Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2016, 12:31 PM   #1

Q-S1 for video

I use the q-s1 on a tripod to record my basketball games in a gym. The video quality is crisp, and auto-focus for back-and-forth action works great.

But in this setup Im battery life constrained. While i have 3 batteries, i still dont have enough for 2 hrs of basketball.

Can the display be turned off for video? No one is watching during recording.

I also wonder the same question for interval capture. I hope the Q is smart enough to conserve power for long intervals.

Im also having issues with occasional overheating. Im using an eyefi card.

Any suggestion for my setup?

Last edited by 99exposures; 02-21-2016 at 02:59 PM.
02-21-2016, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Albums
I use FUJIFILM DC Coupler CP-50 and Sony PSP-USB micro USB female adapter to drive my Q7 by either standard external battery or power outlet.
02-25-2016, 12:22 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by 99exposures Quote
I use the q-s1 on a tripod to record my basketball games in a gym. The video quality is crisp, and auto-focus for back-and-forth action works great.

But in this setup Im battery life constrained. While i have 3 batteries, i still dont have enough for 2 hrs of basketball.

Can the display be turned off for video? No one is watching during recording.

I also wonder the same question for interval capture. I hope the Q is smart enough to conserve power for long intervals.

There is no option of turning off the screen in Movie Mode. You will notice that Display Off is not an option when you enter Info twice. The best idea is to reduce the brightness of the screen (Menu) and see if that helps. Otherwise take a look at using the AC adapter kit K-AC115. Overheating of the sensor is common when used for long periods. It's why there is a 25 minute time limit.
02-25-2016, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by manual_focus Quote
Overheating of the sensor is common when used for long periods. It's why there is a 25 minute time limit.
Overheating of the sensor has nothing to do with the limit placed on continuous Video shot by cameras.
30 minute limit on video capture could end if WTO group gets its way: Digital Photography Review

02-25-2016, 10:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manual_focus Quote
There is no option of turning off the screen in Movie Mode. You will notice that Display Off is not an option when you enter Info twice. The best idea is to reduce the brightness of the screen (Menu) and see if that helps. Otherwise take a look at using the AC adapter kit K-AC115. Overheating of the sensor is common when used for long periods. It's why there is a 25 minute time limit.
I just tried this on the orig Q, pressing info twice in video mode turns display off (firmware v1.14).

But Q-S1 doesn't work this way. I have suggested this to Ricoh via their customer feedback.
02-26-2016, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #6

I just tried this on the orig Q, pressing info twice in video mode turns display off (firmware v1.14).

But Q-S1 doesn't work this way. I have suggested this to Ricoh via their customer feedback.
Would love to see it happen, especially since it's just firmware.

---------- Post added 02-26-16 at 02:35 AM ----------

I've seen information that having SR in the ON mode in Movie mode adds to the heat of the sensor. As your using a tripod you shouldn't need it anyway.

Good luck.

---------- Post added 02-26-16 at 02:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
Overheating of the sensor has nothing to do with the limit placed on continuous Video shot by cameras.
30 minute limit on video capture could end if WTO group gets its way: Digital Photography Review
Thanks for the information. It's a weird world.
02-26-2016, 07:41 PM   #7

Original Poster

Btw the display can be turned off before recording starts, but not after.

Can anyone verify this feature on the Q7 and Q10?