Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2016, 06:49 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If they could make both of us happy at a reasonable price, then that would be good. However, video alone would not sell it to me, and I'm guessing that the video would have to be better than video on current generation Apple and Samsung smart phones in order for the product to be a "big success"; I don't know how hard that would be, what resources it would take, since those phones start off with compelling computing power.
But keep in mind that phones aren't perfect. Many (most) phones don't let you change batteries on the fly, they don't let you expand your storage, and they just don't have very much flexibility in general because it's such a fixed system. If 4k or even 1440p were to be introduced into something like the Q it'd be considered a much more serious option for sure. Something for the more serious hobbyist in an incredibly simple and easy to use form factor.

Plus not everyone wants to invest in such a high end phone. Many people are happy with the function of their previous generation phones in terms of function. I still use my Note 2 from what people would consider an eternity ago and I wouldn't be willing to drop 800 bucks on a new phone just for a superior camera.

02-24-2016, 07:07 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
4K is here, quite a few TVs have it, laptops are just starting with it...

1080p is heading the same direction as 720 and video tape(all these will linger for a time)

tech changes QUICK, 8K is imminent
This is funny to me. I remember how long HDTV was in coming. It was promised for year after year, decade after decade, and even after it finally began to roll out the whole industry seemed like they were all dragging their feet. (Bluray vs. HD-DVD was the worst.) Personally, I thought they made the standard too complicated. Why 720p and 1080i? Why not just use 720p and let that be the standard for the next 50 years, just like NTSC was before?

With NTSC you couldn't watch movies the way they were intended. The entire back catalog of movies going back decades were badly compromised when viewed at home, and it was a second rate experience. Then we got ATSC, and that seemed to be it. Problem solved! It wasn't exactly like the movie theater, but it was a "close enough" approximation. The transition was a huge upheaval, it took years and bazillions of dollars, but at least we wouldn't have to worry about changing video standards again for a long, long time to come. Hahaha!

I still wonder if anybody really needs anything more than 720p, at least at the consumer's end of the chain.
02-24-2016, 07:19 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yes,720 is quite good....the majority of TV broadcasts in Orstralia are 720,only some sporting events offer 1080 and the difference can be noticed.My TVs are only 1080 but when I put my 4K footage on them,the "visual sensation" jumps up another notch.😁

As time passes my TVs will too,by then most TVs will be 4K..what's the longevity these days of post CRT?
03-03-2016, 04:03 AM   #34
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They should start by fixing the rear LCD resolution and adding an EVF. Then everything else will follow
is it possible to find 3rd party EVF using HDMI input?

03-03-2016, 11:57 AM   #35
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alliumnsk Quote
is it possible to find 3rd party EVF using HDMI input?
You could, but this wouldn't solve the resolution issue and IMO it would kind of defeat the purpose of the Q's compactness. Not sure how easy it would be to hold with an HDMI cable wrapped around it

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-04-2016, 07:12 AM   #36
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You could, but this wouldn't solve the resolution issue and IMO it would kind of defeat the purpose of the Q's compactness. Not sure how easy it would be to hold with an HDMI cable wrapped around it
The main problem I see with most HDMI viewfinders is price, not size -- one could buy Olympus 1 Stylus for their price. I am not going to buy $500 EVF to use with $200 camera xD
I think, maybe there exist cheaper and smaller EVFs.