02-23-2016, 02:37 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is 4K video coming to Q?

Ricoh announced WG-M2, day before yesterday.....same size sensor as Q and Q10

it does 4K uhd ...30fps with a bitrate over 100

I'm wondering if a new sensor will be in ???(next)Q

Q7 and Qs1 have the bigger sensor which is superior

will we have a Q that is specifically 4K video orientated?

I hope so!

02-23-2016, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They should start by fixing the rear LCD resolution and adding an EVF. Then everything else will follow

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-23-2016, 03:13 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Was the WG-M2 farmed out to Asia Optical, like the WG-M1, and some other compacts? If so, then there probably isn't much of a relationship between its sensor/processor/lens and the Q line.
02-23-2016, 03:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They should start by fixing the rear LCD resolution and adding an EVF. Then everything else will follow
Right now I'm pessimistic that they're going to put any more resources into MILC ... but I would love to be surprised by an EVF!!

02-23-2016, 04:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I'd rather see an EVF and weatherproofing on the Q series (especially weatherproofing). Although 4k video would be rather dandy too but I wouldn't hold by breath on that one.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 02-23-2016 at 04:38 PM.
02-23-2016, 04:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I'd rather see an EVF and weatherproofing on the Q series (especially weatherproofing). Although 4k video would be rather dandy too.
I keep hearing that the primary target of the Q family is the Japanese school girl. If that is true, then they need to make it very strong in video. But if that is true, then the Q is probably doooooomed regardless of what they put in or leave out, because I personally don't see how any true camera can complete with a smart phone in that market. I agree WR and EVF would greatly improve the Q, but that would involve going after completely different markets, and would require a new lens or two also, and I'm not convinced that Pentax is prepared to go after those markets.
02-23-2016, 05:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
At this stage the K1 and WG-M2 seem to have been concurrently developed( even though K1 was definitely started earlier)

so WHERE are the R&D $$$$$ going to be spent from now on?

another ASPc dslr?....Q series....mirrorless K mount ?....all 3?

medium format?

02-23-2016, 05:23 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
At this stage the K1 and WG-M2 seem to have been concurrently developed
Again, there probably is no relationship between the two. The WG-M2 was most likely made in China for Ricoh by Asia Optical, like the WG-M1, in which case all the R&D was done by AO's engineering staff, not Ricoh/Pentax.

Ricoh appears to be farming out the consumer products to Asia Optical, and keeping just the high-end stuff in-house. This is why the WG-M1 seemed to be a resytled Kodak SP1 (and a JVC action cam), and the XG-1 was nearly identical to the Kodak AZ522 (and maybe some other superzoom), and the MX-2 was a "twin" of the Olympus XZ-2, and...
02-23-2016, 05:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Again, there probably is no relationship between the two. The WG-M2 was most likely made in China for Ricoh by Asia Optical, like the WG-M1, in which case all the R&D was done by AO's engineering staff, not Ricoh/Pentax.

Ricoh appears to be farming out the consumer products to Asia Optical, and keeping just the high-end stuff in-house. This is why the WG-M1 seemed to be a resytled Kodak SP1 (and a JVC action cam), and the XG-1 was nearly identical to the Kodak AZ522 (and maybe some other superzoom), and the MX-2 was a "twin" of the Olympus XZ-2, and...
Maybe, but I haven't seen anything to directly suggest that the WG-M2 was sourced out, just speculation since there's no equivalents on the market right now.

I'd personally argue that this camera is high end in its category anyways.
02-23-2016, 06:07 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Maybe, but I haven't seen anything to directly suggest that the WG-M2 was sourced out, just speculation since there's no equivalents on the market right now.
Given Ricoh's history with Asia Optical, I'd be very surprised if the follow-on action cam was brought in-house - Ricoh has a relationship with AO, AO has experience designing and producing waterproof/rugged action cams, so why would Ricoh use money and resources to start from scratch?

It's not like Ricoh is too proud to work with a partner to get products that meet their lineup needs, even for flagship products. (Tamron lenses come to mind.)

Edit: Kodak's 4K action cam, the SP360 4K, which also has an 8MP 1/2.3" sensor, came out last year, BTW. The lenses are different and it's not watersealed, and it may not even be the exact same sensor, but there are plenty of similarities in the electronic specs.

Last edited by THoog; 02-23-2016 at 06:36 PM.
02-23-2016, 07:09 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
"concurrently developed"

concurrent....simultaneous...at the same time....

relevance of history of past cameras is nil....may or may not be similar....but time will tell....location and whether in house or out doesn't matter....either comes out of the R&D budget

the thread is about the future....

where are the next lot of R&D $$$$$ going?

everyone has their wish list of features and weve heard them numerous times
02-23-2016, 08:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

WG-M2 is a 1/2.3 sensor. Latest Q-7 and Q-S1 are larger 1/1.7.
02-23-2016, 08:17 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
YES, correct.....so is this 4K sensor going in a new Q?....or can they incorporate it into the 2nd sensor?

most people love the step up of Q7 and QS1, me included....punches a long way above its weight....

BUT, I'd settle for the smaller size to have 4K
02-23-2016, 08:31 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

relevance of history of past cameras is nil.
Then why did you start the thread by comparing the WG-M2 to the Q and them having the same sensor???

location and whether in house or out doesn't matter....either comes out of the R&D budget
I don't think that's true. If Asia Optical does the work to design and build a camera with 4K for Kodak (and then Ricoh), Ricoh doesn't gains any knowledge about 4K video for their other product lines. They just have a product to sell. Just like Tamron designing and building lenses for Pentax doesn't mean that Pentax gains experience designing lenses. So it IS significant whether a product is developed in-house, if you are trying to connect that product to the development of another product. But whatever.

As to the future - based on prior timing, Pentax is due for another APS-C body this year, if the K-1 did not disrupt the schedule too much. They are overdue for another Q. This week at CP+, they may hint as to their intentions, but they rarely say anything before a product is ready for launch.
02-23-2016, 08:45 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OH, did I compare the sensors?

what you think? isn't true?....

what releveance is the past to the future?....do you get it?......zero, anything is possible today and tomorrow....yesterdays GONE!

once again, i'll point out that this thread is about whats going to happen with the R&D efforts

history doesn't come into it....