so when you've got the metal frame in place, the finder pops on and off when required. When you don't plan on using the magnifier at all, just unscrew the bracket.
02-16-2016, 07:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Magnets won't affect the SR. If you have a glass LCD protector on your Q, the stick-on metal frame may not bond as well as it should. I used a hair dryer to heat the frame and the LCD protector but the frame fell off when I was carrying the camera with the loupe unsupported. I'll try again using some mounting tape but the type of loupe that mounts to the Q's tripod socket might be a better option

02-17-2016, 07:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Many thanks for all posting here - it was really useful!
02-17-2016, 02:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

if you get the glue loupe you are restricted to the one camera....the tripod mount ones can be used on other cameras....the Canon one fits the Qs better.
02-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
if you get the glue loupe you are restricted to the one camera....the tripod mount ones can be used on other cameras....the Canon one fits the Qs better.
Originally, I bought (directly from a Chinese merchant) a loupe that magnetically connects to a metal frame which mounted to my Q-7 as a tripod would. That didn't seem to affect the IBIS (the OP's original concern), but the magnets were so weak that it kept falling off; eventually it fell off on a birding walk, and I just didn't notice. Now I'm using one from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GD6XFGQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00; I have to put a small spacer between the the camera and the tripod mount to get it to line up correctly, but it has worked well.

02-17-2016, 03:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Yes, there can be a problem with the magnets....but the things are that cheap that $US 5 delivered is a great option....I have 3 and one that ive had for about 2 years has a magnet problem...